Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

power for remote container.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Glenn Philbrick28/02/2020 12:29:11
228 forum posts
59 photos

We have solar panels to charge a couple of batteries for charging and to power our weather station as well the mower all powered by solar panels. However in the winter the batteries often go flat so we bought a 1200w wind turbine from Bangood, it comes with a rectifier and we have power control units for the solar panels but I have been told we need some form of load for the wind turbine when everything is fully charges otherwise it will overheat. we also want to install lighting in the container so we can see whats going on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Glenn

Alan Gorham_28/02/2020 12:47:11
1165 forum posts
133 photos

I'm in no way an expert but in a PV installatrion you use a charge controller to disconnect the PV panels from the batteries.

Surely there are wind turbine charge controllers that automatically apply the load to the turbine when the batteries are disconnected/charged?

Dane Crosby28/02/2020 12:47:12
244 forum posts
23 photos

Try a yacht or boat Chandler. The yachts I see in harbour have their little wind turbines rotating all the time. I imagine some sort of shunt impedance may be used.

Michael Barclay28/02/2020 18:04:46
89 forum posts
53 photos

As a boatbuilder I fitted quite a few of these and it is normal to have a dump resistor in the circuit to avoid frying the battery bank. Best contact the manufacturer and ask thier recommendation for the particular model you have installed.

Edited By Michael Barclay on 28/02/2020 18:05:51

Bucksboy28/02/2020 19:00:26
563 forum posts
106 photos

We’ve got a similar container without mains power. We have to haul a solar panel in and out to charge the leisure batteries. Leaving anything outside will eventually get destroyed. Not necessarily in the first week or month, but eventually.
We've installed LED lights in the hut and these are movement activated, members kept on leaving the lights on by mistake. These came from Screwfix or somewhere similar.

gangster29/02/2020 08:55:42
995 forum posts
17 photos

Yea go with the boat theme this is a common situation and regulators are readily available

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
CADMA
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us