By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dai Fledermaus12/03/2020 18:20:10
1057 forum posts
52 photos

Our Club has just decided to close the field until Easter in view of the Corona virus outbreak.. Given the majority of club our members are of a certain age and a number have health issues of some kind or other, I can't disagree with that decision too much. Better safe than sorry and the weather is not exactly conducive to model flying anyway.

Gary Manuel12/03/2020 18:25:43
2255 forum posts
1548 photos

I'm no expert but I'm inclined to disagree.

It's outdoors in the fresh air. Modellers don't normally cuddle each other, so as long as everyone keeps a reasonable distance, they should be fine. Probably safer at the field than going shopping or to the garden centre with Mrs Modeller.

Ron Gray12/03/2020 18:28:20
1920 forum posts
799 photos

I tend to agree with Gary, no kissing or cuddling and you should be fine.

Robert Parker12/03/2020 18:35:18
966 forum posts
1317 photos

We have cancelled our monthly meetings until May.

Like your club Dai, we are also of a certain age or rapidly approaching it in my case.

Though we have not been able to fly much as the weather just not suitable at the present.

It just means that we have more time to build.

Regards

Robert

Edited By Robert Parker on 12/03/2020 18:35:31

Former Member12/03/2020 18:39:49

[This posting has been removed]

kevin b12/03/2020 19:00:33
1823 forum posts
145 photos

At the moment our flying activities are being treated as normal (that is, we can't fly because of the bad weather), so if an opportunity arrives we get out and fly. However we are a small club and unless arranged it is very rare for there to be more than a couple of us at the field at the same time.

It is though, the month for our club AGM. The committee (all 3 of us) decided that this year we would postpone it to a time when the situation has calmed down a bit. It won't make any difference. The club is still solvent and nobody wants to be on the committee anyway !

john stones 112/03/2020 19:17:44
11453 forum posts
1516 photos

Stopping open for me, anyone needing a break from the crazies is fine by me.

kc12/03/2020 19:40:08
6423 forum posts
173 photos

My club cancelled last nights indoor meeting which seems reasonable, but I hope they keep the field open so we can get out in the fresh air soon. If we fly we should not handle other peoples gear - Tx, tools etc etc if at all possible - as a sensible precaution as well as standing well apart when chatting.

flight112/03/2020 19:45:40
722 forum posts
36 photos

All i can say about is Don't panic mr mainwaring!

A bit of common sence is all that is required wash hands etc and if any cough cold type symptoms , self isolate to protect others and go flying if no symptoms, as that will proberly be the safest place to be out in the middle of a field in the fresh air and away from the masses.

SIMON CRAGG12/03/2020 20:25:08
562 forum posts
5 photos

We have cancelled all club meetings (village hall), for the foreseeable future, but field still fully operational.

Better weather next week a well!

John Privett12/03/2020 20:29:10
6039 forum posts
241 photos

I can fully understand clubs cancelling/postponing AGMS, indoor meetings, etc.

But surely keeping the field open would make more sense, and allowing members to make their own decisions about the risks of attending in the open air. That's assuming we get any flyable weather this side of Christmas...

Tim Flyer12/03/2020 21:58:30
1272 forum posts
234 photos

I think it’s pointless and over restrictive closing our field . Unless people have tiny fields and crowded pits, surely members can be relied on to keep enough distance between each other and maintain personal hygiene . I guess at some clubs members may have trouble restraining themselves😉

ASH.12/03/2020 22:05:37
334 forum posts
Posted by Gary Manuel on 12/03/2020 18:25:43:

I'm no expert but I'm inclined to disagree.

It's outdoors in the fresh air. Modellers don't normally cuddle each other, so as long as everyone keeps a reasonable distance, they should be fine. Probably safer at the field than going shopping or to the garden centre with Mrs Modeller.

Absolutely! Nothing better than being out in the fresh air.

Also, if people have health conditions and don't want to risk it - then they don't go!

Trevor Crook12/03/2020 22:15:28
942 forum posts
67 photos

As I understand it, the precautions involve avoiding being coughed or sneezed at, and avoiding virus transmission via hard surfaces. There should be very little risk at a flying session, closing the field seems melodramatic. I always carry a pack of disinfectant wipes to clean my hands before my coffee and biccy, and when I go to the field tomorrow I shall use them after handling the field gate. Avoid someone else handling your model or transmitter, take some wipes or cleaning gel, and the risk should be neglegable. I'm sure my visit to the supermarket today was far more dangerous!

Bob Cotsford12/03/2020 22:19:54
8390 forum posts
463 photos

Right now there's more danger of drowning at our field! One has to wonder whether glow fuel would be an effective disinfectant too?

Brian Cooper12/03/2020 23:48:22
536 forum posts
26 photos

Our local club field is not usable at the moment due to it being too wet and too soft underfoot. However, it will probably (hopefully) be usable in the next couple of weeks.

As a club, we will not voluntarily be closing the field. People will be free to come or stay away from the field as they see fit. . Most are eager to start using the field again, and are looking forward to happily inhaling some fresh exhaust fumes. wink

Touching: We are not football players so we don't engage in idiotic, excited, unbridled kissing and cuddling every time someone performs a decent landing. thinking

B.C.

Peter Jenkins13/03/2020 00:08:12
1520 forum posts
254 photos
Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 12/03/2020 18:20:10:

Our Club has just decided to close the field until Easter in view of the Corona virus outbreak.. Given the majority of club our members are of a certain age and a number have health issues of some kind or other, I can't disagree with that decision too much. Better safe than sorry and the weather is not exactly conducive to model flying anyway.

What a quaint idea. Are you going to stop going out and isolate yourselves? The flying field is probably the least dangerous place to be provided you keep upwind of those coughing and sneezing and 2 mtrs from them.

Martin Harris13/03/2020 01:56:25
9263 forum posts
245 photos

I'm thinking of proposing a ban at our club on electric powered models for the duration of the crisis in favour of the much derided glow engined models, the fuel for which is of course alcohol based and must therefore give a level of protection to users, bathing them and bystanders in a miasma of protective vapours...

wink

Old Geezer13/03/2020 08:22:40
670 forum posts

When our patch dries out enough to get our cars on and off I will definitely be going flying again - BUT no handshakes ( I've never ever seen a man-hug up there so that's never going to be a problem! ). Regrettably that'll be the end of our breakfast meetings for a while tho' I guess. But realistically 8 or 10 old guys in the middle of 8 or 10 acres of Shropshire countryside a public health risk do not make. Similarly, a few fishermen strung out around a mile of reservoir bank are unlikely to put one another, or anybody else, at risk. Both activities should be viewed in a positive light, the benefits of the feeling of wellbeing after a session means a marginal (at least!) improvement in your resistance to infections - that would equally apply to a decent walk, perhaps not in a big group though.

CARPERFECT13/03/2020 08:44:12
504 forum posts
9 photos

We have a monthly club meeting, and are in the process of cancelling it for this month, then see how things are. Given that the majority of our members are of an age , that are susceptible to getting it and would be very ill or worse. The committee have taken the decision.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!