Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

How to Make Wheels, Mannock Build Part 14

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Cliff 195913/03/2020 19:19:37
473 forum posts
76 photos

I was surprised at the cost of the larger scale-type wheels for my Mannock build so this is how I made my own for less than a quarter of the price of shop bought.

Doc Marten13/03/2020 23:01:44
539 forum posts
7 photos

I'm enjoying following the build Cliff, thanks for posting.

My tip for making anything round and symmetrical is to bolt all your blanks together and chuck it into a power drill then sand to shape, it saves a lot of time, is accurate and it's repeatable.

Hope this is useful, keep posting chap.

Cliff 195914/03/2020 09:15:13
473 forum posts
76 photos

Thanks Doc, it just seemed easier at the time but you're right of course. It's also a lot more fun lol. Sorry about the thumbnail picture by the way, you should have seen the other contenders!

fly boy314/03/2020 09:53:47
3670 forum posts
22 photos

Yes, Cliff. The price of vintage type Palmer Chord wheels are mind boggling. Making them your self qualifies you to be called a true modeller lol. You have done an exellent job there at a fraction of the price. Well done. I also liked the vid. too, thanks

J D 814/03/2020 13:13:40
1439 forum posts
84 photos

Hi Cliff, If you have trouble keeping your glued tires together large rubber O rings are available. Their normal use is mounting exhausts on large vans and trucks. Can be had in many sizes and thickness.

Cheers, John.

Cliff 195914/03/2020 13:41:11
473 forum posts
76 photos

Thanks, I couldn't resist bolting it up this morning before work, doesn't it look nice when you start bolting things together?

Mannock uc.jpg

Cliff 195914/03/2020 13:48:32
473 forum posts
76 photos
Posted by J D 8 on 14/03/2020 13:13:40:

Hi Cliff, If you have trouble keeping your glued tires together large rubber O rings are available. Their normal use is mounting exhausts on large vans and trucks. Can be had in many sizes and thickness.

Cheers, John.

Thanks John, I did consider those actually but the Neoprene is a lot lighter, plus if I pulled the joint with all my strength I don't think it would break at the joint, the CA seemed to soak into the 'end grain'

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!