By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

How to Make Wheels, Mannock Build Part 14

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Cliff 195913/03/2020 19:19:37
556 forum posts
79 photos

I was surprised at the cost of the larger scale-type wheels for my Mannock build so this is how I made my own for less than a quarter of the price of shop bought.

Doc Marten13/03/2020 23:01:44
984 forum posts
19 photos

I'm enjoying following the build Cliff, thanks for posting.

My tip for making anything round and symmetrical is to bolt all your blanks together and chuck it into a power drill then sand to shape, it saves a lot of time, is accurate and it's repeatable.

Hope this is useful, keep posting chap.

Cliff 195914/03/2020 09:15:13
556 forum posts
79 photos

Thanks Doc, it just seemed easier at the time but you're right of course. It's also a lot more fun lol. Sorry about the thumbnail picture by the way, you should have seen the other contenders!

fly boy314/03/2020 09:53:47
3783 forum posts
22 photos

Yes, Cliff. The price of vintage type Palmer Chord wheels are mind boggling. Making them your self qualifies you to be called a true modeller lol. You have done an exellent job there at a fraction of the price. Well done. I also liked the vid. too, thanks

J D 814/03/2020 13:13:40
1650 forum posts
83 photos

Hi Cliff, If you have trouble keeping your glued tires together large rubber O rings are available. Their normal use is mounting exhausts on large vans and trucks. Can be had in many sizes and thickness.

Cheers, John.

Cliff 195914/03/2020 13:41:11
556 forum posts
79 photos

Thanks, I couldn't resist bolting it up this morning before work, doesn't it look nice when you start bolting things together?

Mannock uc.jpg

Cliff 195914/03/2020 13:48:32
556 forum posts
79 photos
Posted by J D 8 on 14/03/2020 13:13:40:

Hi Cliff, If you have trouble keeping your glued tires together large rubber O rings are available. Their normal use is mounting exhausts on large vans and trucks. Can be had in many sizes and thickness.

Cheers, John.

Thanks John, I did consider those actually but the Neoprene is a lot lighter, plus if I pulled the joint with all my strength I don't think it would break at the joint, the CA seemed to soak into the 'end grain'

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Subscribe now
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!