Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Drone crashes are now investigated by the AAIB

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve J14/03/2020 08:45:27
1836 forum posts
52 photos

The AAIB were investigating commercial SUA incidents before last July. They looked at one at Hinkley Point in mid-2017.

Pete B - Moderator14/03/2020 17:50:46
7641 forum posts
733 photos

Gents, apologies for something beyond my control. I edited the title as requested after looking at the thread which definitely contained a number of posts. I saved the one-letter change and all except Steve J's post had disappeared into the ether when the page re-loaded....crook

It wasn't finger trouble, honest!

Please feel free to post the thread opener again, leccythumbs up

Pete

leccyflyer14/03/2020 18:18:06
1420 forum posts
317 photos

No probs Pete - it's better that my mistake in the thread title is corrected - the change that you made is what I meant it to be.

I was surprised to learn that drone crashes were being investigated by the AAIB since last year and posted a report of a recent incident in CrudenBay, where a drone crashed onto a historic church during an aerial survey of the church roof.

link

Mike T14/03/2020 20:07:10
489 forum posts
37 photos

When I first read this thread, I thought "wouldn't it be great if the AAIB could be got to investigate all our crashes?"

They'd lay out your wreckage in one of their hangars, interrogate you and your radio gear, examine your airframe minutely, then publish a report pinpointing, definitively the cause of your crash. Peace of mind and an end to fruitless speculation!

Then I read the link that Leccy posted:

“The cause of the control signal loss was not established.”

So - they have no more bleddy idea than we have! smiley

leccyflyer14/03/2020 20:17:38
1420 forum posts
317 photos

Mike - aren't all of your crashes investigated by the WCOLOG, same as mine?

WCOLOG = Watching Crowd Of Laughing Old Geezers

Don Fry14/03/2020 21:01:10
4557 forum posts
54 photos

Out of all the models I have broken, i can say, 2 were not my fault. One a receiver fail. One a mid air.

Best I can say about the rest is some were retired too late, and broke up in mid hooligan.

So in rifle terms, nut behind the butt, is the problem.

I have seen an actual fight however. It went up, it went dead, it fell to earth. You shot me down, no I didn't. And the bloke with a dead before arrrival aircraft launched into an assault, without intent to touch, but it was very realistic.

eflightray15/03/2020 16:03:44
620 forum posts
132 photos

Until you have personally flown RC models, who would believe that tree branches can move and grab a model, hedged can physically jump up to stop a passing model clearing them, bushes can transplant themselves instantly into the path of a model.

I'm sure any accident investigation team would deny it happens, but we know it does happen.

Don Fry15/03/2020 17:06:29
4557 forum posts
54 photos

Yea, but in fairness, I've hit the same moving tree twice, perhaps it has grown. Back to these drones, one I read, professional operator dumped a few kilos of quad into a dispersed croud, from hight. Cause failed motor. Cause of failure, water egress into a motor. Motor has a water egress tell tale, showing water in.

Thats a failure at A then. And the idiot was potentially permitted to file permissions to put me at risk, without seeking my permission.

Simon Chaddock15/03/2020 20:17:51
5687 forum posts
3024 photos

The interesting bit to me was in the January report there were also quite a list of commercial quad crashes (DJI Matrice) and almost all were caused by either motor or ESC failure which resulted in an uncontrolled descent by 5 kg quad directly into the ground.

The AAIB pointed out that to the unprotected (no hard hat) this could be a potentially lethal situation. They also commented that the same failure in a plane would be unlikely to have the same outcome.

They made no recommendation on this subject but the inference is clear.

Toni Reynaud16/03/2020 06:45:46
423 forum posts
58 photos

"Until you have personally flown RC models, who would believe that tree branches can move and grab a model, hedged can physically jump up to stop a passing model clearing them, bushes can transplant themselves instantly into the path of a model."

Plus 1 for that - there is one particular tree near our patch that caught me twice!

Peter Miller16/03/2020 08:28:38
10948 forum posts
1272 photos
10 articles

It is NOT that trees and hedges move. They just create huge vacuums that suck model down into them

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!