Forum sponsored by CML

Thunder Tiger 42

probs!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
anthony dodson18/01/2009 13:52:27
23 forum posts
1 photos
hi can any one help i have a thunder tiger 42 2 stroke it used to run well but now for no reason it will run on the ground can do a nose up test and will be fine but as soon as i take off the engine splutters after a couple of curcuits it goes dead stick
Bruce Richards18/01/2009 14:00:01
1849 forum posts
Have you checked the fuel tank and clunk?
anthony dodson18/01/2009 14:08:27
23 forum posts
1 photos
yes ive tried it in another model with another fuel tank,to keep it running it has to be really rich normally about 3 and a half turns out on the needle valve
Myron Beaumont18/01/2009 14:15:51
5797 forum posts
51 photos
Is your tank pressurised ? Are there any leaking joints ? You probably know all the grandmother sucking eggs replies but 'tis difficult do diagnose an illness when the "patient " is absent
Bruce Richards18/01/2009 14:15:59
1849 forum posts
Is it possible that there is an air leak somewhere. Does the engine stop when you close the carb right down?
anthony dodson18/01/2009 14:27:04
23 forum posts
1 photos
yes i think its been a bit iffy on tick over shutting right back and im pretty sure the engine shuts down the tank is pressurised
simon barr18/01/2009 15:31:54
1034 forum posts
16 photos

Hello Anthony,

Sounds like you need to change your glow plug.

anthony dodson18/01/2009 18:33:20
23 forum posts
1 photos
hi simon i've tried that so def not the glow plug even my mates who have been flying years are baffled
Chris Channon19/01/2009 10:14:35
539 forum posts
Hi Anthony,
If you have to wind the needle valve out futher than you used to, it might be that you have a partial blockage in the needle valve assy, it could be something silly like a slither of silicone fuel tube or even a peice of grass/ seed. Take the needle valve out, have a really good look down the hole, give it a good blow through and see if it is any better.
Just a thought,
Chris
Jim Carss19/01/2009 10:24:36
2066 forum posts
80 photos
Anthony, Is the engine enclosed in the cowl,if so it could be overheating. Jim
Andrew Lawrence22/01/2009 20:50:45
9 forum posts
i have a thunder tiger gp 42 and was close to binning it, was very reliable for around 6 months then began playing up.

Would run great on ground but once airebourne had the same symptoms,would do a couple of circuits then begin to surge and sometimes deadstick.

once back on the ground would start and run as normal.

Tried allsorts including new glow plug,replaced all lines,noticed fuel foaming so fitted a felt clunk.

Problem tuned out to be clamp style engine mount had weakened and was allowing the engine to move when the throttle was opened wide,once the engine moved this was slightly closing the throttle and causing the revs to drop and engine move back and the cycle repeated.

Due to the engine clamps weakness there was also a lot of vibration causing the  fuel foaming described.

A\nswer was to replace engine mount with decent one,been fine ever since.

May not be the case here but just a thought.
anthony dodson30/01/2009 20:07:41
23 forum posts
1 photos
hi thanks all for the suggestions will give them a try
Steve Hargreaves - Moderator03/02/2009 12:48:28
6720 forum posts
189 photos
Are you using a remote needle? I had a similar experience with an SC motor & it turned out to be a bit of dirt floating around in the part of the carb where the needle valve assembly (nva) would screw if it was mounted on the carb (is that clear??). If you're using a remote nva this is usually fitted with a blanking plug. On the SC we took the blanking plug out & there was a piece of dirt floating around....the engine ran fine for a whilr until the dirt interfered with the fuel flow & then it stopped!! The dirt floated free again & the whole cycle was repeated!!!

Ah yes we had some fun finding that one.......!!!

Other than that, loose carb, head or backplate screws can cause some leaks/problems....

Has the clunk tube come off in the tank? Engine will run fine until the end of the tube is exposed.....has the clunk folded back on itself? (shake the model...you should hear it rattle)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us