Forum sponsored by CML

Radio

Which one?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Phil Green23/05/2020 12:18:35
1598 forum posts
339 photos

Graupner - Hott is good, but if buying used, avoid IFS, its essentially XPS which is Xbee based and has many briefly documented failures, briefly because the owner of XPS moderates the XPS thread on RCG. Graupner rapidly moved from IFS to Hott which is a much better system, CC2500 based.

john stones 123/05/2020 12:20:14
11541 forum posts
1517 photos

Nowt wrong with "Fanboys" we all fit in there somewhere, If you think you don't, you're most likely mistaken.

I fly with a JR 9X with a FRSKY module in, It's the dogs Doodahs, I also own a Taranis That's even more capable, but unless I pester a club mate to set models up for me, I struggle with It, I am either too lazy to put the effort into learning, or too thick.

Phil Green23/05/2020 12:45:31
1598 forum posts
339 photos
Posted by john stones 1 on 23/05/2020 12:20:14:

Nowt wrong with "Fanboys" we all fit in there somewhere, If you think you don't, you're most likely mistaken.

I dont - I have no brand loyalty at all John - I'll run anything that works smiley

john stones 123/05/2020 12:48:01
11541 forum posts
1517 photos
Posted by Phil Green on 23/05/2020 12:45:31:

I dont - I have no brand loyalty at all John - I'll run anything that works smiley

There's more than radio in our hobby, you'll fit the "Fanboy" tag somewhere. wink

Phil Green23/05/2020 12:51:18
1598 forum posts
339 photos

The radio is my hobby!

Doc Marten23/05/2020 12:55:15
584 forum posts
8 photos
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 23/05/2020 10:48:14:
Posted by Doc Marten on 23/05/2020 09:53:47:

How come the new Graupner trannies never get recommended?

Have you seen this statement on Airteks website **LINK**

So they are still being made but a lack of European distribution due to a change in trading legislation means they have temporarily suspended sales?

Frank Skilbeck23/05/2020 13:22:45
4736 forum posts
101 photos
Posted by Doc Marten on 23/05/2020 12:55:15:
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 23/05/2020 10:48:14:
Posted by Doc Marten on 23/05/2020 09:53:47:

How come the new Graupner trannies never get recommended?

Have you seen this statement on Airteks website **LINK**

So they are still being made but a lack of European distribution due to a change in trading legislation means they have temporarily suspended sales?

Not legislation, Graupner Europe went bust and so far nobody else has decided to import, distribute and provide support , and there is no clear date for them being reintroduced. Bit the same with JR, their transmitters are still being made by the company (DEA?) that got the manufacturing rights but they are like rocking horse droppings.

Richard Clark 223/05/2020 13:51:36
295 forum posts

I fly with a JR 9X with a FRSKY module in, It's the dogs Doodahs, I also own a Taranis That's even more capable, but unless I pester a club mate to set models up for me, I struggle with It, I am either too lazy to put the effort into learning, or too thick.

I don't. Unlike 'fanboys' I justify things I buy, to myself only, BEFORE buying them. Not afterwards. Fanboys are just 'evangelists' - "Join MY religion, it's the only true one",

Take radios. Shortly after they came out I bought a Multiplex Evo simply because the transmitter didn't look like a 1950's jukebox, as the 'Asian' ones do, JR particularly so,

Was it any good? Well - it failed with an intermittent fault about 18 months later and the service people couldn't fix it in three attempts though they thought they had. Two crashes later I bought a new one only because I had about 20 receivers by then so I was stuck with the Multiplex system. The new one, which has a totally different main circuit board, has been fine now for about ten years.

Would I recommend one to you? No. I don't want the blame if it develops a fault or you just don't get on with it.

On your other comment, having spent the last 30 years plus in designing 'big' computer operating systems, your difficulty with the Taranis is not you being lazy or thick, it's because the Taranis has a 'user hostile' interface. You can tell that by all the nerdy questions people keep asking - the hobby is toy planes, not computer software.

john stones 123/05/2020 13:58:34
11541 forum posts
1517 photos
Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 23/05/2020 13:51:36:

I don't. Unlike 'fanboys' I justify things I buy, to myself only, BEFORE buying them. Not afterwards. Fanboys are just 'evangelists' - "Join MY religion, it's the only true one",

Take radios. Shortly after they came out I bought a Multiplex Evo simply because the transmitter didn't look like a 1950's jukebox, as the 'Asian' ones do, JR particularly so,

Was it any good? Well - it failed with an intermittent fault about 18 months later and the service people couldn't fix it in three attempts though they thought they had. Two crashes later I bought a new one only because I had about 20 receivers by then so I was stuck with the Multiplex system. The new one, which has a totally different main circuit board, has been fine now for about ten years.

Would I recommend one to you? No. I don't want the blame if it develops a fault or you just don't get on with it.

On your other comment, having spent the last 30 years plus in designing 'big' computer operating systems, your difficulty with the Taranis is not you being lazy or thick, it's because the Taranis has a 'user hostile' interface. You can tell that by all the nerdy questions people keep asking - the hobby is toy planes, not computer software.

Oddly enough YOU don't get to define what the hobby is, others have their own thoughts, and more power to them. Same with the "BIG" stuff you helped design, it don't qualify you to define me, Taranis is good kit, I'm lazy and haven't put the effort in, I can say that, you've no way of knowing. You sound very worked up about not a lot.

Phil Green23/05/2020 14:04:25
1598 forum posts
339 photos

Won't it be brilliant when we can all just go flying with whatever gear we happen to have

(Hope your lad's picking up John, slow process from broken bones...)

john stones 123/05/2020 14:08:52
11541 forum posts
1517 photos
Posted by Phil Green on 23/05/2020 14:04:25:

Won't it be brilliant when we can all just go flying with whatever gear we happen to have

(Hope your lad's picking up John, slow process from broken bones...)

Thanks Phil, he'll mend. Feeling better now swellings going down, and they're sorting him Wednesday.smiley

Soz mods, off topic. embarrassed

Richard Clark 223/05/2020 14:37:33
295 forum posts
Posted by john stones 1 on 23/05/2020 13:58:34:
Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 23/05/2020 13:51:36:

Oddly enough YOU don't get to define what the hobby is, others have their own thoughts, and more power to them. Same with the "BIG" stuff you helped design, it don't qualify you to define me, Taranis is good kit, I'm lazy and haven't put the effort in, I can say that, you've no way of knowing. You sound very worked up about not a lot.

You want to get 'personal' about this, fine. I'm not going to.

Andy4823/05/2020 15:05:01
1545 forum posts
9 photos
Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 23/05/2020 11:47:03:

As for OpenTx, while 'open' in theory, in practice, with only two makes supporting it, FrSky and (I believe) Turnigy, it isn't 'open' in the commonly accepted sense at all. Compare that with all TVs having an HDMI interface, for example.

And its off-putting 'fanboyism' is nearly as bad as Apple's

You have this completely the wrong way round. OpenTX is "open" because the source code is freely available and open to anyone to adapt and use for free.

No transmitter manufacturers "support" it, though several make use of it.

Richard Clark 223/05/2020 18:15:16
295 forum posts
Posted by Andy48 on 23/05/2020 15:05:01:
Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 23/05/2020 11:47:03:

As for OpenTx, while 'open' in theory, in practice, with only two makes supporting it, FrSky and (I believe) Turnigy, it isn't 'open' in the commonly accepted sense at all. Compare that with all TVs having an HDMI interface, for example.

And its off-putting 'fanboyism' is nearly as bad as Apple's

You have this completely the wrong way round. OpenTX is "open" because the source code is freely available and open to anyone to adapt and use for free.

No transmitter manufacturers "support" it, though several make use of it.

Well, yes. I know the difference between an interface, (hardware, such as an HDMI socket with its pins and voltage/current allocations), and 'support'. It was just an analogy and analogies are never exact or they wouldn't be analogies.

'Support' means, at a minimum, the ability to load it and run it. There was talk that the Multiplex Evo/Royal and Profi transmitters would be able to do this. But they didn't, which is a pity. Not only would it have been 'nice to have' as an option on their 'perceived' high-quality transmitter (remember the Horus wasn't in existence then) it would have been easy to do as they already support online updates including sufficient memory to hold two versions of the software, and it may also have expanded their market.

In actual 'day to day' practice 'openness' not only means open source but a large variety of machines that will load and run it. . And that we don't have, unfortunately, even though it's simple enough to do.

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 23/05/2020 18:18:20

Richard Clark 223/05/2020 18:16:32
295 forum posts
Duplicate

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 23/05/2020 18:17:52

Richard Clark 223/05/2020 18:41:02
295 forum posts
Posted by Phil Green on 23/05/2020 12:51:18:

The radio is my hobby!

The radio is a tool, that's all. But h I have to admit that I build more and more planes, all fitted with radio, that each one gets flown less and less.

Though my main hobby seems to be trying to get the fan/motor/number of cells combination on a test rig mounted EDF anywhere near close to the published thrust claims

Martin McIntosh23/05/2020 19:14:50
3433 forum posts
1215 photos

John S,

Same as me, 2x DSX9 and a 9x2 with FrSky and Orange modules. Same as you with my Taranis.

john stones 123/05/2020 19:23:45
11541 forum posts
1517 photos
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 23/05/2020 19:14:50:

John S,

Same as me, 2x DSX9 and a 9x2 with FrSky and Orange modules. Same as you with my Taranis.

You're a wise man Martin. face 1

Andy4823/05/2020 19:36:32
1545 forum posts
9 photos
Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 23/05/2020 18:15:16:

Well, yes. I know the difference between an interface, (hardware, such as an HDMI socket with its pins and voltage/current allocations), and 'support'. It was just an analogy and analogies are never exact or they wouldn't be analogies.

'Support' means, at a minimum, the ability to load it and run it. There was talk that the Multiplex Evo/Royal and Profi transmitters would be able to do this. But they didn't, which is a pity. Not only would it have been 'nice to have' as an option on their 'perceived' high-quality transmitter (remember the Horus wasn't in existence then) it would have been easy to do as they already support online updates including sufficient memory to hold two versions of the software, and it may also have expanded their market.

In actual 'day to day' practice 'openness' not only means open source but a large variety of machines that will load and run it. . And that we don't have, unfortunately, even though it's simple enough to do.

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 23/05/2020 18:18:20

OK, you've made your point that you don't like OpenTX though you've never used it, and clearly know very little about it. The rest of this waffle makes very little sense in the limited market of RC transmitters and the few manufacturers of that equipment that exist.

Jonathan M23/05/2020 20:04:19
735 forum posts
290 photos

Just a point about setting up a new model on any transmitter (mine just happens to be a Taranis):

I start with a basic template which either I've programmed myself following the instruction manual (e.g. basic fixed-wing power like an EP Wot4 or similar), or copied from more advanced freely-available ones (e.g. F3K, F3RES, variable-camber slope soarers, etc) where I then normally stick with exactly with the programmed switches etc, or alter these slightly to suit my preferences.

When I then acquire a new model, all I then need to do is copy the programme from an existing model of exactly the same type into a new model and bind that to the RX. All that's then left to do is just adjust the throws and expo to suit the new model.

On the more complex downloaded templates (i.e thermal soarers with multiple flight-modes, voices, etc, and also pre-loaded competition timers and tasks) I must confess to not understanding a lot of the more advanced programming, but then I don't actually need to! All I need to do is adjust throws etc, which is all in the usual non-advanced parts of the menus.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!