By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

I never thought it would come to this....

Advice needed on buying a "Flying Ceiling Tile!"

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Davis23/03/2020 09:11:30
3683 forum posts
688 photos

In common with all French residents I am confined to the house and garden. If we go out we need to have a specific reason to do so, to go to work, to take the dog for a walk "a la proximité du domicile," to buy food etc and even then we are supposed to carry an "attestation" with us to explain why we are not at home which the police can ask us to produce at any time.

There is a lad in our club, Erwan, who builds and flies patternships but he does have one ARTF, one of those profile foam aerobatic things with flat plate wings and a small electric motor held together by pieces of string. Aesthetically I dislike them intensely and call them "Flying Ceiling Tiles!" Erwan uses his to practise manoeuvres for competition and I've seen that they can be flown very slowly in a small space. I have been having a look at my back garden, which is about 4000 square metres, and have concluded if I remove one of the fences, which I was intending to do anyway, I could fly a "Flying Ceiling Tile" in my back garden and keep up my indifferent flying skills. With anything else I'd run an increased risk of hitting the trees.

So, I never thought that it would come to this but one of those flying ceiling tiles is probably my best option but don't tell anybody else! I still dislike them aesthetically but needs must.

Question is, "Which one do I buy?"

Over to you.

Couple of views of the garden at different times of the year below. view from kichen window 26th november 2017.jpg

its not autumn yet in la creuse.jpg

Gary Manuel23/03/2020 09:27:58
2255 forum posts
1548 photos

Hi David.

Lovely garden!

My opinion for what it's worth is that whatever you fly in your garden, you are likely to crash it into a hedge / fence / tree or whatever. On that basis I'd go for something that can stand the occasional bit of rough treatment and be easily repaired.

Denis Watkins23/03/2020 09:48:49
4334 forum posts
104 photos

Have a look at BRC Hobbies for the Tetra, flys on 6A ESC, 300mah 2S, indoor and outdoor

401236.jpg

John Muir23/03/2020 09:50:10
379 forum posts
1 photos

A 32'' span Twisted Hobbys model, such as a Crack Yak or small Beaver. You wouldn't even need to lose the fence. Check Youtube or RC groups for videos. Made of EPP (nothing to do with ceiling tiles, if it makes you feel any better) so tough as old boots and made for flying, not for looking at. I was flying my Crack Yak yesterday from just outside my back door. Hand launch and can land almost vertically. Great fun.

Colin Carpenter23/03/2020 09:56:17
635 forum posts
35 photos

How about a chopper ? 😎😎😎

Simon Chaddock23/03/2020 10:10:58
5692 forum posts
3026 photos

My own opinion is it is not much the physical space as the wind or rather the turbulence caused from surrounding tress that will effectively limit how often you can fly. In a true zero wind it is like flying indoors so your garden with its unlimited ceiling height (within airspace rules!) is 'big' provided your plane flies slowly enough.

If you can build yourself it does not even have to be that tough as it can always be repaired and it helps to pass the time. wink 2

David Davis23/03/2020 10:39:49
3683 forum posts
688 photos
Posted by Simon Chaddock on 23/03/2020 10:10:58:

My own opinion is it is not much the physical space as the wind or rather the turbulence caused from surrounding tress that will effectively limit how often you can fly. In a true zero wind it is like flying indoors so your garden with its unlimited ceiling height (within airspace rules!) is 'big' provided your plane flies slowly enough.

If you can build yourself it does not even have to be that tough as it can always be repaired and it helps to pass the time. wink 2

I tend to build rather big and heavy Simon.

still a long way to go but we all do this dont we (1).jpg

Mowerman23/03/2020 10:51:47
1552 forum posts
105 photos

Look up plans for the Nutball an work from that, will fly very slowly and could be made from ceiling tilesnutball 2 x.jpg

David Davis23/03/2020 10:56:38
3683 forum posts
688 photos

Perhaps I'll go scale with a Crack Camel! **LINK**

I've been given a part-built Mick Reeves 1/3rd scale Camel to complete but I doubt if I'll live long enough!

Bob Cotsford23/03/2020 11:06:01
8390 forum posts
463 photos

Don't be put off by the looks of things like the Nutball, UFO and similar. They may not look like conventional aircraft and they certainly don't do precision aerobatics but they do fly well, they're tough, cheap, easy to build and perfect for small spaces.

Chris Walby23/03/2020 11:24:02
1199 forum posts
299 photos

I am with Moweman with the Nutball, They are easy to make and fly (unless you fancy doing inverted figures of eight!). Rolls and loops are possible which is not bad for rudder and elevator only control surfaces.

The local Scout group all managed a buddy flight each in an hour, not bad for four pilots and 21 scouts!

Only casualty of the evening was one Nutball lost in the adjacent field and despite extensive searching including FW camera, drone and cameras on a pole we could not find it.

That was until harvest time...It would appear the combine did not like the Nutball and reassuring it spat it out.

20190823_165555.jpg

kc23/03/2020 11:42:10
6423 forum posts
173 photos

With all those trees around something like the Nutball with rounded wings and low aspect ratio might be less susceptible to catching in the treetops....

Lots of Nutball and similar designs online of course.

Robert Welford23/03/2020 11:49:48
184 forum posts
4 photos

Prune the trees either side of the gap and what's the problem even for a fast aerobatic model

Peter Russell (RCM & E Straight & Level columnist) used to fly his STOL out of his garden. Plan here: STOL Plan

Edited By Robert Welford on 23/03/2020 11:50:05

kc23/03/2020 12:00:59
6423 forum posts
173 photos

I looked back in the forum to find the thread started by David Mellor which covered his innovative simple foam etc designs similar to Nutball but all I could find were deleted items showing " former member" and all the info missing. If it's all been deleted it's a huge loss of all that good info. Anybody know what happened to the thread?

David Davis23/03/2020 12:11:27
3683 forum posts
688 photos

I would consider building a Nutball other than the fact that I'm a traditional balsa and ply man at heart and I don't have stocks of foam. Furthermore, if I wanted to buy some from a builders' merchants, they're all closed as per government edict.

I have a Peter Russell STOL plan in my collection. I also obtained his STOL fuselage and tailplane from the Boothill Corner of the Shropshire Model Flying Club's club hut when I was a member there five years ago but I gave it to a Scotsman on holiday last summer. we "met" through these pages!

Phil Green23/03/2020 12:13:20
1582 forum posts
318 photos

Whatever you choose, make a Nutball anyway - takes an hour max and they're just brilliant fun in small spaces.
I've slope-soared mine too!

They can be made of almost any sheet foam, I used flooring insulation.

img_1337.jpg

David Davis23/03/2020 12:25:35
3683 forum posts
688 photos
Posted by Phil Green on 23/03/2020 12:13:20:

Whatever you choose, make a Nutball anyway - takes an hour max and they're just brilliant fun in small spaces.
I've slope-soared mine too!

They can be made of almost any sheet foam, I used flooring insulation.

img_1337.jpg

If I can get hold of any foam I will.

Bob Cotsford23/03/2020 13:07:35
8390 forum posts
463 photos

Why not make it from balsa if that's what you have? Nice 4*1/4*1/16" laminated ring outer with 1/4*1/8" spars/ribs, cover with whatever is to hand - doped christmas wrap? Got a PeeWee or TD 020? Stick that on it. Give it elevons or just elevator/rudder. They really are non-critical designs.

Second idea - how about an Ebenezer with micro r/c?

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 23/03/2020 13:09:45

David perry 106/04/2020 21:56:45
1036 forum posts
13 photos

The Nutball is really nice...reminds me of Mick Reeves Disco!

Does anyone do mail order depron? Collection is obviously out these days...

David

Nigel R07/04/2020 10:10:21
3744 forum posts
586 photos

"I would consider building a Nutball other than the fact that I'm a traditional balsa and ply man at heart and I don't have stocks of foam."

Second what Bob says. These things are great fun when finished. Laminate the outline, add in a few "spars" and "ribs". Cover the result. It'll take a bit longer than sawing it from sheet foam but will be just as good.

They fly - with throttle down and low rate movement - very slowly, they are stable and easy to do laid back circuits. With big movements, they will do six foot loops, rapid rolls. Juggle the throttle and they excel at a harrier (ish) crawl. With some power they scoot along quite rapidly.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!