By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Complete a pack swordfish

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dougie Swan 127/03/2020 18:58:17
40 forum posts

Hi I have a cap fairey swordfish kit that will be my next build while I am furloughed from work

It seems complete but there are no build notes, we're there any supplied with the kit originally, and if so can anyone help with a copy of them

Thanks

Dougie

Eric Robson28/03/2020 09:58:17
179 forum posts
33 photos

Hi Dougie,

The original C.A.P. kits came without instructions, they came out at a time when rtf was buying something someone else had built from a kit. Most modellers were builders at that time and were used to working from plans. I have built some CAP models from plans and 2 from kits. I found that they tended to be very heavy if built as plan so I reduced the thickness of the ply and balsa where possible. I know this is not a lot of use to you but unless the later producers of these kits (I believe Flair made them for a while) included instructions you are on your own.

Eric r.

Cliff Bastow28/03/2020 10:05:10
885 forum posts
456 photos

Hi Dougie,

I have a C.A.P. Gladiator and can confirm it came with no instructions.

I would also echo the comments about them tending to come out very heavy.

cliff.

Russ P28/03/2020 11:24:37
148 forum posts
19 photos

Hi I've been building the Cap Gladiator for the past 6 months and the only instructions are notes on the plan. You will need to work out a building plan yourself from the plan notes.

Also I've found the laser cut parts do not match the plan and will need tinkering to fit. I've tried to dry fit before gluing and working out a process to follow. Definitely not an easy build!

I bought the kit and all the accessories for £30, when I checked on Sarik it would cost £280 so can't complain, its just taking ages to complete. Made a lot of progress these past few weeks.

brokenenglish28/03/2020 12:01:13
552 forum posts
29 photos
Posted by Russ P on 28/03/2020 11:24:37:

Also I've found the laser cut parts do not match the plan and will need tinkering to fit.

If you have an original CAP kit, they were decades before laser cutting! Probably band-sawn.

I still have a CAP Tiger Moth kit that I picked up from Earlston in 1976.

Dougie Swan 129/03/2020 10:41:31
40 forum posts

Thanks for all the replies

Sometimes working things out on my own keeps the old brain ticking over

Dougie

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!