Forum sponsored by CML

Gardening help needed

What is it?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Erfolg28/03/2020 14:02:43
11710 forum posts
1309 photos

I have a bush that is slowly dying in the garden. I would like to replace it with something similar, but what is it?

The flowers, are out now

wp_20200328_13_13_15_pro.jpg

The bush

wp_20200328_13_13_27_pro.jpg

In some ways it is similar to the Cherry Blossom at the front, althogh< it does seem different.

wp_20180422_12_45_46_pro.jpg

I have a pile of old tree stumps, I found this on a few, what are they.

wp_20200328_13_17_30_pro.jpg

I knocked it of, this is the underneath

wp_20200328_13_17_22_pro.jpg

Does any one know what type of bush this is. These are seed pods on it.

wp_20200106_15_37_03_pro.jpg

cymaz28/03/2020 14:15:44
9196 forum posts
1186 photos

Look like Leylandii cypress seeds

King Alfred’s cake AKA, cramp ball fungus or coal fungus

Edited By cymaz on 28/03/2020 14:17:54

Edited By cymaz on 28/03/2020 14:20:28

john stones 128/03/2020 14:34:18
11453 forum posts
1516 photos

Looks like a type of Daphne, conifer is one of the supposed dwarfs aka slow growing, which one, no idea.

Erfolg28/03/2020 16:57:00
11710 forum posts
1309 photos

Cymaz, spot on with the coal fungus, I will leave them alone, now I know that they present no problem.

I think that John has it with the Daphne, conifer, which leylandii is probably one type. The bush is about 9-12 foot high, being growing for about 10-20 years at a guess, from considering the previous owners. Could be much older.

There is another very small conifer, which is about 6 foot high, which is near to a perfect cone. I wonder what it is. I will post another time, hopefully you will know what it is (I am curious).

The garden was a total mess when we moved in, although when buying the property Ihad not noticed at all. But then again, I have never had any Interest, until now. I could see that some one was a very keen gardener at some point. In that there is a structure reminiscent of the picture postcard types of the late 60s I am guessing. There were some specimen trees in the garden, which had grown to such a size that they were a problem (I was told what they were by next doors gardener, I promptly forgot what they were. I just knew that one was in a (large) tanked enclosure, that was flush with the ground. The other was a eucalyptus tree of some type.

I hope you continue to educate me, as I endeavor to return the garden to something like it might have been.

Thanks for your help

Mike Blandford28/03/2020 17:18:25
619 forum posts
25 photos

My wife looked the bush up and reckons it is a Viburnum. There are several different types that flower at different times and have slightly different foliage.

Mike

cymaz28/03/2020 17:58:37
9196 forum posts
1186 photos

I’m no gardener....I’m just told to dig there, cut that and mow what I stand on. Simples

Bruce Collinson28/03/2020 19:13:23
515 forum posts

I’m one step behind Cymaz but if it really is a eucalyptus then be aware that they are not really suitable for British gardens, tending to outgrow their roots and blow over. Also I recall that they desiccate subsoil more than even oaks, willows and poplars.

BTC

Charles Scott-Knox-Gore28/03/2020 21:42:14
6 forum posts

Erfolg. The pink flowered bush is definitely a viburnum. Fabulous scent and flowers through the winter. Try and preserve it if you can: mine responds well to severe pruning after flowering - ie into late spring or early summer

john stones 128/03/2020 22:17:45
11453 forum posts
1516 photos

This one looks close.

Chris Stevenson28/03/2020 22:22:34
38 forum posts
10 photos

Hi Erfolg, I think you have a Viburnam bodnantese “Dawn” .You could cut it hard back to 12 inches of stump and if watered and fed it might shoot. If not I think a replacement is required.

Erfolg02/04/2020 11:17:51
11710 forum posts
1309 photos

Yet again thanks to all, with emphasis this time with respect to both Charles and John.

My Viburnum is almost certainly dying, albeit slowly, as each successive year another part of the bush dies. A couple of major limbs are totally dead.

As an understatement, it is most unfortunate that both the Garden Centres/nurseries and us are part of the lock down. My wife particularly enjoys visiting one of the almost local nurseries, where we have sourced many of the bulbs and shrubs that are in the garden. These are to fill the vacant space that was left after I stripped out the ground covering ivy that covered everything, completely the boundary wall as well as the ground and into the various trees. We also had a particular issue with what i thought was English Willow. I was subsequently told that they were some sort of coppicing tree that propergated principally by ground runners every 6-10 feet. Some areas were impenetrable, combined with bramble and nettles. One of my granddaughters loved it, as long as I got rid of the nettles.

I am reluctant to use the magazine plant offers, mainly because even I like to see what the plant looks like.

wp_20200328_18_06_57_pro.jpg

wp_20200328_18_08_51_pro.jpg

In a way I am pleased with the transformation so far, what it is today.

There is just the problem, in that I know nothing about plants or gardening. I have only been able to do the obvious. I think I have got back to some one elses vision, in a basic way.

From now one I suspect i need to be told more about what to do and how to do it.

As an aside I put up the shed and seat, that area was previously just a jungle. A small smug achievement.

kc02/04/2020 11:40:25
6423 forum posts
173 photos

That garden looks fine. The covered seat looks a good idea - do you have netting draped at the front to keep birds and animals out?

SR 7102/04/2020 12:04:24
433 forum posts
140 photos

Lovely garden Erfolg, from what you have been discribing a lot of work has gone into that since you bought it, i love a nice garden, just dont like the job of maintaining it, enjoy creating it though

cymaz02/04/2020 12:12:20
9196 forum posts
1186 photos

Garden goes west to east ? Bound to get plenty of sun thenstarsmile d

Erfolg02/04/2020 13:40:53
11710 forum posts
1309 photos

Cymaz, yes South Facing.

Thanks for the compliments. The reality is a lot could be done. For one who did not go out much into our previous garden, other than to run up a engine, more latterly a motor, I now can spend some time on the patio, with a beer, when the weather finally warms up.

Our previous house had a golf course (1/2 hole) at the back, I felt quite happy flying my indoor twin rotor Sea King type rescue helicopter in it. I had even flown my indoor Depron type models from it (as well as on the golf course in winter, when there was a high). Now I cannot because of the house opposite and now being (due to the expanded zone) within the controlled air space of either Blackpool Airport or maybe BAE Warton, GGGRRRRRRRRRangry

The biggest nuisance, is the constant wind.

The best I can now do is a bit of taxing and motor tests.

john stones 102/04/2020 15:12:03
11453 forum posts
1516 photos

Nice big garden Erf.

Erfolg02/04/2020 15:31:25
11710 forum posts
1309 photos

What may interest you a little, is that my previous club was surrounded by trees, that is every where. Switching from a glider Guider, to a power type flyer, in wide open spaces, I landed in the trees as well as hitting the odd one.

The relevant bit, is that I learnt how to fell a mature tree, have it crash to the ground, where it was wanted, and how to do it safely. That is not hurt myself or others or end up with the tree falling into another.

At the back of the present garden, there was a fir type tree, about 50 feet tall. Nothing grew under it, other than the ivy. With my then modeling experience, I knew that using a tree saw would take for ever to get it down. I might not fell it in a day, partially cut, it could end up falling at any time anywhere. I went out and bought a Chainsaw. I managed to fell it, falling diagonally, missing the bushes, and just short of the patio wall.

The other thing i learnt, was that ground clearance, generates a lot of waste plants. That the best way of managing the subsequent mountain is to burn it. Which I did, flames leapt to considerable height, the heat was intense, taking about a couple of hours to burn all of it. The neighbors opposite were not pleased, sent the environment officer round later. The EA was OK about it though, saying the odd fire is not an issue.

Now who says you do not learn life skills as an aeromodeler.smiley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!