Forum sponsored by CML

Tim Hoopers Cygnet

Building the Hawker Cygnet from Tim Hooper plan

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gothiquity18/04/2020 20:56:56
42 forum posts
61 photos

Onwards and not quite upwards yet. 3 more weeks of lockdown, will the cygnet be ready ( unlikley, it deserves time to be taken with it ). I'll be happy if both sets of wings are done.

So finished off infilling the nose section of the frame with 1/4 sheet and triangle bracing

thc f16.jpg

thc f17.jpg

Pretty happy with how well that went together , then attacked the diagonal bracing in the rear fuselage

thc f18.jpg

Its really impressive just how strong and light this fuselage is, first time Ive actually done this type of open structure, usually the planes i build have sheet slab fuselages. Was concerned this may be fragile and prone to breaking , but after trying to flex it the thing is rock solid.

Following my earlier near miss with the stern post Ive now added the 1/8 sheet balsa outer sheets and some scrap balsa inside to provide some meat for the hinges

thc f19.jpg

Again not too unhappy with how that works, have already tried the rudder against it and it sesm to fit ok for sizing.

Due to an earlier issue with the one main wing Ive done , im now waiting ( like most modellers i suspect) for more balsa to arrive. So whilst im waiting for that to arrive I turned my attention to the brass work.

thc h1.jpg So the above represents all the rigging plates for the cygnet , I have searched the net and forums and havent found out what thickness brass sheet should be used for this type of application. I used what i happened to have in my shed. Seems good enough for now. Also did the PCB board rudder pull pull horn, two more of these to make for the pull pull elevator.

thanks for following

Goth

Edited By Gothiquity on 18/04/2020 21:03:42

Tim Hooper18/04/2020 22:25:08
2899 forum posts
2406 photos

Wonderful stuff, Goth!

Tim

Gothiquity21/04/2020 21:05:07
42 forum posts
61 photos

Not much done , managed to get the under carriage fettled, , never enjoy wire bending , always seems to go a tad wonky.

Followed Tim's lead and used a jig block to set it up, seems to have worked ok

thc u1.jpg

thc u2.jpg

Was initially too agressive on the 10SWG wire and actually snapped it mid bend , thankfully I had enough spare to remake it. First time soldering brass and making brass saddle clamps.

Must invest in one of those wire bending tools.

Dont have any of those scale looking hair bungees to hand either, just my luck my wife doesnt wear em.

Learning so much on this build it really is an eye opener , and its making me realise hwo something that loosk complex can actually be straight forwards if you take your time.

Still no wood yet so will tackle the cabane struts next .

happy modelling

Goth

Edited By Gothiquity on 21/04/2020 21:06:01

Gothiquity25/04/2020 21:55:16
42 forum posts
61 photos

Well the wood finally turned up courtesy of SLEC & The Balsa Cabin. So i revisted the main wings again.

I had made one main wing initaily however I had made a few mistakes and whilst the end product looked ok, and would probably had worked I wasnt happy with it.

So here are the mistakes I made and the solution I have now used

Initaily i took a copy of the wing from the plan to work on , which worked great unitil after finishing the left wing and trying to create a mirror copy I could not get the size to match. Solution I had read online about sticking the plan on a window and tracing a mirror copy, however I opted to buy some velum ( semi transparent paper) and printed onto that, so one plane for the wing and i just flip it over for the opposite side guarunteed same size both sides.

Wing Tip, I thought I had been really clever measuring the end of the wing spar and making the maximum step size in the wing laminations the same, quickly realised when i offered my wing tip up to the leading edge that i had got it very wrong. Solution obvious really but study the build log , see how it looks on the prototype and make sure mine matches, in this case the plan has the wrong LE dimensions on it, but I figured out the right one using the front wing rib and riblets as a guauge for the LE suize then used that as my wing tip guide.

The old age measure twice cut once springs to mind.

When building the wing you are supposed to use a 1/4 inch balsa piece for the mid rib section where the interplane struts attach, it is marked on the plan, but I goofed and missed it instead using a 3/32 piece, when I realised I tried shimming it with an additional 1/16th either side, and it was obvioulsy close, but I didnt like fudging it. Solution pay attention to the plan

Capping strips , never applied capping strips, (i know never lived have I) so searched online for how to do it.

Found a lovely video from a Mr Danny Fenton showing the exact way to fit a cap strip using CA glue .So I tried. The problem was the capping strips are full chord on the cygnet and in Danny's video he only fits partial ones. The CA glue I was using was the thin stuff and it had gone off before I had fitted the full cap. Solution i used wood glue, gave me more time to adjust and fit.

So quite a catalogue of issues, none of them probably a show stopper in real terms, although different sized main wings could have had some intersting effects on latereal CoG and manouvreing. However part of the challenge of this build for me is to get it as right as i can, no shortcuts, no fudging.

I accept that their are many ways to achieve the end goal , lots of different methods and I guess what im learnig here is to find the method that works for me , given the tools and skills I have. Some of you reading this may disagree with my chosen solutioms, but this is just what worked for me this time, next build around I may need to adopt a different method or shock horror I may actually improve my skills.

Anyway the main wing second attempt is now done, photos below.

thc w1a.jpg

thc w2a.jpg

thc w3a.jpg

So yes, my mistakes cost me time and a little money and a few more grey hairs, however im happier with the end result.

Thanks for following this build so far , stay safe and happy modelling.

Goth

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!