By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

NEW POLL - Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Mike Etheridge 130/03/2020 22:07:32
1544 forum posts
429 photos

With aeromodelling still in mind, Lockdown has encouraged me to carry out domestic repairs first to my garden fence damaged by storm Dennis which also destroyed the plastic covering on our cheap greenhouse. So two days ago I repaired the plastic covering, and my wife decided to plant any number of seeds in pots and trays that we put in the greenhouse. Well yesterday's strong north easterly winds blew the greenhouse down so you can imagine the state of my wife's flower pots and trays.

Prior to Christmas I put all my planes in the loft and that's where they have stayed since the Coronavirus scare. But I have it in mind to finish off a Flair Cub refurbishment and I have other plane kits to start plus for the last three years I have intended to fit a four stroke motor in my acquired KK Falcon that currently has a Merco 49 installed. The enlarged Falcon built by Chris Bates looks impressive.

Peter Jenkins30/03/2020 23:37:58
1529 forum posts
256 photos

Been building on and off since 1963! However, after getting back into balsa bashing last year with a Gangster 75, I've now started a TopFlite Mustang. The secret to finishing the builds is to write a build blog as there is then pressure on me to finish the job! So far, so good, but there are a few changes that I'm intending to make so that will slow down the build as I figure out how best to make these changes.

iqon31/03/2020 01:13:02
1481 forum posts
239 photos

No, I have enough.

Jason-I31/03/2020 06:40:40
308 forum posts
42 photos

Nope. I was already part way through a build before the virus kicked in, but now, as a key worker, I am in work even longer hours so have no time to continue with the build. Easter holidays & bank holidays are cancelled too, so no building to be done then either.

Just as well I suppose, because I am still waiting for covering film to come back into stock at HobbyKing. Oracover is just too expensive. (Plus I have more than enough models anyway)

Trevor Crook31/03/2020 07:30:05
944 forum posts
67 photos

Ordered a Chipmunk kit from Phoenix MP yesterday - all balsa construction, should keep me busy.

Rob, my son scaled up the little Hornet to about 58" span. Retracts and flaps fitted, leccy powered, flies a treat.

Basil31/03/2020 12:22:42
52 forum posts

Started Dawn flyer as I've had the stuff around for some time. Wanted to do a Li'l cub but still need some parts .

Things around the home need to be spread out if we are couped up for 12 weeks, at least thats what I told my wife!!!!!!!

Barry

Charles Scott-Knox-Gore31/03/2020 12:37:17
6 forum posts

Finished Peter Miller's Ohmen, now ready to fly.(RTF) Mended crash-damaged DB Tiger Moth, RTF when cowl re-painted. Mended crash damaged (virtually demolished) Freedom Rebel EDF, almost RTF. Mended motorised K7 glider (given to me with fuselage broken in half) now RTF.

Can't fly now, so finishing West Wings rubber powered Hawker Hart (started 17 years ago!!). All done, and RTF, but probably wouldn't dare launch it even if allowed, so now carving a scale (ish) propellor out of solid yew, for better display.A very interesting exercise.

Main job now is 1/4 scale DB Gipsy Moth, which has been sitting on a shelf for over a year. Much looking forward to that, but memsahib keeps finding irritating little details like gardening and decorating that seem suddenly to have become urgent

Neil James31/03/2020 13:52:46
46 forum posts
21 photos

I haven’t built a traditional kit for years. Having had a lengthy break from modelling I bought a few ARTF models to get going again as well as updating a few old ones but I still had a couple of kits bought over 20 years ago and I bought a few new ones last year too. I’d started on one earlier this year (a PMP Chipmunk) but having been quarantined for the last 2 weeks it’s progressed so quickly I’m starting on the next one - a SIG Rascal. Got a glider kit going too. There’s a Lazy Bee and an E-stik next in the queue and I’m mulling over a TN 72” Lancaster.

It’s been much more satisfying than assembling a foamie and takes me right back to my first basic C/L models built over 50 years ago. I’m going to be busy with maiden flights when all this blows over!

Paul Ellis 431/03/2020 19:00:47
7 forum posts

After building "biggish" RC models I decided to go back to my roots ans build the Doug McHard Hurricane. It was designed fro rubber power but I found a CO2 motor kicking about in my bottom drawer so it's going to be FF.

I just need a fetcher mite now as my 73 year old knees aren't up the retrieval job any more. Do they still exist? BTW building this small really tests your skills.

I'd forgotten the sound of a snapping 1/16" square stringer!

Paul

kevin b31/03/2020 19:13:14
1823 forum posts
145 photos

Paul.

I don't think it so much as tests your skills, as your dexterity and eyesight. smile d

Robin Colbourne31/03/2020 19:24:28
554 forum posts
17 photos
Posted by iqon on 31/03/2020 01:13:02:

No, I have enough.

'Ere, iqon, I think your wife is posting on your account when you're out of the room!

john stones 131/03/2020 19:25:03
11456 forum posts
1516 photos

No for me, finishing off models left wanting plumbing and setting up, got two done, two to go.

Sock draw tidied, I went with matching colours, do hankies go with undies or socks ?

Dave Cunnington31/03/2020 19:37:21
171 forum posts
57 photos

Careful John, your OCD is showing

kevin b31/03/2020 20:15:45
1823 forum posts
145 photos
Posted by john stones 1 on 31/03/2020 19:25:03:

No for me, finishing off models left wanting plumbing and setting up, got two done, two to go.

Sock draw tidied, I went with matching colours, do hankies go with undies or socks ?

I hope you ironed them all first !

devil

Paul Ellis 401/04/2020 12:46:40
7 forum posts
Posted by kevin b on 31/03/2020 19:13:14:

Paul.

I don't think it so much as tests your skills, as your dexterity and eyesight. smile d

That's probably why I've made such a bish of it!

Geoff Copping01/04/2020 13:34:18
27 forum posts
3 photos

Recently got back into modelling after 20+ year break. Started with a ROC Hobby 2200 foam eglider which I flew a few times last year.

Next was an Art Hobby 2.7m Odyssey bungee launch glider which I managed to fly a couple of times, one really good thermal flight, between the windy rainy days.

Then an Evolution Fusion which I've only flown a couple of times but great fun, again dodging gales and rain.

Gales and rain continuing so built a BMFA Frog that I picked up at the nationals a couple of years ago, followed by a Guillows Lancer, that had been sat on a cupboard for a few months, but the lock down was announced on the day I finished it and, guess what? no rain, no gales, beautiful sunshine but could only look out of the window.

Feeling the urge again and, although I did a lot of different disciplines before, right up to a 60cc Titan tug and all-moulded 3m gliders which I flew in the Peterborough Winter Series, I'm now drawn to the beautiful art of free flight so I've just ordered a Sweet P30 from Free Flight Supplies with a view to taking part in some low-key comps, if I'm ever allowed out again.

Also, I've now regained a stash of off-cuts from all the kits so I'm contemplating scratch building a static model of an HP Victor BSR2 that I used to work on in my RAF days, unless I can work out how to power it without a prop on the front. Might investigate edf.

No toilet rolls left in this van overnight.

Robert Dodd09/04/2020 18:01:21
5 forum posts
6 photos

The lockdown has let me to start a idea I was going to exam closer next winter. It's using a 1950 free flight plan for a Zaunkonig (German trainer) and bring it up to date and install radio etc. It's the first R/C scale model I've done. Plans have been printed, balsa and bits obtained. Now need to look at the drawing and make suitable changes. Hopefully I intend to post a few pictures. It was reading Eric (Winkle) Brown's biography that made me aware to the aeroplane, apparently it was meant to be the easiest thing to fly ever, sounds like its ideal for my piloting skills.

Edited By Robert Dodd on 09/04/2020 18:01:46

dave parnham09/04/2020 18:43:49
176 forum posts
13 photos

Spent all day building a 1/3 scale Vickers Gun for my long stalled BUSA PUP.cool

Ray Wood 409/04/2020 20:19:07
207 forum posts
44 photos

Hi All

Yes gone back to the balsa sticks for a change, 52 years since I built my last KK Invader, most enjoyable 😀

Gypsy & Competitor next !!

Regards Rayimg_20200409_201257.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 4 on 09/04/2020 20:19:47

Stephen Jones10/04/2020 00:10:36
2806 forum posts
1614 photos

Hi, Have been building a KeilKraft Model too.

keilkraft.jpg

Steve.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!