By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

NEW POLL - Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Low pass Pete10/04/2020 06:40:27
265 forum posts
142 photos

I have ordered a SLEC Funfly (ICModel). This should be with me next week. I have a very nice Irvine 46 late model engine (with OS Carb) doing nothing so the Funfly will be a very suitable home for it.

Best to all

Peter

Speaking to SLEC apparently they are selling a lot of model boats at the moment.............wink

Edited By Low pass Pete on 10/04/2020 06:43:10

Jonathan M10/04/2020 08:02:38
818 forum posts
316 photos
Posted by Paul Ellis 4 on 31/03/2020 19:00:47:

After building "biggish" RC models I decided to go back to my roots ans build the Doug McHard Hurricane. It was designed fro rubber power but I found a CO2 motor kicking about in my bottom drawer so it's going to be FF.

I just need a fetcher mite now as my 73 year old knees aren't up the retrieval job any more. Do they still exist? BTW building this small really tests your skills.

I'd forgotten the sound of a snapping 1/16" square stringer!

Paul

1/16" ?? You've got it good! Love the McHard designs though!

I'm deep in the world of 1/20" and 1/32"... building a 16" Pilatus PC-6 Porter from Walt Mooney's design... FF but doing it as a float-plane for pretend ROW (will use a launch-dolly indoors), converted to electric with a 90mAh LiPo and a teeny flight-profiler.

dsc_0010.jpg

dsc_0016.jpg

dsc_0044.jpg

dsc_0054.jpg

dsc_0080.jpg

cymaz10/04/2020 08:30:14
9333 forum posts
1211 photos

I’ve spent my time tidying and throwing stuff out, and ended up with twice as much room in the garage. More than enough room to swing a Maine Coon. Loose items have been mended, it is all the fiddley mundane jobs have been done.

No building or ARF assembly frown

RICHARD WILLS10/04/2020 08:42:29
564 forum posts
86 photos

Here at Warbirds Replicas , Ive offered to do a short run of the now extinct Spitfire kit , but not had much take up .

Could be a resurgennce but not seen it yet , PM me if anyone is interested ,

cymaz10/04/2020 10:36:23
9333 forum posts
1211 photos

Decide to refurbish an old flyer...5 mins with some old spray cans

Before

6a37b2d7-c853-41e6-95bb-5db14003e213.jpeg

After

e872f256-88f7-4917-adac-af81bb579965.jpeg

Edited By cymaz on 10/04/2020 10:37:16

Geoff Copping10/04/2020 11:38:57
39 forum posts
3 photos

I realise that the lockdown is going to be on for longer than it will take to finish my current Sweet P30 so I've decided to build a scale model for the first time.

I've just ordered a plan for a slope soaring Handley Page Victor 82"span. I'd like to convert it from a K2 to a BSR2, which shouldn't be too much trouble but I also fancy trying to make it EDF too as there's no slopes in the Fens.

Should keep me occupied for a while and stop me pining too much looking at the glorious thermal soaring weathercrying

Exaur10/04/2020 12:53:05
4 forum posts

Lockdown has finally given me time to clear out my shed and do the building I had planned for the winter 2 years ago. First balsa building for more than 20 years. I've also subscribed to this Forum and to RCM&E Digital for tips, backissues etc.yes

First;rainbow for anyone working in health services, many many thanks, hope you all get rewarded. And for anyone in RC model business still working please be careful and take time to stay safe sending out orders (like mine)!

I now have "mass produced" fuselages on jig for kits purchased at a show last year, West Wings Pinto. Cambria Elan 100, Cliffwhacker, Astro Hog (from plan, not started yet). Pinto wings in progress - it's a lovely simple kit with great wood.

I'll be here on the Forum for advice a bit ! Next up will be something to spray the models with, i'm getting to grips with airbrush vs mini spray gun vs touch up gun vs spray gun, needle sizes and compressor noise, HP and CFM. So much to understand just to do some painting!

Cheers, Bob

Jonathan M10/04/2020 13:52:20
818 forum posts
316 photos
Posted by Exaur on 10/04/2020 12:53:05:

First;rainbow for anyone working in health services, many many thanks, hope you all get rewarded. And for anyone in RC model business still working please be careful and take time to stay safe sending out orders (like mine)!

thumbs up

Tony Callan10/04/2020 20:47:48
9 forum posts

Well I'm just finishing an F3P plane reduced to 60% in depron so I can fly in the back yard, on the bench is another reduced F3P but in 1/16" balsa, very fragile already. Also have a mini Super 60 in balsa on the bench, again for back yard flying. I'm very high risk so can't leave the house which is driving me nuts. I fancy something not too big again confines of the back yard, up to say 32" but in scale for electric. Perhaps scaling down DB's Bleriot or Blackburn. Has anyone any experience of either of them? The originals are around the 50"+ mark so I may even build one full size. I've built hundreds of planes in the last 50 years and not one of them scale!

Tony.

Edited By Tony Callan on 10/04/2020 20:49:23

Erfolg14/04/2020 12:15:32
11799 forum posts
1346 photos

In many respects the lock down has not released more time.

There is a reason, that reason is my wife is here far more than previously. Her life was very busy in that she would play golf several times a week, also played bowls normally at least once, indoors in winter, outdoors in summer, then there were the grandkids to pick up from school, there dinners to make, 3 days a week at least, plus a sleep over for the youngest granddaughter once a week. My wife was busy. Now try to alleviate the boredom she feels.

Alleviating boredom now involves, walking along the beach in either direction, a few cycle rides, to get further afield. I have discovered that i have shrunk, in height, although developed in girth, which I suspected. My proper bike (for club runs once upon a time), had the seat far to high as my legs were probably 1-2" short of the pedals. I had no idea, how low the handle bars were (and still are) either. This has provided the opportunity to moan about the Environment Agency, the sea defense improvements being over a year behind programme. Although they now reckon it is not, the job was rescopped. Then there is Lancashire County Council, a link road that they have received many millions of pounds unstarted, approx. 5 years after starting the project. A rumour was allowed to circulate it was a builder that was the issue, not having paid there contribution. Records show they made their payments 2 years ago. I have enjoyed this aspect of unforeseen benefits. Yes, grumpies rule!

As for me the time gained in not getting to the flying field is spent in model building activities, that is mainly, although a bit more gardening time is being undertaken. I know nothing about gardening. Nor modeling, judging by my mistakes.

As for modeling, I have undertaken a few repairs, stuck my identifiers into most models, and continue with a RBC Do 335. I have vowed to start a booklet of Tx settings for my various models, as i forget what switch is set for what, spending much time flicking this one then an other. Of course I have a certain logic to switch allocation and sense. Although i do not always remember which models make use of the switches.

I am also undertaking a drawing of a Gee Bee QED. I am contemplating the build of a Mercury kit Aeronca Sedan I have, as the Do335 is taking for ever. Plus I just had a customs demand for £11 for a £16 motor, that I could not buy in the UK, that I bought to keep the project moving along.

julian14/04/2020 22:41:53
93 forum posts
1 photos

James May has started a build blog on a Keil Kraft Invader on Twitter because of the lockdown. It's a shame that he's not posting it on here.

I had lost my modelflying mojo a couple of years ago but cleared my bench at the weekend with a hope to complete a couple of unfinished projects.

cymaz14/04/2020 23:02:41
9333 forum posts
1211 photos

Someone tell him to come over here and get building

DIGGER15/04/2020 06:34:34
187 forum posts
3 photos

At the moment I'm doing a Cyril Carr depron model. It's the Fokker DR1 from the free plan in the Nov 2007 RCM&E mag. I'm also waiting for two kits to arrive, the Cyprus post is very slow due to the no flites and lock down. What I'm waiting for is a Guillows Corsair F4U and a Sterling P61 Black Widow. Both of which I shall rc them.

Chris

Ray Wood 415/04/2020 07:22:46
229 forum posts
44 photos

Hi All,

Yes the KK Invader build sorts out the boys from the men 😀 52 years since I built my first one @ 12 years old, it seemed enormous at the time, now run out of balsa cement, almost a shame to cover it ??

Regards Rayimg_20200410_192531.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 4 on 15/04/2020 07:23:23

Bob Cotsford15/04/2020 10:35:18
8746 forum posts
489 photos

This week, I have been mostly building wings

panic_wing_building[1].jpg

Last week it was one of these

panic_fuselage[1].jpg

What surprised my was the 'Made in Pakistan' sticker on the box, I wasn't aware that they had any kit manufacturing industry there.  Very nice lazer cutting though some of the wood density was probably a compromise between intended function and clean cutting.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 15/04/2020 10:39:01

Jon - Laser Engines15/04/2020 10:41:15
5621 forum posts
271 photos

my building has ground to a halt as i seem to be dealing with a never ending stream of engine rebuilds. I currently have 4 on the go with the OS40 i am attempting to rescue, an ASP160 twin in need of bearings, an SC400 radial in need of more or less everything and getting a full makeover with new pistons and shot blasting, and finally an OS91 im sorting for a customer as a weekend job.

As soon as my bulk order of bearings arrives i will start making progress and then perhaps i can get back to balsa bashing

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 15/04/2020 10:45:19

Richard. W.14/05/2020 11:59:33
71 forum posts

I always build in the traditional, old fashioned way....ARTF/RTF or whatever, just don't hold any attraction for me.

Richard Clark 214/05/2020 12:21:10
426 forum posts
Posted by David Ashby - Moderator on 30/03/2020 09:47:40:

At a user suggestion, are you using the time to get a project underway?

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 30/03/2020 09:53:29

Not really. I've always had some sort of model plane under construction (I don't bother with ARTF's) since I was about ten years old so 'The Virus' hasn't made any difference.

Chris Armstrong09/07/2020 20:44:25
27 forum posts
30 photos

Being furloughed is the kick up the proverbial to get all those 1/2 done projects completed. The only problem is they have to compete with the work on the house/car/garden.

I was tempted to start a new project just for the furlough period but I need a new project embargo as it was getting a bit silly!

Michael Kulagin09/07/2020 21:06:52
14 forum posts

Lock down combined with retirement last September has enabled me to move building to number 1 slot. Finished a Wot 4 Saito 82 powered, now working on a Galaxy Mystic that I started in 2012, Saito 125 for that. Then a choice of a Ben Buckle Falcon, Acro Wot or a recently purchased Warbirds Spitfire. Also on the list for a Warbirds Mustang when they become available.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!