By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Flat Car Battery from non-use of car

How long before a car battery goes flat when car not used?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Richard Acland01/04/2020 19:10:39
106 forum posts
32 photos

If at all possible take the car for a run. Leaving it idle for the three months or more that we are going to be isolated will do it no good. The tyres will flat spot if it sits it the same place for an extended period. I make a point of going for a run at least once a week and getting the engine up to full temperature. If anyone wants to know what you are doing you are going for essential supplies.

Trevor Crook01/04/2020 20:12:38
943 forum posts
67 photos

Indeed. The brakes could also have corrosion build up.

Paul Marsh01/04/2020 22:09:58
3970 forum posts
1190 photos

Also when you start the engine, don't rev the engine for at least 30 seconds, as the oil drains and revving the engine on start up, takes few seconds for oil to reach the rocker assembly, especially on cold oil, which is worse on a laid up motor...

i12fly01/04/2020 23:21:26
632 forum posts
22 photos

I was unable to drive for a period of 9 months. Every six weeks (+/- a week) I started the car on the drive and ran it at a fast idle to charge the battery for 15 to 20 minutes.

Never had any trouble starting. The battery was several years old. The car did not move in that time but the tyres were kept at pressure and there was no evidence of flat spotting on them. The brakes were a bit squeaky when I first took it out but this wore off after a few miles

You never forget how to drive (a bit like riding a bike!) BUT you do forget how to observe, so after a lay off it is important to take extra note on your situation awareness.

Tim Chambers02/04/2020 00:04:27
26 forum posts
8 photos

Just keep one of these in the boot.

Tim A02/04/2020 00:20:04
229 forum posts
13 photos

Just topped up my car battery this morning using my 240v power supply and SkyRc charger set to Pb (lead acid). One advantage, won't mention the others if your a Leccy Flier.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!