All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

RCM&E's April 2020 issue is here!

RCM&E's April 2020 issue is here!

See what's inside...

Exaur03/04/2020 13:58:11
3 forum posts

I see there are a few postings on here about gas engine noise, and an RCME article back in 2011. I am interested in a Saito 19cc FG19-R3 engine, possibly with a ring exhaust (I like the sound, which seems to be the only point of IC Vs electric). It would be great to have some advice about whether it would be feasible to get below the BMFA 82dbA limit with this engine. Happy to use big prop and limit RPM if it helps. Its a lot of cash to part with if this is going to be a challenge.

Many thanks for any info, regards Bob

Jon - Laser Engines03/04/2020 14:48:59
5422 forum posts
263 photos

The multi cylinder jobs are normally fairly quiet. I have a few OS multi's that run on straight pipes without making too much of a noise. At least, they are quiet enough in the air that no one has asked me to test it on the ground. The deciding factor seems to be the cylinder size. Once the pots are over about 15cc they get too loud and need a muffler,

The only thing to consider regarding the FG19 is that it is not very powerful. Most small radials, and in particular petrol radials, are down on power vs a single of the same capacity. This might be a 120 in terms of cc but its an 80 or at best a 90 in terms of performance while being probably more than twice the weight. My ASP 400 radial is easily beaten in terms of power by my Laser and OS 300 size twins.

Radials are lovely, but be careful with your model choice or you will end up over weight and under powered.

john stones 103/04/2020 14:51:47
11453 forum posts
1516 photos

Video for you, excuse the gents hat at the end. **LINK**

Exaur10/04/2020 12:24:19
3 forum posts

Thanks for your info on this and sorry about late reply. I gathered that it was not too powerful and a bit heavy and my model should have correspondingly large wing, short nose and long tail ! I had watched the video before but not really listened to what he was saying, and yes he says it is "quiet", might go for the glow version now I have discovered the price difference though !!

Thanks again.

PS Maybe someone associated with engines could stitch together lots of MP3 of different model engine/airframe noises, tickover, slow pass, full power - a bit like the old vinyl LPs of steam engine noises our Grandads used to buy, it must have been done somewhere.

cymaz10/04/2020 13:25:01
9196 forum posts
1186 photos

Plenty of engine runs on you tube. However, I really wouldn’t try and compare them on that site.

Usually the sound is poorly recorded on a phone or behind the prop. In that case all you can hear is prop wash.

IMHO all 2t petrol engines are loud. A good exhaust system that is quiet ( and not uncommonly the same price or more than the engine itself) will win you many friends at your local club if there is a noise issue.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!