Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

1/3 Kitfox upgrade

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Freeman 308/04/2020 13:09:16
353 forum posts
525 photos

4 years ago my son and I built a Kitfox as test to see how a newly released semi kit went together. It was quite a challenging build as it was expensive and the instructions and plans were not detailed so a lot of head scratching was needed. Not a good thing as I have very little hair!

The build progressed but the cowl was only received once the airframe was covered and the shape and fit was poor. This really spoilt the plane and resulting in us finishing the project so that we could go on to other projects. The aircraft flew very well but we always said we need to make a new cowl and spats for the airframe.

Along comes the lockdown and Byron collects the airframe and makes a start on a polystyrene plug for the cowl and spats. Once this was done he dropped the plugs off on a shopping trip for me to glass. I did this and returned them to Byron whilst going to work.

Byron then used large amounts of filler, sand paper, primer and paint to get the cowl and spats to a good finish. The polystyrene was then removed and the finished products have made a huge difference to the aircraft. Byron then resprayed the whole airframe and added the details that we did not do first time.

before:

kf3.jpg

kf5.jpgkf4.jpg

Chris Freeman 308/04/2020 13:12:16
353 forum posts
525 photos

This is the cowl and spat shapped in polystyrene and then glassed. Took quite a bit of epoxy and cloth to do as they are large and you only realise how big they are when you are working with them.

kf1.jpg kf2 .jpg

Chris Freeman 309/04/2020 08:58:01
353 forum posts
525 photos

I think that the aircraft looks a lot better now and we hope to fly it more than what we did as it deserves it.

kf26.jpgkf28.jpgkf27.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!