By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Starter Motor Refurbishment

can you replace brushes on a rc engine starter motor?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Den Moran09/04/2020 10:52:24
161 forum posts
18 photos

Hi,everyone,

Is it possible to refurbish/renew brushes et al in an rc starter motor? Or a youtube video of same ( I cannot find one!). That's the starter we plug into the flight box and turn the spinner with, not an onboard starter, cheers, happy flying, Keep safe,Den, Swansea

Nigel R09/04/2020 11:43:30
3881 forum posts
667 photos

In theory yes. You'd need to pull it all apart first and measure the brushes.

Unless some handy soul on here has already done what you are proposing and knows the correct size.

Den Moran10/04/2020 08:26:40
161 forum posts
18 photos

In theory -That's the problem! I know how to replace the brushes, it's easy, but I can't see how to open it up in the first place! Thanks for replying anyway, keep safe!

John Wagg10/04/2020 10:08:16
87 forum posts
15 photos

My Sullivan starter has 2 long bolts/nuts that go all the way through. I undid and removed these and then it just pulled apart. One of the magnets had come loose which I glued back in. Re-assembled and now works fine. I think I had to work out how to keep the brushes out of the way of the com' when putting it back together.

Dwain Dibley.10/04/2020 10:58:05
1497 forum posts
1487 photos

Mine, also a sullivan was easy, I had to replace leads, so checked brushes at the same time.

You need to tell us what make yours is Den.

But I suspect it will be similar to ours, two long bolts facilitating separation into two halves, case and internals.

D.D

MaxG10/04/2020 13:24:41
176 forum posts
5 photos

My very old Ripmax one is the same with 2 long bolts. Have had it to bits in the past to replace the power cable. Back together again without any particular difficulty, just a bit of fiddling. works ok.

Den Moran13/04/2020 08:08:07
161 forum posts
18 photos

Thanks for your help, everybody - I'll have another crack at it this week, and let you know how I get on. Keep safe, Den

Den Moran25/04/2020 11:39:35
161 forum posts
18 photos

Hi! I had a go at the starter motor, but both brass retainer 'ends' snapped off, making it impossible to get a spring-loaded commutator brush to stay in place. I haven't chucked it yet, but it's a very frustrating problem. A simple design feature of being able to remove the housing would have soved it. Anyway, thanks for all your help,Den.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!