Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

ED Super Fury Carburettor

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robert Welford11/04/2020 18:19:55
200 forum posts
4 photos

With no model flying available today I decided to run up a couple of diesel engines.

I recently acquired an unrun ED Super Fury non-RC. On attempting to run it I noticed that the plastic carburettor body had a crack where it joins the back plate. It was leaking air so getting the engine to run properly was not possible.

i wondered whether anyone knew the best way of mending it? What type of plastic are ED carbs made from and what is the most suitable adhesive to repair it?

All advice appreciated.

BTW Happy Easter!

Malcolm Fisher11/04/2020 19:12:49
644 forum posts
7 photos

I don't know what type of plastic is used for this but I would most likely use either a car body filler or Milliput. However, I have a plastic backplate for a Super Fury with a PAW carburettor in it and somewhere I must have the venture for the carb. I bought it many years ago but at the time it came without the throttle barrel or needle. If it would solve your problem you are welcome to it if you let me have your address I'll post it to you.

Malcolm

Piers Bowlan11/04/2020 19:23:14
2154 forum posts
53 photos

Some years ago the plastic backplate and RC carb on my ED Racer cracked after a crash. I removed it and cleaned off the oil with every solvent I could find (petrol, meths, cellulose thinners etc.). I then built up several layers of araldite around the split. I thought it would only last two minutes but remarkably it is still stuck together.

When you find out the 'proper' way of repairing it Robert, let me know!

Robert Welford11/04/2020 20:57:38
200 forum posts
4 photos

Malcolm and Piers thank you for your replies. Malcolm I have sent you a PM.

I don't know why ED decided to use plastic backplate and carburettor body.

I was given an ED 3.46 Hunter as a teenager by the local postman. The Hunter was in good condition, but lacked a carburettor. I bought one from ED that was plastic with plastic backplate. I succeeded in breaking at least two due to vibration. Fortunately, ED replaced both under guarantee.

I used the Hunter in my first single channel R/C model

Edited By Robert Welford on 11/04/2020 20:58:20

brokenenglish11/04/2020 21:27:33
572 forum posts
30 photos

Being a long-time ED fan and collector, I'd like to point out that all these "iffy" plastic bits are nothing to do with the original ED company!
The company changed hands, for the first time, in the mid-sixties, and after that, the quality was never up to the superb level of the late forties and the fifties.

John Stainforth12/04/2020 11:06:54
362 forum posts
64 photos

My brother and I had an ED Super Fury in the early sixties and I am sure it had no plastic parts. It was our favorite model diesel engine, with a fantastic performance.

Robert Welford12/04/2020 11:14:09
200 forum posts
4 photos

ED plastic parts were certainly around in 1973/4. A friend bought an ED Super Fury marine version and it had plastic carb and backplate fitted.

Engine Doctor12/04/2020 11:46:39
2512 forum posts
39 photos

Contact Weston Uk . Alan might have a replacement backplate as he owns the ED Name /Rights and has some parts .Not sure about the Fury ,but its worth a try. If that fails it might be worth looking for a Alloy back.plate on the BMFA or RCM&E classifieds

Piers Bowlan12/04/2020 11:55:32
2154 forum posts
53 photos

That is interesting to hear brokenenglish, I thought using plastic parts was a funny idea! Mine was a marine version which I later converted to aero. I also have a much older ED Racer with a metal carb but not RC.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 12/04/2020 11:57:24

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!