1S Wattmeter

Homebuild electronics project

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Bott - Moderator09/06/2020 13:15:53
6839 forum posts
1429 photos
1 articles

Excellent, it's really nice to see the fruits of a design when it's put together by someone else. Thanks Phil.

Dennis Mulhair09/07/2020 20:36:15
91 forum posts
22 photos

Hi Chris, could you explain an anomaly I have come across. I am running the units on V4 software and have noticed the “Min Volts” is recording what appears to be the maximum voltage of the cell. I was expecting the cell voltage to drop in use and with a volt meter across it it does, but the Wattmeter is still recording the higher voltage that was there at switch on. The “volts” value faithfully follows the state of the voltage on the cell.

I replaced the 1 cell with a power supply and the unit was the same. When I lowered the voltage on the supply the wattmeter only recorded the higher initial voltage in “Min Volts”, but if I increase the voltage (something that would not happen in the real world) the “Min Volts” alters to reflect this increase.

Are we recording the Max voltage of the cell, and so should the labelling change to “Max Volts”?

Regards

Dennis

Chris Bott - Moderator09/07/2020 20:52:20
6839 forum posts
1429 photos
1 articles

Hi Dennis, I have to leave the house in 5 mins do this is off the top of my head.

I (think I) have it saving all 3 readings when power is at a max.

I did try recording all 3 independently, when they hit max or min. But often found apoarent anomalies between the saved max watts and the multiplied max amps and min volts.

Would this explain what you're seeing?

For the intended application, I think saving all 3 with a single trigger makes sense? What do you think?

Dennis Mulhair09/07/2020 21:12:53
91 forum posts
22 photos

Hi Chris, so if the value is that at "Max Power" maybe the Min Volts & Max amps be relabelled to MPvolts & MPamps? At the moment its a bit confusing.

Dennis

Dennis Mulhair09/07/2020 21:27:19
91 forum posts
22 photos

Then again I suppose if I was measuring in the real world using say a 1 cell LIPO and an actual motor and esc the readings would make more sense. I will try this tomorrow.

Dennis

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!