Forum sponsored by CML

What are my options?

Chinese goods

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Doc Marten22/04/2020 12:38:24
871 forum posts
27 photos

Has anybody thought about what they buy from the PRC and if they will be changing their buying habits?

I know we cannot omit it completely but would you accept that until realistic options become available, we'll have to swallow the additional cost? I'm happy to buy used goods from PRC as they are already in the system and new goods from Taiwan (RoC) but it's not sitting well for me to continue reinforcing our reliance on them in the future.

Does anybody else feel the same and what alternatives to their modelling will they be making?

Keep it modeling please guys, it's a borderline political subject but I'm interested in the general feeling of other forum members rather than the politics.

Edited By Doc Marten on 22/04/2020 12:47:15

Brian Cooper22/04/2020 12:47:08
604 forum posts
27 photos

You've lost me from the start. What is "PRC" and "RoC" ?

Doc Marten22/04/2020 12:50:35
871 forum posts
27 photos

There are Two Chinas, PRC (Peoples Republic) which is mainland China and the RoP (Republic of) which includes Taiwan.

cymaz22/04/2020 12:51:29
9384 forum posts
1216 photos

I think it’s

Peoples Republic of China

Republic of China

China is claiming that Taiwan is their island. The Taiwanese say they’re independent

Ron Gray22/04/2020 12:57:40
2370 forum posts
965 photos

If I want something and can only get it from China the so be it, in fact only the other day I wanted a replacement VTX and just couldn't get one in the UK or EU so ordered direct and it was sent off the same day and is now on its way to me.

Nigel R22/04/2020 13:00:50
4173 forum posts
698 photos

peoples republic of china

republic of china

taiwan is somewhat disputed, china still claims them as territory, rest of world treats them as independent, leading to things like the the olympics where the chinese will only turn up if taiwan calls itself 'chinese taipei'

Stop buying things from China? Good luck. UK has spent around 120 years slowly hollowing out both heavy and light industries and shifting to buying from abroad, and adjusting the economy such that lots of people can only afford stuff if it is produced at prices only the various asian manufacturing economies can manage. Modelling is no different, I would suggest, "realistic alternatives" will likely cost 2x, 3x, 4x if produced in Europe.

Why just China and Taiwan? Also, is Taiwan as cheap any more? I thought they'd effectively become a first world nation and goods made there were not cheap as they were in the 80s and early 90s. I'm quite willing to be proven wrong on that point - my geopolitical knowledge is sketchy.

Doc Marten22/04/2020 13:04:25
871 forum posts
27 photos

I accept that Ron and included that in the OP, I want a Q7S so l have no alternative, I'm not happy about it but that's the situation at present, the thing I'm interested in is how do you feel about it?

john stones 122/04/2020 13:16:39
11695 forum posts
1517 photos

Well is it politics ?

We all played a part in destroying our own, whether that be modelling or any other business, and it started long before China emerged.

Where do we start Doc, the tinternet played a massive part, and here we are.

Doc Marten22/04/2020 13:19:05
871 forum posts
27 photos

Nigel,

How do things change if we don't change habits? 10 years ago if I said I was buying an electric car I'd have been laughed at.

I don't buy from Taiwan based purely on price, I buy because I like it and it's readily available, I've a few 4 strokes from there that I really like and are very good quality, just as I have fishing reels from there and Malaysia.

A quick story, when Sturmey Archer gears were bought by a Taiwanese company they binned the lot of it because it didn't meet their standards, the tolerances were way out so they retooled and produced hubs far in excess of the standard made by Raleigh.

Doc Marten22/04/2020 13:22:35
871 forum posts
27 photos

Precisely John, we are the reason it happened so need to take responsibility and be the force to change it, I'm interested if anyone else feels the same and if/how they will change habits.

Ron Gray22/04/2020 13:24:04
2370 forum posts
965 photos

My feelings about buying from overseas hasn't changed so I feel fine about it.

Doc Marten22/04/2020 13:25:47
871 forum posts
27 photos

I'm asking about China in particular Ron.

Barrie Lever22/04/2020 13:29:21
355 forum posts
53 photos

Doc

I understand what you are saying and it is certainly possible to seriously cut back on your consumption of product from the PRC, but there is a price to pay. However it is not possible to completely eliminate PRC sourced product but I don't think that is your aim.

Personally I would never buy a Chinese brand RC system and not even a Tx made in China, I have used Multiplex for number of years, the Tx is made in Malaysia and the Rx's are made in Germany, servo's come from HiTec in Korea.

The lower you go down the Chinese food chain the more you will battle with quality, I have Sony phones made in China that are perfect same as the Acer laptop that I use, Dremel 3D printer is pretty good, but laser cutter wholly made and sold from China is a box of spanners, same with chainsaws and garden equipment.

Bought a Sthil strimmer last year because some mug stole the Chinese ones, whole different World even the Mrs can start it and it is actually made in the USA, IC engines, well little choice now so you will have to go with OS for mainstream engines, but that is no bad thing, they are really nicely made and make you proud to own.

I have heaps of tools and machinery and very little of it is made in China, bought an internal micrometer the other week that purported to be Italian, quality was very poor, turned out to be made by SC tools in China, the seller kindly took it back when the quality issues were pointed out.

You are not so worried about quality rather reliance on the PRC, take me back to the 1970's a much better place IMO.

B.

Edited By Barrie Lever on 22/04/2020 13:30:57

Patrick Marsden22/04/2020 13:29:33
9 forum posts

Whilst it doesnt sit well with me I see no alternative. When I left school in the early 1980's I worked for a company in the UK modelling trade and it was doing well. Enter the Asian products, all mass produced and much cheaper and the UK modelling industry died off. Even local model shops have died off, part due no doubt to the internet and availability of goods dispatched from China that arrive much quicker than stuff ordered from elsewhere. I would love to stop our reliance on Chinese products but cannot see us ever being able to compete

Doc Marten22/04/2020 13:37:08
871 forum posts
27 photos

Barrie,

I don't aim to completely eliminate PRC produced goods completely, as you've pointed out that would be impossible and to be fair it would be stupid to eliminate all options if the best one is PRC manufactured, I'm just interested if people are rethinking their consumer power and changing habits.

Doc Marten22/04/2020 13:39:22
871 forum posts
27 photos

Patrick,

There is no alternative at the moment and if we continue to say that it will not change.

Are you having a rethink in the wake of the present situation?

Barrie Lever22/04/2020 13:53:22
355 forum posts
53 photos
Posted by Doc Marten on 22/04/2020 13:37:08:

Barrie,

I don't aim to completely eliminate PRC produced goods completely, as you've pointed out that would be impossible and to be fair it would be stupid to eliminate all options if the best one is PRC manufactured, I'm just interested if people are rethinking their consumer power and changing habits.

Doc

To answer your question, yes I am taking this opportunity to lower my PRC consumption further than an already low level.

To be true full, it would not matter to me if there was never anything else to come out of China, we would get by just fine.

B.

Doc Marten22/04/2020 14:04:20
871 forum posts
27 photos

You're the first to lay your cards on the table Barry, thanks.

Cuban822/04/2020 14:07:53
3057 forum posts
1 photos

Why is manufacturing in China So Cheap? Is it simply low wages? Given that much modern production is automated, with minimal human input, I suspect that there's more to it.

Doc Marten22/04/2020 14:15:57
871 forum posts
27 photos

Me too Cuban.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!