Forum sponsored by CML

Laser cutting

Laser cutting

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Doc Marten31/05/2020 00:00:48
585 forum posts
8 photos

No good to me Geoff, I'm one of the 3d printerless.

Wayne Gouveia01/06/2020 21:15:36
17 forum posts
22 photos

Hi Barrie

Your lessons have paid off big time😁😁😁😁test two 3.5 mm balsawood cut on my K40. Power 60 speed 70mm/s one pass cut straight through. Note the magnetic locking system works a treat. See youtube link for video, happy days and really no doubt that i have the laser cutter i need to do the job, keep an eye out for the next test🤣🤣🤣🤣

https://youtu.be/nFrGQcSBgsI

Barrie Lever01/06/2020 22:15:51
243 forum posts
50 photos

Wayne

Not only is that fast cutting it is also very good quality, you have a nice finish on the wood not over burnt in any way.

Well done.

Regards

Barrie

https://youtu.be/nFrGQcSBgsI

Edited By Barrie Lever on 01/06/2020 22:16:26

Wayne Gouveia01/06/2020 22:25:18
17 forum posts
22 photos

I am so thrilled with the results, it helps when you pay attention to people in the know. When is the course i want to know more🤣🤣🤣🤣 the lack is probably down to the air assist pump you recommend, sorry for been a copy cat 👍👍👍👍

Barrie Lever01/06/2020 23:39:21
243 forum posts
50 photos

Wayne

Just before the 'Wu Flu' crisis I was in some reasonably advanced discussions with Manny Williamson to do some courses at Buckminster National aeromodelling centre. There are some suitable classrooms there.

During the lock down I have thought a lot about the course project, I am thinking of 1 day on laser cutting and 1 day on 3D printing, probably over the same weekend and then people could have the choice of attending either or both courses.

There would be machines on hand for both days, I done something very simple on 3D printing there already so know the layout etc.

However at the moment the 'Wu Flu' has put the brakes on everything, my guess is that maybe something can happen later in the year pending lifting of restrictions.

How does this sound to you?

Regards

Barrie

Broken Prop02/06/2020 06:57:26
624 forum posts
1 photos

I would be very interested in attending such a course Barrie, if you can get one going. I will keep an eye on the BMFA mag for an advert later in the year.

Pete

FlyinFlynn02/06/2020 12:12:57
150 forum posts
95 photos

As far as cnc router kits for the 3D Printerless goes there are many offerings from the usual Chinese suppliers....but beware of going for the cheaper ones. When you start introducing a load on the gantry, like when you are routing as opposed to just lugging a laser head around, you will need bigger, more powerful stepper motors, only the biggest of the NEMA17's are powerful enough to be *sure* you are not going to lose steps, you really need to be looking at NEMA24's, which means bigger discrete stepper motor drivers too. All that starts to add up! If you are going to be happy with very low feed rates in very soft materials then Geoff's solution will work, I also have the same setup. Also beware of the small 'PCB routers' with a mabuchi 550 motor and a tiny working bed size, they are really only good for PCB making.

Much like buying a K40 over a eleksmaker LED 3.5W laser, you have to spend the cash to get something with sufficient capabilities to satisfy your needs - both now and in the future.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!