By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

The Lockdown Restrictions Have Been Relaxed. Who's Been Flying?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
john stones 126/05/2020 19:48:18
11546 forum posts
1517 photos

No wildlife report Erf ?

You're slacking, your posts are getting shorter by the session. dogcatquestion

Erfolg26/05/2020 20:09:13
11752 forum posts
1337 photos

John

I did see two hares in the distance, plus a couple of rabbits along the track.

Being completely open, I realty find this aspect very much part of the aeromodelling experience.smiley

Just like building models.

John Wagg26/05/2020 20:21:15
95 forum posts
16 photos

First flights of the year.

**LINK**

Dave with the eagle and me with my own design 27 year old trainer.

john stones 126/05/2020 20:25:36
11546 forum posts
1517 photos
Posted by Erfolg on 26/05/2020 20:09:13:

John

I did see two hares in the distance, plus a couple of rabbits along the track.

Being completely open, I realty find this aspect very much part of the aeromodelling experience.smiley

Just like building models.

yes

Nigel R27/05/2020 08:27:18
3938 forum posts
687 photos

Got to the field yesterday evening to find bowling green runway (well done to the committee) and perfect weather.

Also discovered:

- all the heatshrink slackened and wrinkled in the car

- I've forgotten how to properly check the main needle on a glow (whoops)

- one engine out on a twin take off is exciting

- one engine out on a twin take off is really really exciting when the trims are all miles out of whack and you don't know why

- plain nylon motor mounts are naff and bend of their own accord, leading to the spinner being about 3/16" out of position, also throwing the idle out on the affected motor and not helping the trim problem

- a strip aileron had warped (heat?) so badly I didn't want to fly it again without fixing it

the two airframes I took were checked over the night before they went in the car - I think they had been baked by the sun for an hour or so causing the covering and warping sad

despite all that, it was great to get back out, some good flights were had (with the one without the bent aileron) yes

I am now clamping the aforementioned bent aileron back to straight and will try heating it to aid the straightening process...

Edited By Nigel R on 27/05/2020 08:31:14

Erfolg27/05/2020 16:43:57
11752 forum posts
1337 photos

Yet again in continuing my mission to develop my rusty skills and to seek out new experiences I boldly went, yet again to the flying field.smiley

Much to my surprise, the locked gate to the track was open, open wide. Hopefully it is the farmer I thought, half a mile further along the track, oh yes, I thought, a tractor and driver. Turning into the car park (yes a neat trick, if you can do it) my elation turned to horror, as I found that i was not the only one there, there were two other cars. then I spotted a third.

My frustration was further raised, as i routed through the boot, looking for a cap, to reveal a packet of large elastic bands. Why that particular reaction, well in preparation for the resumption of flying I found that all the elastic bands on my less temperamental models, that coincidentally have the wings retained by these items were perished, all my spares were perhaps, well you get the drift. So I have ordered a total 80 of them from Amazon, plus 10 i bought for next day delivery. What a cretin, I thought, remembering that this packet had been bought at our November fly in.

Now onto more palatable events, today i replaced the Delta, now in for repair, with my reduced scale Nobler.

As a re scoped model, not my best effort, as it is extremely cramped for everything. As for flying, not great in the roll plane, probably due to the taper of the ailerons, a tad small, tends to wander, probably the fin and rudder need enlarging. With respect to the rudder, less than effective, in yawing the model. Non the less with a higher pitched prop, now quite fast, keeps we away from the stall. I am not quite sure why, it needs a lot of up elevator in the turns. Which leads to a requirement to always watch the model, with continuous inputs. Being small soon disappears from my sight. In short a great model.sad

By the time I left there were ten at the field, I would have been the eleventh, just to many in my opinion, so i went.

Ah the field I think i here you think. Given the lack of maintenance not bad at all. That is excepting most of my models have small wheels, and it is just not up to bowling green standards. not yet.

ken anderson.28/05/2020 08:58:21
8688 forum posts
808 photos

maiden flight of oowah at 07.30 this morning -perfect conditions only me a few dog walkers passing and early morning joggers. Model flew ok,needs the C/G altered and the throws reduced…job's a goodin.

ken anderson...ne..1..maiden dept.

Kevin Fairgrieve28/05/2020 09:10:58
1670 forum posts
2979 photos
Posted by ken anderson. on 28/05/2020 08:58:21:

maiden flight of oowah at 07.30 this morning -perfect conditions only me a few dog walkers passing and early morning joggers. Model flew ok,needs the C/G altered and the throws reduced…job's a goodin.

ken anderson...ne..1..maiden dept.

Nice models are they not Ken?

I maiden`d mine last Satuday and have flown it every day since.
Work has started on my toowah!
dscf0069.jpg

ken anderson.28/05/2020 09:49:44
8688 forum posts
808 photos

hello kevin,hope your well and not suffering too much from lockdown-itis ...agree its a canny little model ..

owah 5.jpg

ken anderson....ne....1..oowah dept.

Erfolg28/05/2020 18:03:51
11752 forum posts
1337 photos

Still only tree models flown today. Unfortunately a cross wind at 90 degrees to contend with, made into a problem due to the trees causing a lot of turbulence, even with no real wind.surprise

Billy no mates, again, just as I like it at present.

Steve Colman28/05/2020 18:58:07
784 forum posts
457 photos

Been at the club with my friend Dan every day of this week. Took a few snaps of him with his Nan Explorer 2 F5J glider in all it's carbon loveliness.

And, sometime in the near future it may be mine smiley 

Daniel with Nan Explorer 2

Exp 2 Flaps down for landing

Exp 2 Landing approach

Edited By Steve Colman on 28/05/2020 19:21:03

Edited By Steve Colman on 28/05/2020 19:21:28

ken anderson.28/05/2020 19:15:16
8688 forum posts
808 photos

two visits to our site today and 6 lipos used.......they think its their birthday...windy all afternoon.....but part of the penalty for been on the coast....

ken anderson...ne..1..coast dept.

PeterF28/05/2020 21:41:30
536 forum posts
732 photos

Lovely afternoon, we can see the sea but are far enough inland to miss the coast breeze so very little wind - Tiger Moth weather, fantastic afternoon, only 2 of us at the field so 6 flights of 12 minutes each and no one to moan that I am hogging the sky. Plane is now 2 years old and I really enjoy flying it on days like today, sun, clear blue sky, birds singing, hardly any background traffic noise.

flying 10.jpg

Geoff S29/05/2020 21:55:23
3669 forum posts
26 photos

I had a few flights with my DB Gypsy (Cirrus) Moth yesterday as well as my lockdown special Liddle Stik which, with down thrust removed flew very much better and after a couple of clicks of right aileron flew happily hands-off. Very pleased with my quick build.

Very relaxed day with only 2 of us there.

It was only when I got home that I realised I'd been flying illegally! I'd put my new number on my Stik but never thought about either the Gypsy Moth or the Wot4 I also flew. Good job the plod didn't come to check

Geoff

john stones 129/05/2020 22:32:08
11546 forum posts
1517 photos
Posted by Geoff S on 29/05/2020 21:55:23:

I had a few flights with my DB Gypsy (Cirrus) Moth yesterday as well as my lockdown special Liddle Stik which, with down thrust removed flew very much better and after a couple of clicks of right aileron flew happily hands-off. Very pleased with my quick build.

Very relaxed day with only 2 of us there.

It was only when I got home that I realised I'd been flying illegally! I'd put my new number on my Stik but never thought about either the Gypsy Moth or the Wot4 I also flew. Good job the plod didn't come to check

Geoff

You sign the confession after you get nicked Geoff. wink

David Davis01/06/2020 08:15:29
3764 forum posts
719 photos

I flew my WOT 4 XL with the old twin cylinder Laser engine yesterday. It flew beautifully, even though there was quite a wind blowing. The loops appeared to be perfectly round. The engine emitted quite a bit of smoke, I am running 15% oil but the smoke described the manoeuvres perfectly. Still one or two adjustments to make to the engine's slow running but generally very pleased.

If the weather's fine I should maiden the Big Guff next weekend. Just need to make up the u/c, check the cg and test run the engine.

Stay safe and keep well gentlemen.

first run up in years (3).jpg

first run up in years (9).jpg

posing on the back lawn (2).jpg

Jonathan M01/06/2020 09:34:10
737 forum posts
290 photos

Flying the Ahi lots in this settled weather of easterlies on various slopes within a 40 minute driving radius... but this one yesterday was an hour's walk from home!

The bowl isn't very steep or clean - lots of rolling 'moguls' to give the breeze random twist as it winds up the valley - but excellent and relaxing fun.

ahi may 2020.jpg

Edited By Jonathan M on 01/06/2020 09:36:18

Richard Harris01/06/2020 09:59:40
2168 forum posts
2013 photos

Test flew my mates Gee Bee yesterday, wasn't expecting it to go as well as it did after what I had read. This one is the Seagull version fitted with 35cc petrol, one of my favourite aircraft.

There is some on board footage with telemetry, 80mph was roughly the fastest with just over 2G being pulled in some turns, video below, enjoy the ride.

fb_img_1591001118402.jpg

fb_img_1591001125809.jpg

fb_img_1591001132058.jpg

Adrian Smith 101/06/2020 11:11:11
2470 forum posts
1273 photos

Richard,

I take my hat off to you! I used to have a Gee Bee years ago and clearly I wasn't up to the challenge as after two flights I trashed it crying. Great video by the way yes

David Davis01/06/2020 11:38:11
3764 forum posts
719 photos

I'd like that sort of set up on my BE2 to see how slowly it flies! wink

be2e sunday 9th april 2017 no 1.php.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!