By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

For Better or for worse

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Freeman 313/05/2020 12:14:00
357 forum posts
546 photos

Whist returning from work one day last week and almost home I passed my mates house that is also a fellow modeller, I saw a wing for an aircraft on his pavement. As I turned the corner I then realised that the wing appeared to be that of my Chipmunk that I had been getting ready for my son to spray. How could my wing be on the pavement?

I then remembered that my wife who has not been out in a month and a half had decided to go to the shops and she had used my van and I had placed my wing on top of it to clear the workbench. Damage is not that bad considering the fall off a moving car onto a tar road but enough to make me think about what the minister had said to us when we got married! To add insult to injury the wing was under a tree that gave the birds that sat in it a purple colour too thier droppings which were used to great effect on my wing!

This is how it looked before its first flight!ch1.jpg

kc13/05/2020 12:24:59
6777 forum posts
174 photos

That's an amazing yarn!

The solution is to accept that it was YOUR fault and get your dinners cooked etc rather than say that the driver should check the vehicle before driving!

Chris Freeman 314/05/2020 07:13:00
357 forum posts
546 photos

I know it was my fault and also I know that my skills in the kitchen are bad so I did not add to spouse abuse statistics under lockdown. This is what the birds thought of my building:

ch5.jpg

Nigel R14/05/2020 07:39:59
4278 forum posts
711 photos

At least it wasn't an invisible lamppost inconveniently left directly behind the recently purchased and quite new and shiny family car that would also have been your fault that it was in the way.

Don't ask how I came up with that particular example.

john stones 114/05/2020 08:59:01
11764 forum posts
1521 photos

Wing don't look to be that badly made, critical flock of birds there, some more critical than others. laugh

PeterF14/05/2020 09:01:30
586 forum posts
740 photos

Or like one of my club mates who put his model out of the way on the car roof to make room in the garage, as he reversed out it fell off the back of the car directly into the path of one of the wheels.

Peter Miller14/05/2020 09:06:31
11593 forum posts
1393 photos
10 articles

I put a transmitter on the roof ofmy car. It didn't fall off forover 1/4mile while going round a corner in the town.

At least it was only a 2 channel Futaba Tx for my boat. and it still worked

Trevor14/05/2020 10:32:21
522 forum posts
61 photos

I’ve left a wing on my wife’s car too on a couple of occasions. Thankfully it’s always been spotted before driving off. Maybe you should have married someone a bit taller? devil

FlyinBrian14/05/2020 12:26:38
677 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by Peter Miller on 14/05/2020 09:06:31:

I put a transmitter on the roof ofmy car. It didn't fall off forover 1/4mile while going round a corner in the town.

A friend of mine did exactly the same but he was about two miles from home when another motorist said "there summat on yer roof mate"

Another who shall be nameless put the wing from his funfly under the car when it started raining, this was at the nats! he forgot and backed over it - he borrowed a wing from another flyer for the competition AND won!

Chris Freeman 314/05/2020 13:00:08
357 forum posts
546 photos

Nice to see that I am not the only one to have had some issues.

Trevor

It was a van so even I struggle to see the roof and I am 6'2", If I had to marry a taller wife then I would not be able to say anything as it may result if more than not just getting dinner.

Reminds me of two old gents who used to fly with us, the were great mates, Len was in his 70's and Stan was in his 80's. Stan was a real gent who was always smartly dressed, Len was a little rough around the edges. Stan once came into the clubhouse looking a little pale and the front of his trousers were all wet. When we asked him what happened he explained that he had gone behind a wall te relieve himself. He was busy with this and next thing Len had lost control of his plane and it crashed next to Stan who got such a fright he forgot to hold his winkie!!!!!. Stan sure gave Len a mouthfull that day.

kc14/05/2020 13:04:21
6777 forum posts
174 photos

The best bit about having a reversing camera on your car is that you can take a last look at your precious plane as you reverse over it!

Seriously Chris should be grateful that it didn't hit anyone & nobody tried to sue the car's owner for 'injury' in todays litigous times. Just a bit of mess on the wing is getting away lightly ...and hopefully by being a gentleman about it he still gets hot meals.

Frank Skilbeck14/05/2020 13:27:40
4868 forum posts
107 photos

As it's obviously flown off the roof, did it have it's CAA operator ID attached, tut tut wink

Martin Harris14/05/2020 13:37:19
9594 forum posts
258 photos

On a related note, I nearly lost my car a couple of years ago due to wondering if I'd loaded my spare transmitter for buddying a friend. I had set off to the field and after half a mile or so got that nagging feeling that I didn't recall putting it in the car. I'd just turned on to a hill so waited until I'd got to just before the top so that I wouldn't cause a blind spot hazard, pulled over and jumped out to have a quick check.

As I approached the back of the car, I became aware it was moving and quickly got behind it to stop it moving. It quickly became apparent that I wasn't going to be able to hold it and I realised that I had to get into the car to apply the brakes before any more speed built up. I pulled open the driver's door and attempted to jump in - but the door took my standing leg and I was deposited bottom first onto the road. A last gasp grab at the B pillar was successful and with a despairing scrabble and heave, I found myself in the driving seat and brought the incipient disaster to a halt.

After dealing with the realisation that I could have ended up with a broken leg and/or had the car career down the hill, maybe ending up causing a serious accident, I parked properly on the level, reapplied the parking brake and found that I had indeed left the buddy box in my front garden.

Coincidentally, a week or so ago, I went outside to run the air con for a few minutes to lubricate the seals and noticed the car moving on the very slight slope outside my house. As my wife had given the car a run earlier, I thought "silly woman's left the brake off" and applied it. As soon as I blipped the throttle to raise the RPM it moved again! My car has what I consider to be an unnecessarily complex "electronic parking brake" instead of a proper handbrake lever and a quick diagnosis revealed that if the engine was running (in neutral), the slightest nudge on the accelerator pedal caused it to release! This is not something detailed in the handbook and the car is supposed to sense the gear selection when it enters the "hill start assist" mode - whatever use that might be.

I'm now wondering if this was the reason my car rolled away on that hill - at the time I put it down to not having held the operating button for long enough but had I knocked the accelerator pedal slightly as I jumped out of the car, it would fit the circumstances.

Spookily, while I was typing this, I got an email from the manufacturer following up on the report I raised to VOSA querying the safety of this operating system. I'm sure someone on the forum will want to tell me that I should have stopped the engine, engaged a low gear and turned the wheels into the curb but we don't always follow best practice and I have learnt lessons from the experience.

Chris Freeman 326/10/2020 09:27:18
357 forum posts
546 photos

Well after all the issues with this aircraft I am glad to report that it is finally finished and flies very well. I have an OS 120 fs to power it and it sounds good and has a realistic flight performance. I am not sure of the weight as there is not much you can do about it once it is finished. Very gentle stall but was nose heavy when test flown and I did this without the cowl as it is a new motor.ch42.jpgch38.jpg ch34.jpg

Piers Bowlan26/10/2020 10:05:01
2226 forum posts
57 photos

Beautiful work Chris, I am glad your story has a happy ending.

Talking about things flying off the roof of ones car, I have a story about my first 'flying boat'. I used to store my ten foot sailing dingy suspended from the ceiling of my dad's garage. After a long tiring day out on the water the boat was transported home inverted on the car roof rack as usual. Once in the garage I removed the straps lashing it to the car but for some reason failed to hoist it up to the ceiling. Probably too knackered.

Next morning my Mum, in a rush, reversed out of the garage and tore off down the road with the boat atop, still resting on it's roof rack. At Vr the front of the boat lifted, took off, did a half roll, before gently alighting on the pavement! Miraculously the boat was undamaged apart from a couple of scuffs and I still have it to this day, more than fifty years later, doing excellent service as a tender to my slightly larger sailing boat. I should add that it was a quiet residential road and nobody was about mercyfully. The boat is a Polycell Pioneer made from polystyrene, long since discontinued. You could say it was my first Foamy!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 26/10/2020 10:12:29

Engine Doctor26/10/2020 10:58:32
2670 forum posts
44 photos
Posted by Peter Miller on 14/05/2020 09:06:31:

I did the same with a new to me FF7 many years ago.blush. It had little rubber feet that helped it grip the car roof so imagine how surprised/embarrassed I was when I got home. Wasn't so lucky with the house phone though put there while working on the car , never seen again !

Geoff S26/10/2020 12:55:24
3902 forum posts
57 photos
Posted by Piers Bowlan on 26/10/2020 10:05:01:

Beautiful work Chris, I am glad your story has a happy ending.

Talking about things flying off the roof of ones car, I have a story about my first 'flying boat'. I used to store my ten foot sailing dingy suspended from the ceiling of my dad's garage. After a long tiring day out on the water the boat was transported home inverted on the car roof rack as usual. Once in the garage I removed the straps lashing it to the car but for some reason failed to hoist it up to the ceiling. Probably too knackered.

Next morning my Mum, in a rush, reversed out of the garage and tore off down the road with the boat atop, still resting on it's roof rack. At Vr the front of the boat lifted, took off, did a half roll, before gently alighting on the pavement! Miraculously the boat was undamaged apart from a couple of scuffs and I still have it to this day, more than fifty years later, doing excellent service as a tender to my slightly larger sailing boat. I should add that it was a quiet residential road and nobody was about mercyfully. The boat is a Polycell Pioneer made from polystyrene, long since discontinued. You could say it was my first Foamy!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 26/10/2020 10:12:29

I've never heard of the Polycell Pioneer but I sailed a borrowed Topper a few times which is an 11' polypropylene dinghy and was, I believe originally produced as a experiment in large plastic moulding. Sailing was my passion before the accident which redirected my hobby interest to toy aeroplanes I still miss it though.

Fortunately the only thing I've lost from the roof of a car is a Tupperware lunch box (and my lunch, which I regretted more). Our club chairman lost his wallet a couple of years ago but it was found in a layby by a lorry driver who returned it - he was lucky.

Geoff

Bruce Collinson26/10/2020 13:15:41
576 forum posts

Lost a mobile handset, c. 1986 and a Motorola i think, just at the stage when they were shrinking below housebrick size and a LOT of money. Fortunately the firm's insurers paid out so I got a crafty upgrade.

BTC

Matt Carlton26/10/2020 14:25:04
131 forum posts
12 photos

I once forgot that I'd shoved a model UNDER my car to stop it blowing away. I can still hear the crunch now.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Subscribe now
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!