P51D and P51B Proposed new versions

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nigel Dell15/09/2020 12:03:10
469 forum posts
46 photos

Jonathan

where about are you?

I am in Bagshot so was thinking if your LHS is who I think it is we are fairly local if you need any help.

cheers

Nige.

Jonathan S15/09/2020 21:54:07
61 forum posts

Nigel,

Thanks for the offer, my local club is Maidenhead rc.

Nigel Dell16/09/2020 10:00:32
469 forum posts
46 photos

I am only 13 miles from Maidenhead so if you need help it is close enough for me to pop over or I can give you my number if you prefer as we don’t know what is coming again regarding COVID. I have been doing this for more years than I care to remember and no question is daft only the one that is not asked! You will enjoy the builds I am sure.

Paul Johnson 419/09/2020 14:44:46
826 forum posts
573 photos
Posted by Graham Davies 3 on 15/09/2020 11:32:55:

I have not built a 'full fat' warbird, but built a 55" Tempest. from start to maiden took me 4 weeks, and I don't feel that I hurried.

Grahamtempest 210720-1.jpg

4 Weeks!!! Okay where the inflation valve and foot pump??

RICHARD WILLS19/09/2020 14:48:54
583 forum posts
86 photos

Why did you take your wife's hand bag to the field Graham ?

Holding it hostage ?

Paul Johnson 419/09/2020 15:06:09
826 forum posts
573 photos

Well

That was good.... just spent 30 mins typing up and adding pictures... moved the mouse and it lost the lotangry

Ron Gray19/09/2020 15:09:45
2369 forum posts
965 photos

Moral of the story, create your post in another app then copy and paste into here!

Paul Johnson 419/09/2020 15:12:06
826 forum posts
573 photos

Lesson learnt .... split the postcryingcrying

Well rear decking done.

rear decking skinned.jpg

This had it's issues but these have been amended for the production kits.

Time to consider the mounting of the servos and pilot.

The original seat shown previously was a full seat this has been changed to a half height as it went all the way to the wing surface leaving little room for the control snakes and flap servo mounting.

adjusted pilot seat.jpg

It is also a lot lighter.

Paul Johnson 419/09/2020 15:13:45
826 forum posts
573 photos

Also couldn't decide on what wheels to choose....

So many to choose from......

choosing the wheels.jpg

Paul Johnson 419/09/2020 15:16:35
826 forum posts
573 photos

Pilot mounting checked for height and glued in place..pilot floor.jpg

More later but pooch is by the door with her legs crossed.... TTFN

Ron Gray19/09/2020 15:21:16
2369 forum posts
965 photos

Wheels are the wrong colour and let the dog in.

Paul Johnson 420/09/2020 16:54:56
826 forum posts
573 photos

Hi Gents

Just thought, if you go looking for the pilot floor in the box, it isn't there its a piece of scrap 3mm liteply out of my scrap box.

Okay servos and snakes...

there is plenty of scrap left from the laser cutting in the box. I suggest this piece as it is a harder ply and makes for a better material to put screws in. I find it's all to easy to over do it and strip the screw out by overtightening it.

waste not.jpg

Obviously you will need to adjust this to your servos you have chosen and where you wish to fit them, I have always tried to keep as much forward of the C of G as possible.

I made a small frame and added a small brace in between.

servos mounted.jpg

Paul Johnson 420/09/2020 17:05:53
826 forum posts
573 photos

For those who decide on the B variant I decided to make sure the canopy was flush with the razor back so I cut the surround off of the rear cockpit former, this was fiddley as it's very thin, and glued this to create a shelf for the canopy rather than glue this on top of the razorback.

canopy rear edging.jpg

You will also notice I didn't put the cockpit side infill out far enough so had to pack it .

As has been previously mentioned...... it's only wood and you can modify the little errors easily.

Graham Davies 320/09/2020 20:50:45
129 forum posts
49 photos
Posted by Paul Johnson 4 on 19/09/2020 14:44:46:
Posted by Graham Davies 3 on 15/09/2020 11:32:55:

I have not built a 'full fat' warbird, but built a 55" Tempest. from start to maiden took me 4 weeks, and I don't feel that I hurried.

Grahamtempest 210720-1.jpg

4 Weeks!!! Okay where the inflation valve and foot pump??

I don't know what happened Paul. All of a sudden, it was finished! I've spent the time since carefully re-kitting it though...

Graham Davies 320/09/2020 20:52:04
129 forum posts
49 photos
Posted by RICHARD WILLS on 19/09/2020 14:48:54:

Why did you take your wife's hand bag to the field Graham ?

Holding it hostage ?

It suited the frock I was wearing better than my own handbag, as it happened.

One must make sure one looks lovely on the flight line...

RICHARD WILLS20/09/2020 22:17:37
583 forum posts
86 photos

Good point . wink 2

David Hazell 121/09/2020 09:36:17
66 forum posts
Posted by Paul Johnson 4 on 20/09/2020 16:54:56:

Obviously you will need to adjust this to your servos you have chosen and where you wish to fit them, I have always tried to keep as much forward of the C of G as possible.

I made a small frame and added a small brace in between.

servos mounted.jpg

Those servo's look the business! Which ones are those?

Edited By David Hazell 1 on 21/09/2020 09:37:07

David Hazell 121/09/2020 09:38:21
66 forum posts

And Richard: Have you got all the balsa needed for all the P51 kits already in stock? Looks like the supply issue could cause you some issues if not.

RICHARD WILLS21/09/2020 12:35:27
583 forum posts
86 photos

Yes David , we have been planning the P51 for a while , but 45 Mustangs use up a huge mountain of 1/16th balsa sheet , and we like top quality stuff.

This is just another Chinese issue about to erupt . For those that dont know , they have decided to buy up all of the balsa to make wind turbine blades . So if you were a balsa grower and sick of the nit picking model aircraft gang buying a handful of tons , then somebody said "we will buy 100 times that ,dont care about quality " You can see where that is going .

Another good example of Eastern influence has been the FMS spinners that we based this kit around . Keeping in mind they have been making this model for ten years and have made eight different versions and 20 colour schemes , How is it that they cannot provide us with a single spinner ?

Consequently , we have had to make a dolly , find a very rare metal spinning company that will do small batches , then shell out for all of this lot to get back to where we started . ie our chaps being able to make a complete model. The FMS modellers will have to whistle for theirs !

My guess is that balsa will still be available but will perhaps double in price . We can get round it a little bit as we use poplar and birch internally , and with laser cutting , we can reduce the weight with lots of holes .

We are also lucky in that we have used other materials before and have a vast experience to draw from .

Whatever way you look at it , dealing with China has definitely been a mixed blessing .

I think the Balsa growers will find it too tempting not to keep a couple of tons of top notch wood back , knowing that they have a customer who will pay premium for that little bit of cream off the top .

Paul Johnson 421/09/2020 13:14:28
826 forum posts
573 photos

Hi David

They are from the orient Votik 9497 MG-D out of 6 ordered had one with a bad feedback potentiometer , no chance of replacing it as the return postage alone would be more than the unit itself.

You takes your chances but they are cheaper than most places and are high torque for their size.

Speed/Torque@ 6,0V : 6,8kg/cm - 0,09s/60

I would take the stated figures with a pinch of salt but they certainly are reasonable for their cost and size.

The only issue I have with them is the feedback pot is not generic so cannot find an alternative to repair it.

The faulty one has a lump missing out of the carbon track so when it 'finds' that spot the servo hunts badly.

The others are okay.

The one thing I would mention for the new... is, make sure that whatever servos you choose the ESC has enough current output from the built in BEC to sustain the servo/retract demand otherwise you could cause a 'brownout' of the receiver just when you most need it.... like landingcrying

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!