By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Ben Buckle kits.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
bees13/05/2020 20:49:54
122 forum posts

Hi, iam thinking off purchasing the Playboy senior but have been looking through some rather old threads regarding poor quality and fitment of various parts.Was wondering if they have addressed this problem in the more recent kits.Thank you for any advice.

brokenenglish13/05/2020 21:07:23
552 forum posts
29 photos

I bought a BB Double Diamond kit about a year ago. I haven't finished it yet, but the build is going well, no problems, and the wood quality is superb.

Pete Collins13/05/2020 21:12:55
131 forum posts
6 photos

Hi, If you are referring to the Ben Buckle kit, I bought one a few years ago and I don't remember any issues with the quality. Being a vintage model there aren't too many shaped components (Wing ribs, a couple of fus formers, wing and tail tips and that's about all!) the rest is mostly stripwood. I didn't feel obliged to replace anything and I'm usually pretty fussy. It is an old-fashioned build, so there is plenty of work to do - don't expect lots of prefabrication. Otherwise I remember it going together pretty well. I powered mine with a .53 four stroke and it's a bit overpowered. On full throttle it climbs vertically and will keep going OOS if you don't chicken out. You need good strong wing bands if you mean to play those games. It has a very good glide and most of the time just putters around on minimum throttle. I can't remember the weight of mine but its pretty light - just finished in coloured Solartex with a little paint around the nose etc. All in all, a nice build - I'd recommend it.

bees13/05/2020 21:19:29
122 forum posts

Thanks guys that was what i was hoping for. I fly all electric these days so iam going to convert it to electric. Pete, obviously i want to turn off the motor and extend the flight time even more, did read some where that it would thermal in the right conditions would you say that is correct. Thank you.

Edited By bees on 13/05/2020 21:20:26

Philip Barrett 213/05/2020 22:37:41
17 forum posts
5 photos

I built the Playboy Senior a couple of years ago. I changed the wing to allow flat inner sections which then allowed the wing to be split in two halves, using brass tubes araldited in the first couple of bays and carbon fibre rods to make the join. I modified the wing fixing to allow wing bolts rather than rubber bands.

Mine was also electric. I lengthened the nose and used an EFlite 25 motor with a 2700 mah battery on 3 cells. I still needed a fair amount of lead to get the correct centre of gravity, so in retrospect I could have increased the nose length even more.

I can confirm the Ben Buckle kit was excellent,with good quality materials and clear plans. The finished model flew really well, with a great presence given its size. I used Solartex (alas no more!) for a vintage look.

In summary, an excellent kit leading to a great build with an impressive end product.

bees13/05/2020 22:42:27
122 forum posts

Once again thank you, Just ordered one from Steve webb models, looking forward to starting the build.

bees22/05/2020 22:09:49
122 forum posts

Hi, I have now received my Playboy and well into the build with no issues at all. On the plan it says to give 1/2inch of washout at the wingtip but does this mean raising the wingtip 1/2inch up at the wingtip at the trailing edge while keeping the leading edge flat while joining to the inner panel using the dihedral braces. Thank you for any help given.

Philip Barrett 222/05/2020 22:51:59
17 forum posts
5 photos

Build the inner panel flat to the board, and as you suggest pack the trailing edge of the outer panel by the half inch at the tip. The best way to do this is to cut a wedge from balsa strip the length of the outer panel trailing edge, half an inch thick at the tip tapering to zero at the root of the outer panel. Pin this under the outer panel trailing edge as you assemble the outer panel, with its leading edge pinned flat to the board.

Hope this helps !

Mike T23/05/2020 16:54:56
489 forum posts
37 photos

None of the (5) Playboy senior plans on Outerzone mention the need for washout.

Does the BB plan indicate exactly where this 1/2" should be measured from? The outer panel trailing edge, from the polyhedral break to the tip is almost entirely curved, so at what point would you pack up your 1/2" !?

It would make more sense to pack the inner panel TE - except that no other plan asks for washout anywhere...

Richard Clark 223/05/2020 18:27:38
112 forum posts
Posted by Mike T on 23/05/2020 16:54:56:

None of the (5) Playboy senior plans on Outerzone mention the need for washout.

Does the BB plan indicate exactly where this 1/2" should be measured from? The outer panel trailing edge, from the polyhedral break to the tip is almost entirely curved, so at what point would you pack up your 1/2" !?

It would make more sense to pack the inner panel TE - except that no other plan asks for washout anywhere...

It seems rathar a lot wherever you measure it.. I would have thought it unnecessary. (The problem with washout is that the wing as a whole can never operate at its optimum AoA as it hasn't got one.)

bees23/05/2020 18:52:45
122 forum posts

Hi, In capital letters it says washout. It says the wings must be washed out1/2 inch at the tip,this means that when the tip panel is placed  on a flat surface the trailing edge is raised 1/2 inch at the tip. The inner panels must be flat by the same test. This is what is confusing me.

Edited By bees on 23/05/2020 18:53:11

Edited By bees on 23/05/2020 18:53:47

Mike T24/05/2020 15:04:40
489 forum posts
37 photos

The advice on your plan seems to me to be singularly unhelpful, as the 'tip' of the wing is at the 1/3 chord point, just aft of the main spars! If you pack it there, you don't get washout, you get dihedral...

In the absence of any better guidance, I'd suggest packing the TE at the last rib before the tip, but I don't understand why Buckle's version requires it while 5 others of varying sizes, don't!

bees24/05/2020 19:59:57
122 forum posts

Hi, As you say its very confusing, I went ahead and lifted the tip by 1/2 inch but made sure that from forward of the tip to the leading edge was flat to the board. After taking the outer tip from the board i eyeballed it from the TE and it just shows a few degrees of washout, hopefully the second tip will be the same. Thank you for your advice.

Mike T26/05/2020 12:29:20
489 forum posts
37 photos

I'm sure a couple of degrees either side won't do any harm. Good luck with the rest of the build! smiley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!