Honest replies

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Wagg10/06/2020 11:04:23
105 forum posts
19 photos
Posted by Torsten Spitzner on 09/06/2020 14:42:49:
Posted by FlyinBrian on 14/05/2020 20:38:59:

I was an apprentice at GEC Henly and saw the production line of the soldering irons - Built like brick outhouses.

My Dad used to have an iron which was a lump of 3/4" square copper on a steel rod with a wooden handle, he heated it in the living room fire. It was just the job for soldering brake cables to nipples on bikes and motorbikes.

What your Dad had would probably have been a 'solder bullet', commonly used by plumbers in 'roof plumbing'. Ie. Flashings etc. It is heated in a gas flame and then used normally, soldering lead or gms flashings.

Think I still have a "soldering bullet" but never knew it was called that. I did use one once with a piece of stick solder in a "learning" situation. I have a few irons and a small blow torch but for work, such as thick piano wire, I use a Weller soldering gun.

Doc Marten14/07/2020 21:58:41
630 forum posts
7 photos

If anyone fancies a brand spanking new old stock, never seen a plug or solder, with box and original paperwork, there's one on Ebay : 125w Solon

Edited By Doc Marten on 14/07/2020 21:59:49

David Ovenden15/07/2020 05:34:09
362 forum posts
17 photos

Still using my Dad's old 125w Solon iron (that I "borrowed" from him 40 yrs ago) for "heavy" work! Does the job every time.

Richard Clark 215/07/2020 06:37:14
418 forum posts

My Solon has served two generations, my father and me, so it's at least 70 years old. It's the 240 Watt one and was made before they painted the handle - it's bare wood with not the tiniest trace of paint and the cord is cotton covered.

But it burnt out some years ago and for heavy work such as undercarriages I have been using a couple of old unpowered ones heated on the gas cooker . I recently got fed up with this, as did my wife, and I have recently purchased a 100 Watt Antex 'Lite'.

Bit erosion.

Temperature control helps but the main reason is the modern lead free solder which is about all you can find in most DIY stores. Not even iron plated/coated bits stand that for long but wiping it thoroughly clean while still hot with wet genuine sponge is good. (Imitation sponge is prone to melt even when wet and lacks the microscopic sharp calcium 'whiskers' of the real stuff.)

Peter Miller15/07/2020 07:30:44
11214 forum posts
1321 photos
10 articles

Squires still sell 500gram rolls of ordinary multicore solder.

Doc Marten15/07/2020 11:46:46
630 forum posts
7 photos
Posted by Peter Miller on 15/07/2020 07:30:44:

Squires still sell 500gram rolls of ordinary multicore solder.

Why do I always forget about Squires?

I love visiting their shop, I spend an age browsing in there, I always buy something as a kind of courtesy when I do.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!