Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Gary's Brian Taylor P-47 build

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gary Clark 104/07/2020 19:03:45
242 forum posts
131 photos

Good luck with the covering nick, I enjoy glassing but get frustrated with the constant fill, sand, fill, sand, fill, sand because I always miss bits. The results are worth the effort though.

The outer gear doors will be a bit of a challenge i reckon. It all depends on how scale you want to go but i want mine to overlap as per full size but it's hard to do since there is very little margin between the bottom of the oleo when retracted and the bottom skin depth (if that makes sense?) So the door must be thin and strong so either glass fibre or litho with balsa strengtheners and some sort of loop bracket that holds on to the oleo but allows it to slide up and down when the gear moves. BT uses brass for that but I think a 3d printed one could work and will be easy to modify. I'd say this is the next major part I haven't really cleared up in my head yet. As I said before "future Gary's problem" wink 2

Nick Somerville04/07/2020 20:31:27
109 forum posts
68 photos

Not wrong about the outer gear doors Garry. I have some suitable brass sheet to try and fabricate Brian’s method for them, but am daunted by the minuscule size of the fixings, tolerances and not least the 3 way hinge.

The EL2 laminating resin (with slow cure hardener) from Easy Composites is a great product. It’s the thinnest viscosity of any other resins I have used so wetting out the cloth is quick and definitely no risk of adding unnecessary weight. The only drawback is it is so light that it does not have the tackiness of others I have used so edges of parts need careful working to ensure there is full contact/adhesion.

Gary Clark 104/07/2020 21:11:46
242 forum posts
131 photos

I've heard good things about the easy composite resin in the past. I'm using the fighter aces stuff just now and it is very good but it is expensive.

What level of detail are you going for on the finish? I'm doing panel lines and 50/50 between rivets or not. I probably will as long as the rest goes well but if it's a bit average I'll just paint it and never forgive myself for not putting the rivets on

I'm putting the detail on my moth minor just now to try get it finished so P-47 is sitting aside just now but not for long

Gary

Nick Somerville04/07/2020 21:52:45
109 forum posts
68 photos

Look forward to some photos of the Moth when finished. It’s a good looking aircraft.

As mentioned before scale gliders was my main modelling background so panel lines and detailing a warbird is all going to be new. Rivets at the scale of Brian’s design will need to be so small that I really don’t think it’s for me. There are plenty of more visual details like the shutters light fittings, turbo outlet, cockpit/canopy etc that ought to make it look a stand out model in any case.

btw the EL2 Laminating resin is just £10 plus VAT for 500g

Ron Gray04/07/2020 21:54:45
2235 forum posts
978 photos

@Gary - I 3D print the oleo brackets to fasten the doors to varying the stand off to suit

img_4793.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1516.jpeg

Gary Clark 104/07/2020 22:01:55
242 forum posts
131 photos

That's exactly what I was thinking Ron, great to see that it worked. Thanks

Nick Somerville05/07/2020 17:39:58
109 forum posts
68 photos

Finished planking the fus today so thought I would celebrate with some garden posing. I lined out inside the shutter area with litho, before the last bits went on, as I plan to divide my exhaust and route it out on both sides.

c4683208-a724-40eb-9dc1-cf8770ae18c6.jpeg

Gary Clark 105/07/2020 23:32:11
242 forum posts
131 photos

Love it Nick. It's a great feeling getting to that stage of a build, give you a massive boost after all the hard work.

I am planning on diverting my exhaust out the shutters also. Was thinking about silicone tube from the exhausts then aluminium tube through the fuse holes to exit at the shutters. Simple in principle....

Gary

Nick Somerville06/07/2020 09:14:16
109 forum posts
68 photos

Unfortunately the exhaust from a Laser 180 is a bit hot for silicon I am told. I thought I would use flexipipe to a copper or brass y connector and then flexipipe again to the shutters.

Nick Somerville09/07/2020 10:08:13
109 forum posts
68 photos

Got my Electron retracts operational yesterday only to find that my installation is misaligned for the units despite all my careful following of the plan. Pretty sure I am going to have to perform some major surgery and tbh I have no idea how I am going to work out how to get them positioned correctly. The ups and downs of modelling!!

Nick Somerville11/07/2020 09:30:18
109 forum posts
68 photos

Hi Garry, you mentioned you have a 3D printer. I came across this the other day: **LINK** I assume you can set the scale to print the parts.

Gary Binnie11/07/2020 10:12:05
523 forum posts
52 photos

Just a thought reading about your retract problems Nick, is the joining rod between the strut and retract unit bent?

I've had great fun with a BT Spitfire and mechanical Unitracts, the main problem was the mounting lugs were in the wrong place. This intentional kink in the joining rod is needed to correct the pintle angle. I don't have the Thunderbolt plan but if your bearers are in the right place (holes in ribs) and the retract angle is good then this could be the problem.

Cheers

Gary

joining rod angle.jpg

Danny Fenton11/07/2020 13:09:00
9651 forum posts
4460 photos

You also have to watch the position of the retract pivot point. The unitract mechanicals had a different pivot point to the air driven.

All sent to try us....

Cheers

Danny

Nick Somerville11/07/2020 13:39:25
109 forum posts
68 photos

Thanks for the advice guys. The problem was that although the leg length from axle centre to pivot point was correct and the bearers were positioned as per the plan, I had by necessity twisted the Electron units by quite a bit rearwards to get the Wheel to sit in the centre of the well. Once I had got the units working I realised that the changed angle resulted in significant toe in. I have now cut out the rear bearers and moved them back by 10mm and then doubled up the front bearer. With the retracts mounted parallel to the bearers as they should be the wheel now folds perfectly into its place and the alignment looks spot on when deployed. Thank goodness!

Nick Somerville11/07/2020 14:53:58
109 forum posts
68 photos

Here a photo showing the repositioned gear.b716c213-f4ba-490c-b84f-9d1eb315e176.jpeg

Gary Clark 112/07/2020 13:21:42
242 forum posts
131 photos

Sorry for the delay in replying Nick, I don't have much time on my hands just now due to work but I'm trying to catch up where I can.

Retracts are probably the bit I dread the most on every build, mainly because there isn't a way to work everything out perfectly before so it's just hours of trial and error until it all fits. It's worth the effort for look and also handling but I still dont particularly enjoy it and something I'm not very confident doing still.

The 3D printed cockpit looks great! Do you want me to print you one nick? Easy to do once I scale it for myself anyway.

Gary

Nick Somerville12/07/2020 18:01:31
109 forum posts
68 photos

No apology needed Garry, I am furloughed till September hence time on my hands to make progress. Tbh although my various work is part time I look forward to getting back to it.

That’s an offer I can’t refuse re the cockpit. Mind you I have some months of work before I get to that stage I think.

Apart from sorting the retracts I have been enjoying some fiddly bits. Elevator and rudder trim tabs and false actuators/linkages. Also the upper leg connection ‘things’ as per the plan. Not yet finished as I haven’t fabricated the leg covers that they attach to yet. I am capping all the rib undersides to give an extra depth for legs, wheels and retracts as they are so tight. Also the patchwork of sheeting will benefit from a good glue land that has been sanded to take out any minor deviations in profile.

Nick Somerville18/07/2020 14:05:24
109 forum posts
68 photos

Been fiddling around making the parts for the leg covers. Quite challenging and really would have benefited from a decent pair of glasses. Just need to add the little connecting rods to the leg straps and then tack it all in place to see if the overlap works on gear deployment. If by some miracle it does, then just a pair of servo access hatches and those pesky ailerons to finalise and I can finally skin the bottom of the wings.
372ce2d6-72e3-4346-b98e-ca77dfa58b78.jpeg

Gary Clark 119/07/2020 12:30:51
242 forum posts
131 photos

Cant argue with those nick, they look exactly like the plan. In my limited experience, things like that get attached to the oleo, dont work first time then with a little tweek they are perfect. That is the benefit to working from BT plans where detail like that is included because I dont have the imagination to make up things like that in my head! Let us know how they work.

Gary

Nick Somerville19/07/2020 13:03:54
109 forum posts
68 photos

Turns out that they were a waste of effort. I set the removable cover in place and went to operate the retract only to find that due to their design, which is quite different to the Taylor mechanical retracts, the three way hinge completely fouls the movement. Looks like I am going to have to rethink everything and probably resort to a fixed leg cover of some sort. Want a set of Taylor modelled Leg covers Gary?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!