Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Personal Injuries.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
john stones 119/05/2020 17:11:35
11541 forum posts
1517 photos

Bit of a whinge sorry, yesterday my Son was knocked off his Cycle, tea time on a good visibility day, now laid in hospital with multiple broken bones. He's 39 years old and no idiot on his bike, story so far is a Transit van took him the width of the road, then drove off, but returned after a time. Police have statements from witnesses. Son has no memory of being hit, but the village grapevines says he wasn't at fault, they say some interesting things and I'll leave it there.

So my question, which is the best way to get a lawyer for my Sons case, and can we go after the driver if he's at fault ? If what I've heard is true, I would like to make his life a misery.

Shaun Walsh19/05/2020 17:21:29
323 forum posts
49 photos

Check to see if your son's household insurance includes legal assistance. Similarly if he drives and is a member of the AA or RAC he may have legal assistance with them. Other than that it's the "Have you had an accident that wasn't your fault" Better Call Saul type lawyers or retain your own solicitor.

Edited By Shaun Walsh on 19/05/2020 17:26:05

Shaun Walsh19/05/2020 17:24:29
323 forum posts
49 photos

One other possibility, if he is a Union member (Unite, Amicus etc.) legal assistance may be available through the Union.

Andy4819/05/2020 17:53:20
1545 forum posts
9 photos

Sadly it will be his insurer not him whose life you make a misery.

Robin Colbourne19/05/2020 17:55:14
594 forum posts
17 photos

John, I hope your son makes as speedy a recovery without any long term complications.

Without wishing to condone the driver's failing to stop, be thankful that the driver returned and faced up to what he had done. People are all different, and panic makes them behave in strange ways.

Shaun's suggestions all sound good. If none of those are applicable, you could try speaking to Cycling UK
which used to be known as the Cycle Touring Club. At least the companies they use should be experienced in dealing with claims by cyclists. Failing that, have a look on a few cycling forums; there is bound to be a thread about good and bad claims lawyers.

FlyinBrian19/05/2020 18:09:00
639 forum posts
4 photos

John, may your son return to full health quickly and all power to him and you in getting the compensation deserved.

I trust the white van man was insured!

Denis Watkins19/05/2020 18:50:47
4459 forum posts
113 photos

Heart breaking John and a terrible fright too

But Do Not contact this man in anyway, other than through your chosen brief

You will just hurt yourself and your case

john stones 119/05/2020 18:58:26
11541 forum posts
1517 photos

Nowt to do with money, just looks the only way to hurt him, really not that concerned about his insurer, they've had years of no claims off me.

May be home tomorrow they cannot operate till swelling goes.

Doug Campbell19/05/2020 19:00:22
106 forum posts
2 photos

Unfortunately only the rich can afford to get justice in this country, but good luck and I hope your son makes a speedy and full recovery.

john stones 119/05/2020 19:06:55
11541 forum posts
1517 photos

Thank yous, he'll be o.k not life threatening or liable to lead to long term problems.

RC Plane Flyer19/05/2020 19:15:33
733 forum posts
10 photos

Hi John sorry about your news and trust things fall in place to get some satisfaction

Jon - Laser Engines19/05/2020 19:47:36
5513 forum posts
268 photos

The van driver is bang to rights for leaving the scene. Who is to say the person driving it when it came back was the actual driver.

Dwain Dibley.19/05/2020 20:46:07
1506 forum posts
1487 photos

Hi john, sorry to hear about your Lads accident..

I cycle to work most days and most days I have what I call a near miss, most are just drivers not concentrating, but some are deliberate shows of aggression. your Lad will be aware of this I know.

I second the suggestion from Robin to contact Cycling UK, I am a member. It costs About £45 per annum and well worth it for the cover and legal backup.

They should be able to help or at least point you in the right direction.

The other thing I do, is wear a camera on my helmet. Whatever happens then, I have evidence.

Hope the Boy recovers soon, and is back on his bike.

D.D.

Tim Flyer19/05/2020 21:17:40
1290 forum posts
236 photos

Very sorry to hear that I’m sure as said above Cycling UK will help... I’m a member too. It’s so sad seeing the awful attitude of some motorists to cyclists.

Jon - Laser Engines19/05/2020 21:28:14
5513 forum posts
268 photos
Posted by Tim Flyer on 19/05/2020 21:17:40:

Very sorry to hear that I’m sure as said above Cycling UK will help... I’m a member too. It’s so sad seeing the awful attitude of some motorists to cyclists.

i think it goes both ways Tim. Before i could drive i saw the bad motorists as i cycled along. Now i can drive i see the bad cyclists sailing through red lights, the nutcase motorbikes going way too fast, and the bad drivers thinking they are gods gift and everyone else is just in the way.

Ultimately everyone on the road should be considerate of everyone else but that is not always the case

John, given that the police are already involved can they not offer you some advice?

Doc Marten19/05/2020 21:35:02
584 forum posts
8 photos
Posted by Doug Campbell on 19/05/2020 19:00:22:

Unfortunately only the rich can afford to get justice in this country...….

Ridiculous, nonsense reply!!

I hope your son makes a full recovery John.

Tim Flyer19/05/2020 21:49:54
1290 forum posts
236 photos

Jon yes it “goes” both ways in terms of “rule breaking” but certainly not in terms of physical risk or injury. I also drive cars so can appreciate both sides.

There is a massive mismatched risk to cyclists from cars and lorries.

I see motorists overtake cyclists leaving minimal gap very very often. Cars often overtake cyclists through width restrictions and overtake on blind bends and ahead of oncoming traffic .
I have never heard of a cycle collision injuring a driver but even being hit by a wing mirror can kill a cyclist or result in life changing injury.

john stones 119/05/2020 21:50:20
11541 forum posts
1517 photos
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 19/05/2020 21:28:14:
Posted by Tim Flyer on 19/05/2020 21:17:40:

i think it goes both ways Tim. Before i could drive i saw the bad motorists as i cycled along. Now i can drive i see the bad cyclists sailing through red lights, the nutcase motorbikes going way too fast, and the bad drivers thinking they are gods gift and everyone else is just in the way.

Ultimately everyone on the road should be considerate of everyone else but that is not always the case

John, given that the police are already involved can they not offer you some advice?

Not spoken to them, apart from when they came to inform us Jon, I stood there with my gob open and brain not working to be honest, they have his bike and property, so a visit looks on the cards.

Peter Christy19/05/2020 22:28:57
1823 forum posts

John, may I add my wishes for your son's speedy recovery.

In addition to the above suggestions about obtaining legal aid, you may find that if he has car insurance, that may also offer legal aid. These days it seems as if every kind of insurance policy offers some kind of legal assistance, so once he is well enough to talk to you, check out every insurance policy he holds.

Personally, I am loath to venture on the highways without being surrounded by substantial quantities of sheet steel! There are far too many idiots out there on the roads!

--

Pete

Geoff S19/05/2020 23:26:23
3669 forum posts
26 photos

Insurance is just one of the many reasons I've been a member of the CTC (now Cycling UK) for over 40 years. I hope your son recovers well and the errant motorist gets his just deserts.

I was knocked off by an uninsured driver in an untaxed un MoT car some years ago and the police weren't very interested in my injuries but as I was cycling home from work I was able to get help from the union and the Motor Insurer's Bureau coughed up a couple of thousand for a new Mercian frame and my injuries. Oddly enough the most serious injury I've had cycling was caused by a cat and that really was life changing.

Geoff

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!