Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Irvine 39 2stroke.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Richard Clark 225/05/2020 02:14:03
292 forum posts
Posted by Andy Stephenson on 24/05/2020 11:04:39:

The OS manufactured Irvines are quite easy to spot because they have OS branded carbs. I have an original Irvine .53 and an OS Irvine .53 and the major parts are not interchangeable so they must have redesigned them for cost reasons. As far as I know, OS never made the .72 or a .39. Then they disappeared off the scene altogether as I guess they were competing too well with OS's own product. It makes you wonder why OS agreed to make Irvines in the first place.

A.

It does make you wonder why OS made some late Irvine engines. I never owned one myself so I never noticed the carb branding.

Except for a couple of perfectly satisfactory (but rattly-sounding at tickover) RCV58 CD's I purchased when they were actually made in the UK I stick to OS as some of the Chinese copies are complete rubbish. EG - I had two 'well known' ones where the carbs were so leaky air still got in when the throttle was fully closed and you could not cut the engine.

It's a shame that the choice of 'good' engines has decreased so much. And it started before electrics became so popular so it's not entirely due to that..

Nigel R25/05/2020 07:06:43
3922 forum posts
685 photos

Gave then a chance to test out Chinese production with a brand they were running down. Same shop prices and cheap manufacture.

FlyinBrian25/05/2020 08:30:10
639 forum posts
4 photos

Superb little engine as is the 36, I have had three .36s over the years but they are well down on power compared to the .39 - a Weston Genesis mini pipe adds a few hundred revs too.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!