Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Like for Like Equivalent to a SuperTiger 2000

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mark Michalski 224/05/2020 22:25:27
6 forum posts

Hi Guys,

Took an extended break from flying. Just getting back into it.

I have 2 fairly large scratch built Hanno Prettner Suprafly. One is running on a SuperTigre 2000 and the other is on a SuperTiger 3000.

These Engines are over 25 years old and have not been run for probably 20 years. I'm not sure on the reliability having been left in a loft for that amount of time.

I'm looking to replace the engines. However, as no shops are open I'm kind of buying blind online, hence I've come to this forum for some help.

Supertigres it would appear are no longer available. What IC engine would you recommend as a like for like or a much improved version of the ST 2000 and ST 3000. Also I require something that is the same size so I don't have any problems fitting it.

Any recommendations ?

Thanks in Advance

FlyinBrian25/05/2020 13:33:52
661 forum posts
4 photos

I dont know of any 20 - 30 cc two stroke Glow engines these days, maybe look at 20 to 30 cc petrol motor eg DLE 20 and 30.or MVVS 30cc

You may get hold of a used Moki 180 or 210 glow on ebay or BMFA classifieds.

Good Luck

Edited By FlyinBrian on 25/05/2020 13:34:43

Doc Marten25/05/2020 13:47:48
692 forum posts
7 photos

Do you have to replace them?

I'm still running my Super tigres as are many others, they're good engines and go for reasonable prices on ebay, needles and aftermarket piston rings are still available new.

mal brewer25/05/2020 13:52:43
332 forum posts
1 photos

I can see no reason why these engines should be any less reliable now than before they were stored.I have a S-T 2000 and a S-T 3000 both of about the same age,not run for many years,and am about to put one in an Extra-Wot. Your engines will probably require flushing through,and maybe new bearings,but I would run them and see how they perform...……...excellent engines BTW...………………….Mal

Edited By mal brewer on 25/05/2020 13:53:18

john stones 125/05/2020 13:57:00
11638 forum posts
1517 photos

Agree, If you where happy with them before, why change, may need some new O rings or something but they should be fine.

Barrie Lever25/05/2020 14:08:40
294 forum posts
52 photos

Mark

You will not find anything of the quality of your ST 2000 and 3000 available these days as a glow plug motor, the Chinese effectively destroyed that market and then ran off to do something else with the ASP/SC staff.

I have two suggestions.

1) Do a through strip down/clean up of the Super Tigres as I am sure they will still run well.

2) Get an OS petrol two stroke, expensive but not more than the Super Tigres given time/inflation and the extra spec.

B.

Chris Freeman 325/05/2020 14:08:42
353 forum posts
525 photos

Great engines, I have quite a few that I still use, I prefer them to gas. you can leave them for long periods and they start easily once you get some fuel through them.

Mark Michalski 225/05/2020 15:09:43
6 forum posts

Wow Guys. This forum is FANTASTIC. Posted a few questions and got rock solid replies. Thank you all so much.

I am going to try stripping down and cleaning them. What should I use to clean them ? Thinners or is there something else you would recommend.

Thanks again guys really appreciate it. You all gave me some food for thought.

Dad_flyer25/05/2020 15:39:35
314 forum posts
315 photos

There is a whole recent thread on cleaning and bearing replacement. Not this one, but that does have some of it in.

Not an IC flyer myself, but I like reading about them wink

mal brewer25/05/2020 22:32:08
332 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Mark.

re. cleaning your S-T's, I always used to use toluene, but where you would get it from these days I really don't know.I would assume neat methanol, or maybe WD-40 would be suitable,provided they were dried and oiled after cleaning, preferably with something like auto-transmission fluid, not 3-in 1 oil. I assume you realise these engines only require an oil content of 10 %. I used to buy a gallon of 20% oil fuel, and dilute it with a gallon of neat methanol...…………...good luck with your engines, I'm sure they will be fine...…...Mal.

Engine Doctor26/05/2020 12:23:03
2579 forum posts
40 photos

I doubt whether you will find any new 2st glow engines these days that will be a match for quality to the S T engines apart from OS or YS and then you will need a mortgage ! Super Tiger engines are easy to service and bearings and piston rings are easy to obtain . Bearings from ant bearing supplier and piston rings fro Gaviscool on e-bay I. Excellent product at very sensible prices . Provided all major parts are sound and carb parts are all there then a service / overhaul will cost under £30 for parts plus a gallon of thinners at about £12. If the carb or needle valves are damaged then these are hard to find , but you may find repro parts on e-bay .or possibly a replacement carb .

To clean dirty engines I use gun wash cellulose thinners to clean any loose gunge off engines before stripping and cleaning . Once stripped soak overnight in thinners then , wearing some decent gloves clean all parts with a stiff brush or old tooth brush . Really stubborn parts can be cleaned with a green pan scourer . Any baked on oil can usually be removed with oven carbon remover but test on a small area first as they can discolour the casings .

Once all parts are clean the thinners can be filtered through some kitchen towel and reused on your next project .

If you do decide to replace them then Just Engines sell NGH petrol engines that are about the same physical size and possibly will fit int the same mounts .

Good luck and hope you get them running .

ps dont forget that the big ST engines like a low oil content fuel typically around 10% But do change to synthetic as the castor based fuel ( Big Brute) popular when they were made will bake on and make a mess of your clean . engine . Southern Modelcraft can mix you a low oil content fuel or you could speak to Alan at Weston UK

Alan Gorham_26/05/2020 12:27:14
1306 forum posts
145 photos

Engine Doctor, Moki glow engines are still in limited production and can be contacted via either their website or Facebook. I would contend their bigger engines such as the 180 are at least the equal of the big STs.

Re spare wire type needles for the ST Mag type carbs, Gaviscool the piston ring man also makes replacement needles.

Barrie Lever26/05/2020 12:49:59
294 forum posts
52 photos

Alan is correct, if Moki's are still being made they are excellent engines.

B.

Alan Gorham_26/05/2020 13:04:33
1306 forum posts
145 photos

They definitely are! I have spoken via email to the current owner Istvan Lorincz and he is helpful and gives good service. However, if the ST engines belonging to the OP were put away it working order then they are at least likely to be usable after some attention if not fine.

Jon - Laser Engines26/05/2020 13:16:45
5614 forum posts
271 photos

Call motors and rotors. Dave will give you all the help you need

Nigel R26/05/2020 13:52:12
4066 forum posts
693 photos

Can't see why a soak won't get them back in order quite easily. I guess they might need new bearings as well.

"Any recommendations ?"

If you're willing to go second hand, Irvine 120 and 150 crop up on ebay somewhat regularly. As do many other ST engines, the 20cc - 30cc glow sizes don't seem to sell for that much.

Doc Marten26/05/2020 14:09:34
692 forum posts
7 photos

Gun wash thinners is great for cleaning castings and bearings just be careful on non metallic parts as it can soften some plastic in a heartbeat, I recently stripped a ST 61 and put the sealed front bearing in gun wash, it melted the shield to an unrecognisable lump which I had to pick out.

Old fuel is probably the safest but not the most effective, take the advice from Engine Doctor, he knows what he's doing.

Engine Doctor26/05/2020 15:06:10
2579 forum posts
40 photos
Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 26/05/2020 12:27:14:

Engine Doctor, Moki glow engines are still in limited production and can be contacted via either their website or Facebook. I would contend their bigger engines such as the 180 are at least the equal of the big STs.

thanks for the info .Agreed The moki are excellent engines . Thought that they had gone as well . good to hear that they are still in production.

Engine Doctor26/05/2020 15:13:20
2579 forum posts
40 photos
Posted by Nigel R on 26/05/2020 13:52:12:

Can't see why a soak won't get them back in order quite easily. I guess they might need new bearings as well.

"Any recommendations ?"

If you're willing to go second hand, Irvine 120 and 150 crop up on ebay somewhat regularly. As do many other ST engines, the 20cc - 30cc glow sizes don't seem to sell for that much.

Just soaking an engine doesn't always work . While the bearings feel free the balls are often stuck in their cage and don't roll but skid around and damage the races. If they had been used with castor based fuel , which is likely the , the holes in the conrod for lubrication are likely to be blocked with plugs of castor varnish . Only way to get them back into service is to strip properly and clean them .

There was a batch of I believe 7 big ST's on the BMFA a few days ago for bargain money .

Nigel R26/05/2020 15:19:34
4066 forum posts
693 photos

Thanks ED, I stand corrected - that's another nugget to file away when looking at old motors.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!