Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Futababa 14SG - No Power

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mark Michalski 225/05/2020 10:29:32
6 forum posts

Hi Guys,

So I have not used my Futaba 14SG for about 5 years. I've plugged the battery pack in overnight to charge. Reconnected to my Transmitter and it is still dead.

MY question is it possible for a battery to deteriorate over a 5 year period where it would no longer hold any sort of charge ?

I'm trying to buy a replacement battery now. No shops are open so I can't call and ask.

Would any 6v 1800mah Nimh battery pack work ? I've seen one that is 6v 2000mah it has the right connection for the transmitter but not sure if it will work.

Official Futaba battery is £42.50. But there appears to be no stock anywhere.

Any help greatly appreciated

Nigel Dell25/05/2020 10:48:10
448 forum posts
44 photos

TX batteries

Mark

Try here, they are great to deal with, they have been trading via mail order and answer emails! They do various packs to suit most pockets, personally I have used the eneloops without any problems.

Regards

Nige.

P.S. Yes the battery can be dead in that time.

Edited By Nigel Dell on 25/05/2020 10:51:00

Denis Watkins25/05/2020 10:50:15
4463 forum posts
113 photos

Definitely in 5 years even 5 weeks, a battery can go flat and reverse voltage and be dead

Mark Michalski 225/05/2020 11:09:45
6 forum posts

Thanks Guys. Just bought a Futaba Replacement battery from Inwood models via Ebay. Fingers crossed that solves it. Transmitter been locked in a carry case for 5 years. Can't think it would be anything else.

Cuban825/05/2020 11:21:06
2961 forum posts
1 photos

Ceratinly sounds like the battery has had it - unusual to be completely dead after a full charge, but not unknown if it's been held completely flat for an extended time. However, just to confirm, can you use the battery to run something else (presume you don't have a multimeter) like a small 6V bulb or DC motor after its been on charge?

Did the charger seem to be working OK? (lights on if it had them and getting warm to the touch during charging).

Edited By Cuban8 on 25/05/2020 11:24:22

Colin Carpenter25/05/2020 13:59:50
643 forum posts
35 photos

Don’t forget to check for black wire corrosion in tx especially from plug onwards. Seen an expensive JR go like fungi in under 3 years ! Colin

Jesus Cardin25/05/2020 17:04:41
79 forum posts
17 photos

Mark does not have to worry about black wire corrosion at least at the transmitter side, as the battery connects direct to the 14MZ main board and there are no cables inside.

Of course the battery lead may be affected, but not inside the transmitter.

Trevor Crook25/05/2020 17:27:40
969 forum posts
69 photos

Still worth having a look at the main board - corrosion can spread on pcb tracking too, but at least it's visible, unlike the corrosion inside wire sleeving. I'd suggest that if the solder joints for the battery connector on the pcb look ok, then all ia well.

Keith Evans 325/05/2020 18:29:12
394 forum posts
148 photos

Hi Mark,

Following up on what Cuban 8 has suggested re the charger .If it was the one originally supplied with the set ther e was a recall on these for safety issues .I had mine repaired thro' Steve Webb and Ripmax which took a few months to resolve .

Like you I left the Tx not used for along period of time .On charging the Tx with the repaired charger I thought it had fully re charged ,over night as I normally do and went flying the following day only to find it had not been fully charged .

I traced the problem to the charger itself.

I duly dumped the charger and have been using a stand alone charger that copes with Lipos etc .with no problems. The battery has been working fine ever since .

Hope this helps .

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!