Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Very few wooden ARTF models

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin Arnold 127/05/2020 13:44:18
21 forum posts
3 photos

Have just renewed my subs to RCM&E and had my first copy June 2020.

What has happened to all the mid size ARTF models, it seems that they are very hard to find these days, on browsing the ads and editorials in the mag everything is either a foamy, a kit or a plan built model. Even online the shops list loads of artf kits, but most are out of stock.

Even a standard size Ripmax Wot 4 artf is not easily available !!

Am I missing something ?

Nigel R27/05/2020 13:51:11
3912 forum posts
678 photos

In order (and just my conjecture) cheap labour gets less cheap, retail prices go up, less punters buying, market contracts.

Foamies, kits and plans don't have the labour problem.

Paul Marsh27/05/2020 14:06:19
4025 forum posts
1217 photos

The Corona Virus hasn't helped, but over the last 2 years, even ARTF's have been lacking, though the weak pound and rising prices has seen demand drop, so therefore less retailers are buying stock in if they know it won't sell.

Barrie Lever27/05/2020 14:14:24
243 forum posts
50 photos

Maybe the Chinese are loosing interest in making ARTF's like they did with making ASP/SC engines.

B.

Nigel R27/05/2020 14:19:51
3912 forum posts
678 photos

I think it's simply become less financially viable. Whichever way you slice it, a wood ARTF has a lot of touch time involved in the manufacturing.

The foamies are still being pumped out.

Mr Chinnery27/05/2020 18:08:56
29 forum posts

It looks to me that if you want a wooden plane these days you're better off building good old trad' British kits.

Chris Foss's build it yourself range are a delight, and Cloud/Galaxy Models remain a great budget choice, tough as old boots - to name just two manufacturers - and if you hack your way through the undergrowth of the Internet you can find several more established UK manufacturers, all selling brilliant reliable models

And to grind a favourite axe of mine - most of the trad' U.K. manufacturers products will not leave their u/c behind on the strip the first time they make a less than perfect landing like any artf offering produced in the Far East, designed for the smooth paved runways of the U.S. Market. ( Had 1 foamy AcroWot & 3 artf Wot 4s of different sizes over the years and ALL lost their U/Cs more than once - my first Wot 4 , wot I builded myself, kept its wire and wheels u/c in situ from birth to it's dumb thumbed total destruction 3 hard flown years later! And the same has occurred with 2 or 3 other Far Eastern jobs too, but never had a similar problem with any I built myself, or any properly built by someone else from a Bring and Buy.

Rant Over.

kc27/05/2020 18:42:57
6511 forum posts
173 photos

If you need a wood ready built plane then ask around at your club, especially if you want ic power as lots of people are getting rid of ic models now. People are getting older and giving up unfortunately and models last longer with reliable radios now, so many people sell their old models to make space for new. You may have to pay a fair price for a good model but it may be complete with servos etc which makes it worthwhile.

Paul Marsh28/05/2020 10:49:21
4025 forum posts
1217 photos

This year, there will be even less models available. If it ever recovers, we'll see, but the days of a cheap ARTFs, in abundance, are gone...

standshow.jpg

Edited By Paul Marsh on 28/05/2020 10:51:51

MattyB28/05/2020 11:38:03
2073 forum posts
32 photos
Posted by Paul Marsh on 28/05/2020 10:49:21:

This year, there will be even less models available. If it ever recovers, we'll see, but the days of a cheap ARTFs, in abundance, are gone...

Agreed. Unfortunately I believe we are coming to an inflection point where participation in the traditional (i.e. fixed wing, LOS) hobby will rapidly diminish due to a perfect storm of aging participants, Coronavirus restrictions, ever increasing red tape from EASA/CAA and years of future financial hardship paying for the Coronavirus response. I would not be surprised if membership of the major associations had halved within 5 years; certainly it is going to get harder and more expensive to run our clubs, and lower participation numbers means higher prices for our models and gear. It doesn't look good...

Chris Walby28/05/2020 12:25:14
1237 forum posts
303 photos

Perhaps not as good as the "Glory" days, but then I have only been in the hobby 5 years and there appears to be Seagull, VQ and Blackhorse still making balsa ARTF's to choose from so plenty to work through until having to build your own wink

Frank Skilbeck28/05/2020 13:00:04
4729 forum posts
101 photos
Posted by MattyB on 28/05/2020 11:38:03:
Posted by Paul Marsh on 28/05/2020 10:49:21:

This year, there will be even less models available. If it ever recovers, we'll see, but the days of a cheap ARTFs, in abundance, are gone...

Agreed. Unfortunately I believe we are coming to an inflection point where participation in the traditional (i.e. fixed wing, LOS) hobby will rapidly diminish due to a perfect storm of aging participants, Coronavirus restrictions, ever increasing red tape from EASA/CAA and years of future financial hardship paying for the Coronavirus response. I would not be surprised if membership of the major associations had halved within 5 years; certainly it is going to get harder and more expensive to run our clubs, and lower participation numbers means higher prices for our models and gear. It doesn't look good...

Interesting, we must be the exception, have had more enquiries from newbies and returning modellers this year than in previous years.

Doc Marten28/05/2020 13:10:54
580 forum posts
7 photos
Posted by Barrie Lever on 27/05/2020 14:14:24:

Maybe the Chinese are loosing interest in making ARTF's like they did with making ASP/SC engines.

B.

I wouldn't discard that thought at all.

Bob Cotsford28/05/2020 14:02:46
8577 forum posts
477 photos

I wonder how many ARTFs are actually made in China? Both BlackHorse and Seagull are based in Vietnam. CMPro and Pilot-RC are presumably mainland China but aren't really as big names, what about the Ripmax stuff? China or Vietnam?

Andy Stephenson28/05/2020 14:25:53
169 forum posts
28 photos
Posted by Mr Chinnery on 27/05/2020 18:08:56:...And to grind a favourite axe of mine - most of the trad' U.K. manufacturers products will not leave their u/c behind on the strip the first time they make a less than perfect landing like any artf offering produced in the Far East, designed for the smooth paved runways of the U.S. Market. ...
This because apart from being built too lightly in the area of the U/C mounting they never use wire undercarriages which flex fore and aft and take the shock of a hard landing on grass much better than a rigid glass or carbon one.

A.

Andy Loges03/06/2020 15:37:06
23 forum posts

I have advertised 2 BNIB balsa models and not had any interest, maybe model shops are of thesame veiw... don't want to be left holding slow moving stock.

Anyway if anyone is interested I have put them on this site in the classified section.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!