Kevin Fairgrieve21/06/2020 09:38:48
1678 forum posts
2980 photos

Coming along nicely. Would be a good stable mate for my "Farmhand 60"

Lindsay Todd21/06/2020 13:46:29
1746 forum posts
1811 photos

Absolutely Kevin it certainly would be.

Ok so time to build in some washout, some people maybe thinking what is washout so a very quick interpretation is a twist built into the wing that raises the trailing edge at the tip of the wing. The effect is that the wing tips have a reduced angle of attack to the airflow at reduced speeds and nose up attitudes typically during landing and as such reduces risk of tip stall. it also has a spin of in reducing aerodynamic drag in normal flight. Anyway simple to do if you follow simple procedures in the build and starts with jacking up the trailing edge at the tip, in this case a piece of 12mm MDF does the job nicely plus a couple of supporting strips and a bit of weight to hold the wing down.

080.jpg

With that done the top sheeting can be added, leading edge, trailing edge center regions and cap strips to the top of the ribs. This combined with the sheeting on the underside that was partially done will make the wing stable and the washout will be fixed and built in

081.jpg

Complete the sheeting to the top both panels, i also added the wing dowels while the glue was drying

082.jpg

Linds

Lindsay Todd24/06/2020 13:21:34
1746 forum posts
1811 photos

With the main sheeting done top and bottom a couple of little details such as hardwood block to fix the wing struts glued to rib and spar for secure fixing although largely cosmetic on this design

101.jpg

Trailing edge sections added to centre section and tips, stock 38x13mm commercial section used with a tad of sanding

102.jpg

1.5mm ply plate covers for the aileron servos, these have hardwood blocks glue to them on the inside to fix standard size Futaba 148 servos, arm exits through the slot and straight rods to the ailerons horns etc

103.jpg

To keep the wing underside flush to the fuselage soft sheet was cut and glued to the underside, same width as fuselage and sanded to match and drilled through for wing bolts

104.jpg

Wing tips complete the wing structure, i used an extra rib from 6mm balsa and a 3mm balsa profile section then scrap wedges top and bottom and sanded to shape

105.jpg

I chose to get stuck into the covering next. The wing, tail surfaces and open structure on the fuselage all done with the last of my clear solartex. the solid areas of the fuselage were all covered with 0.5 glass cloth and deluxe materials acrylic resin. The resin takes a few coats and sanding between to get to a reasonable finish for painting. So with plenty of white going spare thats what was applied to the glass finished areas. With that done it was time to start on the glazing so firts task to make a few thin card templates.

110.jpg

The sheet acetate 0.5mm was then glued with rc modelers glue and a number of small screws, i will mask off and paint later. I also gave the inside of the cockpit a coat of black.

111.jpg

112.jpg

Front hatch retaining straps are simply strips of 1mm abs and screw into hardwood blocks and of course time to create a few decals to add to the effect

113.jpg

115.jpg

Nearly done now. Linds

Lindsay Todd27/06/2020 21:55:13
1746 forum posts
1811 photos

Plenty of space in the natch for fuel tank or battery, slec tank fitted with loads of space to get set up just right and should provide more than adequate should it go electric

116.jpg

Underside of the cowl is neat and tubes for tank and oil bleed from engine exit, these are retain by p clips screwed it the firewall

117.jpg

Radio installation pretty much complete, again not short of space. A quick cg test would put the 5 cell sub c nmh battery i intend to use just behind the U/C position so has loads of space and a simply ply tray will be made to fix in place across the fuselage width.

118.jpg

Got a bit carried away really and decided to add some purely cosmetic wire bracing to the tail surfaces as well as a logo and bit of rust paint

119.jpg

with a name like Rusty Ferguson i figured a few panels and rust marks were necessary

120.jpg

121.jpg

I also added some hinges to the right hand door to make it accessible and fitted a battery monitor and bit of a dashboard and of cause a pilot of suitable character although i will save his face till later

122.jpg

bit more detailing on the wing, fit the battery and ready for test flights i guess now, assembled shots asap

Linds

Stephen Jones27/06/2020 22:03:03
2855 forum posts
1618 photos

Looking Very good Lindsay. thumbs up

Steve

Lindsay Todd03/07/2020 08:00:58
1746 forum posts
1811 photos

Well model now finished and waiting opportunity for test flight. I have pondered adding the wing struts time and time again but I'm really not sure it needs then so for the moment at least i have decided to go without, i may yet change my mind once i see how it looks in the air. Any way i have kept the scheme very simple on this one with basically all white, clear or antique fabric and just a couple of red highlights on the tips and fin. A few panel lines and obligatory rust marks to finish.

135.jpg

Oh and of course every crop duster needs a suitable pilot, this guy i think fits the bill nicely

136.jpg

Flying shots etc when opportunity arrives, not this weekend i feel

Linds

Lindsay Todd11/07/2020 22:20:51
1746 forum posts
1811 photos

Finally had the chance for the maiden flight of Rusty Ferguson today and get some photos together

7f5a7490.jpg

I am really rather pleased with this design and with the ground shots out the way fuel up and engine running nicely a few taxi runs were carried out which proved a need for steerable rather than castering tail wheel will be an advantage so i will update back in the workshop. With that noted the model was lined up, power applied and committed to aviation.

7f5a7539.jpg

Some models just feel right and i was delighted to find that this is just one of them. Just a couple of clicks of down elevator and aileron had her flying straight and level and just feel very locked in

7f5a7571.jpg

Capable of all the basic aerobatics and infact probably aided by the deep fuselage produce quite an impressive slow roll showing good rudder authority and pitch control. The old OS70 Surpass has ample power to spare and large loops and steep climbs were easy, although i found myself playing touch a goes quite quickly.

7f5a7582.jpg

7f5a7642.jpg

The flight curtailed with a dead stick landing which proved the slow speed and stall design characteristics were also a delight. the only issue and cause of the deadstick was a fractured spring steel retainer on the needle valve failure that had allowed the needle to vibrate loose and fall out which curtailed flying. A shame to get just the one flight but was an absolute delight. chuffed with this one and will be one of my favorites i think.

Lindsay

john stones 111/07/2020 22:23:54
11597 forum posts
1517 photos

Looks great Linds. yes

J D 811/07/2020 22:34:43
1525 forum posts
84 photos

It just looks the part.yes

Lindsay Todd12/07/2020 12:55:36
1746 forum posts
1811 photos

many thanks guys, just need to track down a replacement OS70 Surpass needle now, i have spares of a lot of things but not one of these, either that or out with a metal detector although i think i have more chance of finding another saxon gold hawd rather than my missing needle valve. Linds

Lindsay Todd16/07/2020 12:56:52
1746 forum posts
1811 photos

New needle valve sorted from Just Engines, great service, ordered about midday and arrived next day so already installed and looking forward to flying again soon so i guess for the moment this brings this design to a close, plan will be submitted to the mag. Something a bit different next time i think. Linds

Stephen Jones17/07/2020 00:19:28
2855 forum posts
1618 photos

Congratulations on a successful maiden .

Looks the part.

Steve

Nigel Grant 117/07/2020 10:05:11
70 forum posts
11 photos

Great looking model. Hope it gets into the mag soon though they take a while to arrive down here in NZ. Will you post some more photos and comments after your next flight session?

Lindsay Todd17/07/2020 18:10:26
1746 forum posts
1811 photos

Thanks guys, plan already with the ed although i suspect any publication would be towards the end of the year earliest i would think. Will get some more pics and video next time out.

rusty.jpg

Linds

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!