By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Building Real Aeroplanes in America 1918.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Davis28/05/2020 18:52:55
3757 forum posts
718 photos

Some of you may be interested in this film about making aircraft in the USA in 1918. It's a silent film with a musical soundtrack superimposed. I didn't care for the music myself so muted it! Most of it deals with the construction of the Liberty engined De Havilland 4 but later on some other types are flimed. It shows just how much labour went into the building of those old aeroplanes.

**LINK**

kc29/05/2020 12:49:29
6514 forum posts
173 photos

Great bit of film and not spoilt by modern blurred arty effects which so often ruin classic documentaries.

Almost everything moved around by men - Mandraulic as Fred Dibnah said.

Interesting to see all those women using Yankee screwdrivers at that early date. ( People will remember 1960's TV DIY with Barry Bucknell using one of those. Now outdated by cordless! )

Most amazing of all was the prop shaping especially the man holding a huge prop against a spindle moulder with no guard. Health & Safety may be a little over the top sometimes now but this shows how necessary it is.

Edited By kc on 29/05/2020 12:54:14

Cuban829/05/2020 13:03:42
2959 forum posts
1 photos

Barry Bucknell! Remember watching him when I was a kid. I think some wag said back in the day that "Mr Bucknell was possibly responsible for more damage to the housing stock than the Luftwaffe". wink

Andy Stephenson29/05/2020 14:41:38
169 forum posts
28 photos

Barry Bucknell, I remember him when he used to nail a sheet of hardboard over a panelled door to make it look more modern. Decades later people were de-bucknellising their houses by taking the hardboard off everything it had been nailed to in the 60s. I remember one show when he made an indoor wall mounted flowerpot holder by bending a piece of balsa wood.

A.

Alan Hilton29/05/2020 17:45:15
128 forum posts

My dad was a joiner ,he used to laugh himself to tears when Barry Bucknell came on the tv

Alan

Ernie30/05/2020 16:41:30
2530 forum posts
21 photos

FORMIDABLE M david, Its just a great big model

ernie

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!