By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Different shades of white, Oracover (Profilm)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
martin collins 128/05/2020 21:47:22
421 forum posts
199 photos

Trying to get my 1/4 scale Cassutt finished, finally got my new roll of covering yesterday having waited over two weeks for it and it is the wrong shade of white...........ARRRGGGHHHH!

I know they do three different shades, i had an old part roll here plus one i got from my local shop which matched, it was their last roll and they are now on lockdown. I have covered the wing and tailplane with the original stuff and started on the fin tonight with the new roll but where it butts up to the tailplane it is obviously a much brighter white. The new white is the standard Oracover white, they also do a Pearl white and a scale white, i am sending samples of my two different ones to the shop in the hope they can get a better match..................M

martin collins 129/05/2020 05:42:51
421 forum posts
199 photos

I have managed to retrieve the plastic covering and labels from both rolls of film by digging in my hobby room bin and it appears that they are both the standard Profilm White number 10. That is disappointing as it means i am stuck with the issue, has anyone else had different shades on two rolls of the same material? I know house paint and wallpaper can vary from batch different batches. I will have to move the stripe that was going to go down the side so that it runs between where the two different shades meet..........

Chris Walby29/05/2020 07:55:33
1246 forum posts
308 photos

Sorry to hear of your problem and I have never really thought about it, but guess that's why people say always buy wall paper with the same batch number as things do vary. I buy film in one go as it might not be available in the future...

Unfortunate that you covered with the old film before obtaining the new covering, certainly has me thinking of checking all the rolls before starting covering just in case an odd roll has slipped in (I have some rolls of green that is the same manufacturer and colour, but from different outlets and years apart).

Most people would not even notice although its no consolation as you know its different and every time you look at it there will be a reminder.

Geoff S29/05/2020 21:26:04
3666 forum posts
26 photos

I covered my quarter scale Mew Gull in red (I didn't re-create the white Alex Henshaw Gull G-AEXF but the red reproduction G-HEXL just to be perverse) and a later batch of HK film is definitely a different shade which annoyed me at the time but which I'd forgotten about until your post reminded me. You'll get over it

Yellow is even worse in my experience. It goes from golden to lemon so care is needed.

Geoff

martin collins 129/05/2020 22:05:32
421 forum posts
199 photos

As you say, annoying but i was going to put a different coloured stripe down the side, i will just make it a divider between the tailplane and the fin which is the only point where the two shades would meet.............

Tim Flyer29/05/2020 23:15:56
1290 forum posts
236 photos

Martin I know exactly how you feel . I covered my Chipmunk in Oracover Red . They do lots of reds too! The most annoying thing was trying to buy Oracover matching  Red paint . Of course Oracover list it but supplies are not to be found anywhere even directly from Oracover themselves. When I painted the cowl I had to use spray from the local hardware store for best “match “ .

Edited By Tim Flyer on 29/05/2020 23:16:30

Geoff S29/05/2020 23:43:03
3666 forum posts
26 photos

B&Q will match any colour with Valspar water-based paint. It's not perfect but better than most. Not sure if Valspar is fuel proof because I only build electrically powered models these days. It certainly sprays OK - at least with my very inexpensive single action Badger which cost around £12 about 20 years ago.

Geoff

Ron Gray30/05/2020 06:45:24
2183 forum posts
942 photos

Not quite any colour, I tried various stores to get some American WW2 dark blue to match that on my Bearcat and they couldn’t do it.

On the different coloured film, sunlight can have an effect, so older rolls may have faded.

Edited By Ron Gray on 30/05/2020 06:46:45

Tim Flyer31/05/2020 19:00:00
1290 forum posts
236 photos

I did want Oracover paint as it is fuel proof but a number of the colours ( like red) seem to be permanently out of stock .

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!