Forum sponsored by CML

Electric or not?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Roger Dyke04/06/2020 13:19:00
306 forum posts
14 photos

Cuban8 and Capt Kremen,

All good stuff this. Thanks for your replies. Contents noted.

Nigel R04/06/2020 13:56:37
3916 forum posts
678 photos

I have a fair sized pile of old IC props in the 7 to 11 inch range. Most of them are the grey Graupner Super Nylon type. They seem to work perfectly well for my needs.

They were reasonably good back in the day, the wide tip is a bit noisy - less issue on electics - and that seems the main difference to the APC shaped props common now.

Steve J04/06/2020 14:00:43
1907 forum posts
54 photos
Posted by Capt Kremen on 04/06/2020 10:39:18:

... Aeronaut fixed props ...

I would also recommend aeronaut props.

Richard Clark 204/06/2020 15:22:38
277 forum posts
Posted by Cuban8 on 04/06/2020 10:07:31:
Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 04/06/2020 08:04:02:

The carefully measured results I got using a wattmeter, tacho, and spring 'fishing' balance to measure thrust on a string tied around the tail with the various plane's wheels on the (smooth concrete) ground the black 'IC' Master props certainly surprised me.

I did the same experiment some time ago comparing (IC props) a black Master Airscrew with the equivalent APC on a model with a .91 fourstroke. I don't recall the exact details, but it did put me off the Master Airscrews as IIRC, my test piece's static thrust was down by 10% compared to the same size APC. About a pound of static thrust lost. Master Airscrews are OK, but not the most efficient if you're looking for top performance, normally fine for sport flying and they tend not break so much in an 'arrival'.

I always choose the geniune APC electric props for 'leccy.

Edited By Cuban8 on 04/06/2020 10:09:04

I suspect but do not know that most of it is down to the varying efficiency of different brushless motors over their acceptable load, rpm range, number of cells and radiated heat.

This it very important on EDFs but few bother to check it all out on prop planes - if the motor remains 'not too hot' on an extended full power test we tend to leave it at that. We have no way of determining the actual shaft power absorbed by the prop as compared to the input wattage.

Nevertheless I will buy and try a few of the APC electric props when my local model shop reopens.

Bruce Collinson04/06/2020 17:46:17
535 forum posts

Agree with Capt. K re hubs on electric APC props, perhaps more so than their IC props. V. interesting re Aeronaut, never tried one. 4Max wooden electric seem good but only on a rather unscientific basis, and they are more fragile than APC.

BTC

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!