Forum sponsored by CML

cnc/laser cutting ally or carbon

Where?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gary Murphy 106/06/2020 13:12:22
423 forum posts
19 photos

I would like some 1.5mm/2mm ally or carbon parts cut.To intricate to do by hand.

I know both can be cnc but not sure about laser.

Can find balsa and ply etc cutters here but not for other stuff

Can anyone give a pointer to a place that can do 1 or either?

Barrie Lever06/06/2020 13:46:15
233 forum posts
46 photos

Gary

Some the most powerful Co2 lasers (these are the type most models parts are cut with) will get through thin metal, Boxford certainly advertise these, but metal is really the domain of fibre lasers which carry a hefty price tag.

You will struggle to find someone to laser cut carbon fibre, the fibres come up out of the material and are horrible.

Both the materials that you wish to cut would be much better handled in a CNC router and the finish would be noticeably better.

I do this stuff as a day job so have first hand experience.

Post some pictures of what you want to cut.

Regards

Barrie

Denis Watkins06/06/2020 14:09:14
4422 forum posts
112 photos

If it is just a small number Gary, then a piercing saw is very economical cutting for Smallwork.

At the other end of the spectrum, carbon fibre crash helmets are cut using ultra high pressure waterjet, just out of our league.

With aluminium, you can often find suitable shapes to reform, from the 1/10th RC car suspension listings

Edited By Denis Watkins on 06/06/2020 14:09:51

Barrie Lever06/06/2020 14:32:12
233 forum posts
46 photos

Gary

A couple of examples of CNC routed model aircraft parts and a Youtube link to 24 year old hobby CNC machine cutting another model aircraft parts.

I have laser cutting capability in my home workshop along with CNC routing and milling, for model parts I prefer CNC routing in most cases.

I don't like water jet cutting as it can have a traumatic effect on the fibres on the underside of the sheet, it is good for cutting armoured steel though !!

Barrie

Boxford Co2 metal cutting laser

https://90c16c68-0d46-43c6-a188-29ebd18ff896.filesusr.com/ugd/256403_f259bcf9ce3b468e83af76de70acc49c.pdf

Hobby CNC router cutting 3mm carbon fibre

**LINK**

dsc_0532.jpg

dsc_0534.jpg

Edited By Barrie Lever on 06/06/2020 14:34:43

Gary Murphy 107/06/2020 12:32:14
423 forum posts
19 photos

Hi Barrie,thanks for the info. That milling on the carbon plate is mega.

I will try to get some pics of the part I would like to get. I am going to swear now and say it for a RC "car", sorry about that.

The parts are to sandwich a plastic suspension arm.

You can buy the parts BUT as usual parts are never in stock and no expected date. It might be a case that having parts made is way more expensive but was curious to find out. Ally or carbon would both be strong enough and prob go for cheapest.

Gary Murphy 107/06/2020 12:42:08
423 forum posts
19 photos

Hi Barrie, To give a idea of size the bolts are m3x15,its just a idea of shape etc. I might even be able to get away without the cutouts,just have the holes.

I will need 8 of each so cutting by hand would be a long and not tidy job!ax31244.jpg

ax31245.jpg

Barrie Lever07/06/2020 13:13:29
233 forum posts
46 photos

Gary

They are not tricky parts to machine in either material.

More expensive to buy the carbon fibre but easier to machine, vice versa for aluminium.

So 32 pieces in total?

Do you have CAD for the parts?

Check up the price of carbon at the following link.

**LINK**

We maybe able to do something for you.

Regards

Barrie

Gary Murphy 107/06/2020 13:53:52
423 forum posts
19 photos

Hi Barrie, Thanks for the help.

No CAD, if was able to find a place I was going to see if it was possible to draw the shape of the part full size.

Was surprised by the availability of carbon,in the link.

If you able to help would you rather me PM you? Or continue here?

I can check the thickness needed also, could be 1mm to 2mm until I check. Can I ask if you think ally or carbon of the same thickness will be best for a off road vehicle,needs to be strong but have some flex,prob more flex than would be better.

Barrie Lever07/06/2020 15:38:13
233 forum posts
46 photos

Gary

I prefer to keep the post out in the open just so as that we share information and other forum members can see what is going on and maybe it helps with their projects, we will just talk commercial behind closed doors !!

Carbon and aluminium are two very different materials.

Carbon fibre tends to fail catastrophically, think what a big formula 1 crash looks like, that does not mean that carbon is not tough or strong, just that when it gets to the point of failure it goes with a big bang.

Aluminium just stretches when it gets to a certain yield point, think of an alloy UC on a sport RC model, they just bend out of shape.

Difficult to say in your application but I would probably plump for carbon, are you going to bond the plates to the other part? if so you only need the single sided finish material which is probably cheaper.

The CAD is no real problem to do.

Regards

Barrie

Denis Watkins07/06/2020 17:12:26
4422 forum posts
112 photos

Thanks for staying Barrie

Materials knowledge is very interesting and useful for builders

Gary Murphy 107/06/2020 19:42:58
423 forum posts
19 photos

Barrie, The parts will sandwich a plastic part and are held together with four m3 bolts OR three m2.5 bolts. The parts need to be 2mm

So one side is only on view. I need 2 types and 8 of each ,so 16 in total.

One part was easy to trace around, The other I could not trace so took ages to draw. I do not know if this is the correct method but I have scaned the drawing and put a ruler for scale in case my printer does not scan at 1.1

Would you like to see the drawing to see what you think? If so what is the best way to send? I am checking the posts as quick as I can so forgive any delay Barrie,many thanks for the time.

Barrie Lever07/06/2020 22:07:02
233 forum posts
46 photos

Gary

I think if you send me the parts I will do a quick drawing of them, we will do a little feature of the project.

I will PM you my address.

Regards

Barrie

Gary Murphy 108/06/2020 12:12:48
423 forum posts
19 photos

After a PM to Barrie this is where we are now.

I am not able to send the parts to Barrie , I spend most weekends at the coast and that's where the model is and I will not be there for several weeks. I was able to draw the shape and make a template before I left thinking that would be ok.

I got home and scanned the drawing to send to Barrie,I used the PM method so the scan was not full size. It was enough for Barrie to say that he could work from the drawing,many thanks.

Barrie did say that the drawing was lacking in details in places.namely hole size and centres. So I will do that and send to Barrie via email so the scan will be full size.

I had a choice of carbon and ally. I think carbon would be the best option BUT ally/metal will look more realistic for the model. Barrie as mentioned difffrent types/grades of ally and will help with that.

I have already used one set ok these genuine parts but there where rubbish, 2mm thick but would bend very very easily. I think the cut outs are in the wrong place OR weaken to much. So I plan to leave solid.

So that's where things are at the moment,Barrie as been great and looking at this as a project while really helping me out.

Will post when there is a update,some might be interested,not in my part but in Barries work.

Gary Murphy 109/06/2020 18:11:01
423 forum posts
19 photos

Little up date, Barrie let me know what details to put on the drawing I had left off on the previous.

Barrie is now doing magic with CAD.

Gary Murphy 110/06/2020 10:34:23
423 forum posts
19 photos

These were the first drawings I made up. The shape is still the same but decided to do away with the cut outs . Think they are there more for show.hjkj 001.jpg

Gary Murphy 104/07/2020 14:48:48
423 forum posts
19 photos

If anyone is still watching or interested here is a update.

Due to the lock down and travel limitations I was not able to show the parts that are weak and need beefing up. I have just hade replacement parts arrive.

The hollow part tends to bend and crease so can not be straightened and the other thiner part is solid and just snaps.

The pictures of the metal braces available to strengthen don't show on the post now for some reason,but these had cutouts which weakened them!

The above post shows the cut outs on one piece. I think going with solid parts will beef them up much more.

dscn1153.jpg

dscn1152.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!