Forum sponsored by CML

62 inch WS RCME plan Spitfire

Power system suggestions, please

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Trevor Crook01/07/2020 22:42:28
988 forum posts
71 photos

Glad it was useful info. Yes, Tony's designs are primarily for ep. This has a couple of advantages for aircraft like the Spitfire - no sticky-out cylinder head or silencer to hide (and keep cool), and, with the appropriate motor, the ability to swing a scale multiblade prop. Mind you, having looked at a couple of projects from Jon of Laser Engines, he's managed to keep the engine bits almost invisible in a slim nose.

Clive Jones 409/07/2020 19:39:54
47 forum posts
11 photos

20200709_193258.jpg

Clive Jones 409/07/2020 19:41:00
47 forum posts
11 photos

Just waiting for the fin epoxy adhesive to dry. She is starting to feel like an aeroplane, lol.

Clive.

Clive Jones 419/07/2020 17:50:19
47 forum posts
11 photos

I have just weighed the airframe and ready to fly she is 7.3 lbs which includes balancing weight but not paint.

I also unintentionally misled you about the whattmeter reading - the readings I posted were with a 15 x 8 prop. I have now fitted a 15x10, so am looking at a bit more power - I shall whattmeter it later.

Things are looking positive!

Clive.

Clive Jones 422/07/2020 19:59:17
47 forum posts
11 photos

Well I did whattmeter her and now with a 15X10 APC"E" I have 1110W at 46A.

Encouraging. thumbs up

I will have to check my calibration settings between the Tx and the ESC as I found that she will go to half throttle stick or so and then top out - i.e. that is full revs.

I have decided that after system checks etc. I will taxi trial her in an unpainted form, possibly go for a maiden if the conditions allow. It will be interesting to see the weight difference unpainted to painted.

Clive Jones 428/07/2020 12:27:06
47 forum posts
11 photos

Well, she flies! Thanks to all that contributed. The power system that you helped me choose, based on your experiences, worked a treat, with no hint of underpowering the Spit at all.

There were a couple if things that were off, I had to use an obscene amount of up trim to fly straight and level. Perhaps a bit of down thrust is needed. Also my retract mountings also require a bit of beefing up.

I only flew for a few circuits before a no dramas landing and that took about 16% out of the battery so I do not think the motor is drawing an excessive amount of amps when airborne.

All in all a positive start - now for the small amount of remedial work and painting her.

👍

Clive.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!