Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Waterslide or vinyl decals?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Geoff S17/06/2020 19:43:10
3701 forum posts
29 photos

I'm about to order some roundels (roundals?) for my 60" DB Pup and have the option of waterslide or vinyl. I've used vinyl before on other projects and whilst they're OK on flat or single curvature surfaces they're not so good on complex curves (like the top of a wing with rib stitches/tape) and tend to crease rather than conform.

Are waterslide better? Are they easy to apply? Do they look better?

Advice welcome on both choice and application.

Geoff

Peter Miller17/06/2020 20:52:17
11221 forum posts
1321 photos
10 articles

It depends onthe surface. Waterslide don't stick to film too well while Vinyl are not so good at sticking to tex type coverings.

If one uses waterslide decals on tex one can buy stuff called microsol which will make them actually sink into the text soit shows through the decal

Danny Fenton17/06/2020 20:56:47
9651 forum posts
4460 photos

And you can gently heat vinyl to shape to the wing contour....But rib stitching may be too far. You may have to paint to keep the detail?

Cheers

Danny

Geoff S17/06/2020 20:59:07
3701 forum posts
29 photos

Thanks, Peter. The decals are to go onto 'tex and I've been reading about microsol but the scale sites on which I've read details are all about small scale plastic kits (some of which are incredibly detailed for such tiny models).

So for 'tex surfaces it seems a combination of microsol and waterslide might work OK. It's just that the plastic modellers seemed to stress the importance of glossy or, at least smooth, surfaces which is exactly what 'tex isn't!

Geoff

Geoff S17/06/2020 21:44:13
3701 forum posts
29 photos
Posted by Danny Fenton on 17/06/2020 20:56:47:

And you can gently heat vinyl to shape to the wing contour....But rib stitching may be too far. You may have to paint to keep the detail?

Cheers

Danny

Unfortunately there's no way my hands are steady enough to paint effective roundels by hand - they just shake too much (it's why I fly using a tray to rest my hands on). It's beginning to look like waterslides together with microsol/microset to help them conform.

The fuselage is almost complete apart from the roundels and cockpit coaming/windscreen; I don't want to mess it up at this stage. The wings are built but uncovered.

Geoff

dirk tinck17/06/2020 23:12:33
644 forum posts
893 photos

Hi Geoff ,the easyest way to paint them is by using paint masks (low tack vinyl)made thesame way as vinyl decals.

Peter Miller18/06/2020 08:10:25
11221 forum posts
1321 photos
10 articles
Posted by Geoff S on 17/06/2020 20:59:07:

Thanks, Peter. The decals are to go onto 'tex and I've been reading about microsol but the scale sites on which I've read details are all about small scale plastic kits (some of which are incredibly detailed for such tiny models).

So for 'tex surfaces it seems a combination of microsol and waterslide might work OK. It's just that the plastic modellers seemed to stress the importance of glossy or, at least smooth, surfaces which is exactly what 'tex isn't!

Geoff

I have actually used Microsol and Microset on Solartex on quite big decals and the decal has settled right down into the weave. It is a long time since I did it but you use to two together, first one and then the other but I can't remember the sequence.

Geoff S18/06/2020 10:48:53
3701 forum posts
29 photos

I'd decided to go for waterslide but the supplier thought that the 10" diameter ones I needed for the wings would be too big and difficult to use successfully so I've ordered vinyl. At least if I make a mistake, vinyl are easier to remove and think again.

Peter, I've been looking at Microsol and Microset use and you use the Microset first and then later the Microsol which allows the slide to conform to a textured surface. However all the videos/descriptions I've seen are for small non-flying plastic models albeit beautifully finished and detailed ones. Non-functional models aren't really my scene and I haven't made one since I was at school 65 years ago!

Thanks for all the advice.

Geoff

Engine Doctor18/06/2020 11:19:18
2538 forum posts
40 photos
Posted by dirk tinck on 17/06/2020 23:12:33:

Hi Geoff ,the easyest way to paint them is by using paint masks (low tack vinyl)made thesame way as vinyl decals.

yes +1 for using masking Masking is good if you want to spray the roundels . Only use fine coats to stop the paint creeping under the masking. You can buy the masking material from Vinyl shops and make you own masks .

I bought a couple of meters of the Decal transfer paper used for applying the decals and cut masks from that . It has a lower tack adhesive than the decals.

Even doing it the old fashioned way with marking out with a compass with a soft pencil very rewarding .

Just fix a small piece of ply to the wing in the center of the roundel wit double sided tape for the compass point .

Some decent brushes an some Humbrol paint and your away. Matt Humbrol is probably better and once dried given a coat of satin clear to blend with the Tex.

leccyflyer18/06/2020 11:38:00
1518 forum posts
327 photos
Posted by Geoff S on 18/06/2020 10:48:53:

I'd decided to go for waterslide but the supplier thought that the 10" diameter ones I needed for the wings would be too big and difficult to use successfully so I've ordered vinyl. At least if I make a mistake, vinyl are easier to remove and think again.

Peter, I've been looking at Microsol and Microset use and you use the Microset first and then later the Microsol which allows the slide to conform to a textured surface. However all the videos/descriptions I've seen are for small non-flying plastic models albeit beautifully finished and detailed ones. Non-functional models aren't really my scene and I haven't made one since I was at school 65 years ago!

Thanks for all the advice.

Geoff

My first thought on reading your OP Geoff was that the roundels on a 60" Pup wing would be very large to do successfully with a waterslide, but I haven't personally used waterslides so big and declined to comment. That's good to know from the manufacturer.

I had the Flair self adhesive roundels on my Puppeteer, but took them off because a. I didn't like the colour of light blue that they had used and b. I didn't like the look of the shiny vinyl. On all the 'tex covered models I've seen a painted finish looks superior. I did consider perhaps a light overspray with a satin varnish on the shiny vinyl might have improved them -perhaps that's something you might consider?

Mind you, that was at least 10 years ago and I still haven't masked up and sprayed the replacement roundels.

Geoff S18/06/2020 11:54:00
3701 forum posts
29 photos

I've spray painted a lot of the model. I'm just not so sure about the roundels, especially as I need an exra thin white outline like the reg number has here:

complete 7.jpg

... and before anyone comments that the kiwi looks more like an overweight penguin than a kiwi, I don't think whoever painted the original in 1917 had ever seen one!

Obviously the big roundels are for the wings (which will be mostly olive drab on top) but there's smaller ones at 4" (100mm) between the stripes and, being blue on blue have a white outline as do the ones on the top wing.

The white is water based Warbirds Colors which I had from another project, the red and blue on the rudder are both water-based Valspar from B&Q. Though not easily visible, the cowl is solvent-based Hobby Flight RAF Roundel Blue (which is almost the same colour as the Corsair Blue Oratex fuselage covering) I got from Kings Lyn Models and sprays OK with my old, cheap, single action Badger airbrush.

Geoff

Frank Skilbeck18/06/2020 12:00:03
4752 forum posts
104 photos

I've made a few waterslide decals on an inkjet printer, my problem is the colour bleed from underneath, so unless the commercial items are a lot better in this respect then you'd need to paint a while roundel where the waterslide decal goes or the finished colour will be disappointing

leccyflyer18/06/2020 12:02:54
1518 forum posts
327 photos

Commercial waterslides are chalk and cheese compared to what an inkjet printer can reproduce Frank. They can be very high quality indeed and certainly no need for painting a white roundel underneath.

leccyflyer18/06/2020 12:04:47
1518 forum posts
327 photos

She's beautiful Geoff - that's a superb colour scheme yes

Geoff S18/06/2020 12:16:23
3701 forum posts
29 photos

Thanks, Leccy. The scheme is a representation of a genuine training Pup. It appealed to me because it's a bit different from the usual drab and means I didn't have to fit a gun which made battery access easier. The model is electrically powered (4s) so fuel proof paint isn't an issue.

Geoff

Frank Skilbeck18/06/2020 13:02:02
4752 forum posts
104 photos
Posted by leccyflyer on 18/06/2020 12:02:54:

Commercial waterslides are chalk and cheese compared to what an inkjet printer can reproduce Frank. They can be very high quality indeed and certainly no need for painting a white roundel underneath.

That's good to know, thanks

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!