Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Chris Foss Xtra Wot

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gary Spicer 102/07/2020 20:38:29
46 forum posts
3 photos

It looks terrific Ron, great colour choice and the your self cut decals really make it! Very well done. (and very quick)

Ron Gray02/07/2020 21:40:22
2235 forum posts
978 photos

Thanks Gary I appreciate your comments. The film cutting using the Cameo really worked out well so I will certainly be doing more that way in the future.

Looking forward to the maiden flight now.

Peter Jenkins03/07/2020 01:03:09
1624 forum posts
305 photos

That is eye catching Ron. Great stuff! +1 for the Maxlocks. You shouldn't have any difficulty telling which way up it is!

Ron Gray03/07/2020 06:29:03
2235 forum posts
978 photos

Thanks Peter, and, yes, the colour scheme was to aid orientation but I also wanted to break up the large areas of black and orange hence the colour reversed lettering. What it will be like in the sky is another question which I should have an answer to In the near future (hopefully).

Bob Cotsford03/07/2020 09:42:36
8646 forum posts
483 photos

Got to say - you can't beat orange and black, can you. That really does look special Ron.thumbs up

What a wonderful idea to give a fuselage only balance point, I'm off to the La7 thread to ask if anyone can chack their completed models without wings!

Is that the Silhouette Cameo cutter? Having spent probably £50 on cut vinyl in the last few months and seeing your results I might keep an eye out on the second hand sales sites.

Ron Gray03/07/2020 10:07:20
2235 forum posts
978 photos

Thanks Bob, give me 30 minutes and I'll balance my LA-7 fuse for you.

Yes the graphics were cut using the Silhouette Cameo cutter, it 'was' the wife's but it's now found its way into my building bits and pieces inventory. I must say that it has completely changed the way I now do things and next up are paint masks (I know a lot of other formulites use it for this as well). In fact I tried out some scale rivets, having just bought some from Mick Reeves, 'designed' them in Fusion 360 and cut them in some vinyl, results are excellent. Having also bought some panel lines from MR I'm now going to do those too, all in preparation for the BF110 build due to start next week.

Edited By Ron Gray on 03/07/2020 10:08:31

Edited By Ron Gray on 03/07/2020 10:11:08

flying pastor03/07/2020 10:15:21
25 forum posts

Ron, that is an excellent looking xtrawot. Super build and finish. Please keep us posted with news of maiden etc.

All the best...Chris.

Ron Gray03/07/2020 10:28:55
2235 forum posts
978 photos

Thanks Chris, will defo keep the thread posted with updates, I've still got some bits to finish off, as said above.

Nigel R03/07/2020 11:27:24
3987 forum posts
722 photos

That's looking brilliant Ron.

I like the double canopy option.

Ron Gray03/07/2020 11:30:14
2235 forum posts
978 photos

@ Bob - roughly 75mm from LE.

@ Nigel - Thanks Nigel, yes, I prefer the 2 seat option plus the black look.

Gary Spicer 103/07/2020 12:00:11
46 forum posts
3 photos

Look forward to the Cameo tutorial on cutting covering film Ronwink Did you cut the letters individually?

Ron Gray03/07/2020 12:06:07
2235 forum posts
978 photos

I’m no expert Gary, but happy to run through what I did, well it worked!

As I only had a 12 x 12” cutting mat I was restricted to cutting within that footprint so it depended upon the letters being cut, eg the W had to be printed on its own whereas R and A could be printed together, obviously I’m referring to the larger letters on the wing. But I’ve now got 12 x 24” cutting mats so have more flexibility to print more in one go.

Gary Spicer 103/07/2020 13:06:30
46 forum posts
3 photos

I dont own a Cameo Ron, but have watched a few UT videos, how did you get the film to stay flat (stick) to the mat whilst it was cutting?

Ron Gray03/07/2020 13:13:58
2235 forum posts
978 photos

The cutting mats have a tacky surface (different levels of stickyness are available) so you just smooth the film out onto the mat and it stays in place. A problem can arise where the film detaches itself from its backing In which case remove the backing first. I tried both ways and didn’t have any problems with either method. In fact the biggest problem was getting the film off the mat, you just need to be careful and have a sharp scalpel to hand to assist!

Gary Spicer 103/07/2020 13:21:30
46 forum posts
3 photos

Got ityes You saved yourself quite a lot of money by producing the graphics yourself, got what you wanted and the satisfaction that you done it!

Ron Gray03/07/2020 13:28:40
2235 forum posts
978 photos

And the fun of doing it. As I said earlier I’m now into rivets and panel lines so that will save time and money. The other thing I want to try is cutting thin aluminium self adhesive foil, if I can do it then the Warbird Replicas Mustang is my ‘target’, not just panel lines but ‘scale’ panels!

Bob Cotsford03/07/2020 14:16:50
8646 forum posts
483 photos
Posted by Ron Gray on 03/07/2020 11:30:14:

@ Bob - roughly 75mm from LE.

@ Nigel - Thanks Nigel, yes, I prefer the 2 seat option plus the black look.

thumbs upThanks Ron.  That would be from the LE of the wing seat?

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 03/07/2020 14:17:35

Ron Gray03/07/2020 14:19:42
2235 forum posts
978 photos

Sorry Bob should have made that clear, yes, from the seat.

Ron Gray03/07/2020 22:29:21
2235 forum posts
978 photos

Last little bits done today, well I say the last but there are bound to be more. Didn't get round to taking the outdoor shots as it started to rain this afternoon and into the evening but there's always tomorrow!

Battery box and platform. I 3D printed the box as the printer could be getting on with that whilst I was doing other bits.

Battery box mounted on ply platform. I may well re-print the box with lightening holes but we'll see how it goes. It's not glued together just screwed to cater for this eventuality.

fullsizeoutput_157b.jpeg

10s 5000's sit in there nice and snug (got to do the retaining strap!)

fullsizeoutput_157c.jpeg

I stuck bearers to the fuse sides and the platform is screwed to them so that it sits, more or less, on top of the wing.

fullsizeoutput_157d.jpeg

Battery box in place.

fullsizeoutput_157e.jpeg

And testing out the insertion of the batteries through where the hatch will be.

fullsizeoutput_157f.jpeg

There's quite a bit of room for the batteries to be moved to achieve the C of G.

fullsizeoutput_1580.jpeg

After I had glued the front deck in place it was time to make up the battery hatch cover. Before gluing in place I covered the fixed formers with some masking tape to prevent accidental glueing taking place!

fullsizeoutput_1581.jpeg

Then I cut out 2 top former pieces onto which the hatch will be stuck and to keep them in place whilst the cover glue dries I hot glued them to the masking tape.

fullsizeoutput_1582.jpeg

The cover was then glued on using Gorilla Glue (brown).

fullsizeoutput_1584.jpeg

The canopy was attached using very small socket head screws. I like the look of the fixings along the edge of the canopy and prefer it to just glueing the canopy in place.

fullsizeoutput_1583.jpeg

Other jobs carried out today have been the soldering of connectors onto the ESC and fitting it to the underside of the engine mounting box together with drilling the firewall for the ESC leads. The cowl has been fitted with its side cheeks, these have been reinforced with balsa base plates which also makes it easier to fit them to the fuse.

Tomorrow should see the hatch finished off, Rx fitted and a BEC installed to power it and the battery restraint straps fitted. And that will be it, all ready for its maiden flight.

Edited By Ron Gray on 03/07/2020 22:30:36

Ron Gray04/07/2020 13:25:29
2235 forum posts
978 photos

IT'S FINISHED!!!!!!

Fitted the velcro restraint straps to etc battery box and then finished off the construction of the access hatch, using a ply tongue for the front edge and a spring latch for the rear.

fullsizeoutput_1585.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1586.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1588.jpeg

And so to the outdoor shots

fullsizeoutput_1589.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_158a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_158b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_158c.jpeg

A couple of shots of the underside but the iPhone has difficulty in rendering true colours when there is a dark background to contend with, the lettering is actually the same orange as the topside of the 'plane, not yellow as it appears to show here!

fullsizeoutput_158d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_158e.jpeg

There still is / are one or 2 jobs to be done, I'm not happy with the spinner as it is a bit too pointy plus could do with being 1/2" smaller diameter, so it's over to the 3D printer and print a new one. I also don't like the 'bandy legged' stance of the UC so may well change that for a more 'straight legged' part.

Hopefully you've enjoyed this build 'blog', I've certainly enjoyed it and thanks to all those who have commented over the last couple fo weeks. Next up the Warbird Replica BF110, but that wont be for a couple of days.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!