Forum sponsored by CML

Advice - A steady hack

Looking for a decent daily - electric with some penetration

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robin Mosedale 111/07/2020 14:53:25
86 forum posts
1 photos

After much thought on the more than generous suggestions here, I came up with 4 alternatives.

One of which had a strong following.

Discussed with very helpful supplier, who reinforced the strong recommendations here.

So ordered, together with all the modifications and ancillaries deemed necessary by experienced users.

£330. Ah well, as long as it lives up.

Arrived last night.

Bruce Collinson11/07/2020 15:20:40
543 forum posts

Robin,

Wot is it?

BTC

Robin Mosedale 111/07/2020 15:29:28
86 forum posts
1 photos

Acro Wot Foam e

6 Channel AS3x rx

APC Prop replacement

Lead weights

Pinned hinges

Nylon Wing Bolts

Robin Mosedale 111/07/2020 17:55:56
86 forum posts
1 photos

Oh and a couple of middle of the road 3S batteries

Robin Mosedale 111/07/2020 19:53:56
86 forum posts
1 photos

And the lot is going straight back on Monday

Denis Watkins11/07/2020 20:33:19
4544 forum posts
123 photos

Robin, explain please.

Robin Mosedale 111/07/2020 21:17:16
86 forum posts
1 photos

It's completely my own fault. I'm more than annoyed with myself. Really annoyed. Nothing to do with the extraordinary generosity of advice here, for which I'm very grateful.

I opened the box lid, took out the fin and tailplane, glanced through the booklet, and packed it up.

I had no inclination to expend any effort on this. That's remarkable from someone who can spend meticulous hundreds of hours designing, manufacturing, constructing and finishing museum quality scale live steam engines (There are examples of mine across three continents). Also some scale A/C in the past.

I was probably reconciled to something like this if it required little if any attention. The costs crept up too.

I should have listened to my inner voice.

"I've stood and stared at CF designs in model shops for ages over the years, decades in fact. For some reason in the end I just walk away. I'm absolutely certain that aerodynamically they are excellent, but I'm equally sure that I'd soon be annoyed with myself for flying one, and just like some 'supposedly' prestigious brand cars that garner huge following, that just fall far short of my personal expectations, I'd be soon doing the equivalent of searching for a tree to crash it into. I'd rather pay a bit more to suit my aesthetics and performance needs."

"I do like a model to look like an aeroplane with reasonable degree of realism."

It looks as though the 'sports' sector of the hobby has become stuck in the '80s. There's not a lot of excuse with today's CAD/CAM and manufacturing. I can't abide anything that is merely functional, RC/full size flying/driving/ anything that isn't aesthetically pleasing, responsive, as well as technically rewarding.

This model aeroplane is a BMW.

Clean sheet, and I'm sure that I'll find a better fitting compromise with something.

Start again Monday, but close to packing up.

Edited By Robin Mosedale 1 on 11/07/2020 21:17:48

Edited By Robin Mosedale 1 on 11/07/2020 21:18:44

Edited By Robin Mosedale 1 on 11/07/2020 21:19:50

kc12/07/2020 01:13:47
6587 forum posts
173 photos

Well it was suggested that you build The Ohmen or Miss Sizzles etc which can be made to look scale like!

Actually the AcroWot foam E looks quite reasonable when constructed and fitted with stickers, but you are right there are people who just want to fly and looks are not important to them.     It's the equivalent of building a beautiful scale live steam loco and using it to pull carriages with full scale 1 to 1 live people with their legs dangling down.  It looks a bit odd to outsiders but the participants find it fun........

Edited By kc on 12/07/2020 01:20:44

Braddock, VC12/07/2020 08:31:02
1655 forum posts
82 photos

On the other hand, I prefer a model plane to look like a model and CF fits the bill exactly. I love Junior 60s. too.

John Stainforth12/07/2020 11:55:00
367 forum posts
64 photos

Robin, I too think 330 pounds is a ridiculous amount to spend on this plane. I have one and I value mine at about 20 quid.

Robin Mosedale 112/07/2020 13:13:52
86 forum posts
1 photos

Kc Said:-

" It's the equivalent of building a beautiful scale live steam loco and using it to pull carriages with full scale 1 to 1 live people with their legs dangling down. It looks a bit odd to outsiders but the participants find it fun........"

Thank you Kc, I've valued your help. However that makes an assumption that that is what I do. It couldn't be further, and agree.

"Actually the AcroWot foam E looks quite reasonable when constructed and fitted with stickers, but you are right there are people who just want to fly and looks are not important to them."

Agreed, its' the best of the CF bunch.

Braddock VC said:-

"On the other hand, I prefer a model plane to look like a model and CF fits the bill exactly. I love Junior 60s. too."

Indeed we all have personal preferences

John Stainforth said:-

"Robin, I too think 330 pounds is a ridiculous amount to spend on this plane. I have one and I value mine at about 20 quid."

Perceived value is a very personal thing. It's not cost, it's whether it gives reward for the expenditure. Disregarding the issue that I feel that CF products are overpriced, that wasn't an issue if it fitted my preferences.

I feel bad enough about this chaps, and be tolerant with me.

I've made some analogies:

I've a BMW, against all the well meaning advice. It's used by my wife as she can't cope with the other cars and fulfils her needs.

The BMW sits next to the Maserati Granturismo and the Spyder.

That's all it does, save for going down the tip occasionally. Sits there unused by me.

It's by no means the most expensive vehicle that I have, but like John said, to me it's worth even less that £20.

There's a huge following for the brand.

In terms of not only aesthetics, but performance, handling, smoothness, refinement, engagement, comfort it just is an anathema, find them crude and in reality about 15 years behind its sisters and less than basic. Driving it for more than 10 minutes incites me to looking for that tree. I've tried to be reconciled. I've tried so called top of the range M series, Sports GT multi turbo, goodness knows what, through middling porridge to dreadful SUV, and to me, they're further away from 'The Ultimate Driving Machine' as you can get.

CF designs just fall into that category. For me, not you.

That's not to say that they are good by someone else's criteria. They don't fit any of my criteria and as a result, a complete waste of money however cheap or expensive they are.. To me. That doesn't mean to you, or anyone who likes that sort of stuff, and that doesn't make your preferences any less than mine.

Over the years I've flown a few different aircraft. I used to fly PA28 Warrior II and still do occasionally. Very sturdy commendable and predictable machine. Compared to the Robin range, be it the DR400's or HR200 the Piper is like driving a bus, with little derived pleasure.

So value is a more than subjective thing, and I for one commend and appreciate that and wouldn't wish to condemn anyone else's.

Kc said:-

"Well it was suggested that you build The Ohmen or Miss Sizzles etc which can be made to look scale like!"

Miss Sizzles isn't published yet unless it has come out in 'August's' RCME. I can't make any value judgement.

'The Ohmen' is still on the list Kc. I'd probably consider it as a winter diversion, if I haven't got anything else interesting to do which is unlikely. Priced up at £250 'on the road' only moderate derived value for a short term 'get in the air' this summer.

Really quite fed up

R

Nigel R13/07/2020 11:11:37
3987 forum posts
722 photos

Not sure how realistic you were expecting the Acrowot to be, but I always had it down as a semi scale Zlin Z-50...

zlin z50

acrowot

YMMV, obviously.

Nigel R13/07/2020 11:15:55
3987 forum posts
722 photos

So, with the fresh start, what are you after, and what is the budget?

Graham Davies 313/07/2020 12:17:06
71 forum posts
44 photos

Robin, very interested to read your considered and intelligent comments regarding perceived value of both cars and, well, pretty much everything else. I fully understand your view of the Wot4, although i have a very old AcroWot and find it reasonably aesthetically pleasing.

Any Of Peter Miller's designs are likely to produce excellent flying models, and all tend to look good. But unless you are a prolific builder, it's a fair point to say that you may well miss much of the summer with a plan built model.

Have you considered one of Richard Will's smaller offerings? I approached Richard with a view to buying one of his 63" Spitfires. These are fully built up, full-fat kits that are intended to produce good flying, but realistic models. He instead advised and provided a 55" Tempest using a foam wing. It's nearly finished and we are almost exactly one month from my first email to Richard. It's taken 2 or 3 weekends to get to the state we are, and I am 2 weekends away from it being ready to fly. It's going to weigh around 5lbs, get about 8mins on a 3000mAh Lipo, and has cost me a total of £200 including buying a load of paint etc.

Graham

tempest 110720-3.jpg

kc13/07/2020 12:33:44
6587 forum posts
173 photos

Miss Sizzles plan is a pull out plan in the July 2020 RCME which is already out and should be in the shops or online sales. The thread for Miss Sizzle ( without the extra 's' ) is on this forum.

if you really want a scale model immediately without any work then there are some people who build models and then sell them. Some build to order.

Robin Mosedale 113/07/2020 12:34:49
86 forum posts
1 photos

Thank you so much Nigel and Graham. I take it Richard Wills is Warbird replicas as nicely described in your other thread.

Open book, but just at the minute I'm about to arrange this bundle to be picked up by courier with the supplier, and will have a chat.

I've redrawn the short list, but stocks are in a poor state in the UK, and I'm looking for a completely minimum effort steed that will either fit fully rigged in the limited carrying capacity of the otherwise enormous Masser or the tiny Spyder, preferably with the roof up, or easily derigged and can withstand multiple assembly.

I may revisit the Sebart Sukhoi 29, but an on the road cost of over £500 pinches the derived marginal return beyond my limit.

Thanks again, chaps,

Chat later when I've had time to think whether to continue.

Robin

Robin Mosedale 129/07/2020 20:04:35
86 forum posts
1 photos

It's always a pleasure when something exceeds expectations by a significant margin

Maiden flight today.

Quite delighted

Pitts S1S

Gavin Mack29/07/2020 20:36:03
91 forum posts
20 photos

Hi Robin

Sorry about this but If that's the fms pitts v2 1400mm then you might want to read the thread on rc groups about a couple of issues.

**LINK**

picture below is of the undercarriage wire which goes through the wheel on my plane. the notch is for a circlip, After a few flights this can break with obvious consequences. I have done the mod suggested on page 14 of thread. Another possible flaw is the wing tube is not long enough hence there might not be enough to support the wing and the end stop in the wing can be missing (not on mine). video on post 99 page 7 of rcgroups thread show this. I replaced the tubing with 10mm carbon tube but it's a tight fit and not easily put in and out. there are also comments about the strength of clevices if repeatably taking them on and off.

axel_1.jpg

Robin Mosedale 129/07/2020 20:41:57
86 forum posts
1 photos

Thank you Gavin.

It's the E-Flite Pitts S1S 850mm bnf. Not the larger one.

One piece wings.

I had read of wheel binding on another site, but that was incorrect factory assembly.

I'll check the referenced thread for the alert on U/C as it's probably similar assembly.

Thanks again

Robin

Robin Mosedale 129/07/2020 20:43:12
86 forum posts
1 photos

Oh, and replaced clevices already. They're too weak.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!