By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

How are you buying your modeling stuff in 2020

As there are no shows and restrictions in model shops.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul Marsh21/06/2020 16:00:47
4088 forum posts
1231 photos

I want to run a poll to see how people are buying modeling items in 2020. As there are no shows and model shops are using social distancing, although open are not the once aladdin caves , so the options are:

• Buying from model shop direct;
  • Buying from a model shop online;
  • Buying from internet only vendor (eg, Hobbyking; Banggood, etc)
  • Buying from classifieds , eg. BMFA, Facebook
  • Buying from club members;
  • Buying from eBay/Gumtree.
Steven S21/06/2020 16:26:51
369 forum posts
193 photos

We have 2 model shops in town, one allows 6 customers at a time and the other takes phone or internet orders and has curbside service. I have been using both shops to pick up my supplies.

Doctor Chinnery21/06/2020 16:34:59
53 forum posts

So far a Galaxy Wasp kit from Pegasus Models via their website and a pre-loved Scorpion from a fellow CMFC member (via BMFA Classifieds). So far I have always been happy with transactions via BMFA and club members, and obviously you are very unlikely to be stitched up in either case. With Pegasus/Galaxy you won't be disappointed - strong Trad' British kits that do what it says on the tin.

J D 821/06/2020 16:36:23
1571 forum posts
85 photos

As I live at the edge of the world,winkThe same as 2019, model shop on line or the flea bay.

Bob Cotsford21/06/2020 16:41:41
8739 forum posts
487 photos

Options 2, 3, 4 and 6 so far this year. MSL, Pegasus, KLM, Nexus, Banggood, classifieds and ebay and of course the very excellent T9Hobbysports.

Robert Parker21/06/2020 17:04:01
994 forum posts
1342 photos

Online shops and e-bay for me. No change really, same as JD

Richard Clark 221/06/2020 17:23:55
426 forum posts
Posted by Paul Marsh on 21/06/2020 16:00:47:

I want to run a poll to see how people are buying modeling items in 2020. As there are no shows and model shops are using social distancing, although open are not the once aladdin caves , so the options are:

I live near Southampton, which is a town of about 300,000 people. It used to have about six model shops but over the years all of them have closed.

Now I mostly use Sussex Model Centre over the internet but of course doing that you can't 'browse', even if 'The Virus' didn't exist.

I also use Spire Models near Salisbury quite frequently. He has no internet presence, but very extensive stock, often of unusual and interesting things from Europe, But he is currently closed due to 'The Virus' (yawn). For the last few years he is only open three days a week. And apparently he doesn't need the money so I have no idea whether he will reopen or not.

I've never used HobbyKing, Banggood, eBay or anything similar, nor have I ever bought anything via the BMFA, fellow club members, or social media.

leccyflyer21/06/2020 17:26:00
1552 forum posts
328 photos
Posted by Paul Marsh on 21/06/2020 16:00:47:

All of the above, except the first one.no local model shops open here.

ken anderson.21/06/2020 17:53:57
8741 forum posts
808 photos

apart from 5 min epoxy and super glue...….the rest is now totally on-line,we have no more model shops where i'm located.....its a bit of a bummer for any new person who wants to take the "hobby" up …… but if there are no shops selling modelling stuff what can you do?....RIP modelling as we all knew it.....will it survive/carry on...…..to be honest I don't see how...most of the youngins aren't bothered about building and flying a model aircraft. The majority who do our hobby are older....and like it or lump it that's it, present day...…. we're doomed to quote old frazer…...shrinking hobbyist's=shrinking hobby shops=minority interest....hope that all comes over as I see it...

ken Anderson….. ne...1 as I see it dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 21/06/2020 17:54:51

cymaz21/06/2020 18:53:39
9316 forum posts
1211 photos

I will shop anywhere to get a good deal, good service and value for money.

Went looking for a Vauxhall Zafira.....eventually bought a C4 Grand Picasso. Cheaper, newer, nicer dealer, bigger inside, cheaper to run. Went and did a 160 mile round trip for it......nothing in Deepest Cornwall.

Apologies for getting side tracked.

Edited By cymaz on 21/06/2020 18:54:17

Test Pilot21/06/2020 19:14:32
13 forum posts

The hobbyking/internet effect - also known as local model shops closing.

The constant search for the cheapest price. The local shop may be a few quid dearer for that kit or radio, but he has rent and rates etc to pay. Those that buy all the big ticket items at the cheapest price on line shouldn't be surprised when the local shop they only used in emergency for a pack of hinges or pot of glue closes because he can't make a living anymore.

I'd honestly pay an extra few quid for a kit and support the guy who gives his time freely to help solve problems, and I do so quite regularly. How the local shopkeeper keeps his cool with people bringing him stuff they've bought from Bangood or Hobbyking asking for his knowledge and experience (free of charge of course) to solve their problems is more than I'd do. I'd tell them to ask hobby king for help and see how they get on.

Support your local shop or lose it. I had enough wood and other bits, all bought locally to keep me going through lockdown. Will stock up from the local shop when I need more. Hope he survives, he deserves to.

Richard Acland21/06/2020 19:44:11
130 forum posts
70 photos

I am buying everything online from UK model shops. Too many to mention. I bought a lot of stuff from Hobbyking in the past. Recently tried to buy some servos and they had hardly any thing from their vast range available. I decided that it would be best to support UK only model companies. Fortunately most of them seem very busy. The only down side is carriage costs which to me seem to be a bit of a rip off.

paul d21/06/2020 20:13:12
203 forum posts
26 photos

I'm with Test pilot, use em or lose em! I haven't needed much lately but the bits I did need I got from my local model shop ( addlestone models).

Michael Kulagin21/06/2020 20:14:49
13 forum posts

I've been quite fortunate with shopping. George at 4-Max is only a short bike ride away so is my first port of call for bits & bobs, just don't know how the Acro-Wot kit slipped in! Collection system agreed with George. Steve Webb for covering film and Sussex Models for the bits I can't get from George. Tinternet shopping involved there. At long last Andover Models are open again and no need for social distancing. With all the stock Nev has upstairs there is only room for one at a time.

Ray Wood 421/06/2020 20:44:27
226 forum posts
44 photos

By phone ordered, TJD models at Dartford & SLEC, Poundland epoxy & superglue 😄

Regards Ray

Skippers Walker21/06/2020 20:56:13
69 forum posts
19 photos

Hi Paul

I live close to Romney Marsh in Kent and the nearest model shop is at least an hour plus drive away!

Almost all of my most recent purchases have been from trawling the net for advice and best prices. I have used Hobbyking a few times and Bangood on two occasions in the recent past. I do find that most hobby shops are very helpful but today's delivery costs can been quite alarming at times! e.g £3.99 for small items costing much the same figure.

SW

Test Pilot21/06/2020 22:05:10
13 forum posts

There are occasions where my local shop can't supply what I want. Case in point is SIG koverall, which it seems only Pegasus can supply (Sussex occasionally). I usually make up my order to the point where P&P is a small percentage of the order value, or even free. There's always stuff I can buy and put on the shelf to use at a later date.

Royal Mail prices aren't subsidised like postal services in China, and the staff preparing my order, packing it and taking it to the post office are entitled to earn a realistic wage. I know my local guy will go to the post office and queue if necessary to get a single package in the post that day to give his customers a decent service. He deserves to be paid for his time, but I 'd bet his charges for P&P don't get anywhere near covering it unless he's got lots of orders to send. A single one certainly won't but being the decent chap he is, he wouldn't hold on to it until he's got others to send.

My order of preferred supplier is

1. Local

2. UK Proper shop (read Sussex, Pegasus, TJD etc)

3. Only if something is unique to Far East suppliers and totally unavailable via UK outlets - China

I understand the model trade has been busy with mail order during this lockdown period, lets all remember how they served us well and continue to support them as things gradually return to normal. If we don't there will be a few more to add to the inevitably massive unemployment numbers that this country is going to have after this pandemic is behind us.

Use it or lose it.

cymaz21/06/2020 22:28:34
9316 forum posts
1211 photos

Well said TP

Murat Kece 121/06/2020 22:33:24
33 forum posts
35 photos

The nearest shop to Aberdeen is in Edinburgh. I have no choice than than the Internet/online.. I have been buying from SLEC, Sussex, Leeds, Nexus, Pegasus, Steve Webb and also fair bit of Amazon- some China unavoidably. I agree we need to protect the UK economy even though a lot of the stuff we buy from local shops are coming from Far East too.

The service from the shops have been excellent.. Let's support them to sustain this..

Test Pilot21/06/2020 23:21:29
13 forum posts
Posted by cymaz on 21/06/2020 22:28:34:

Well said TP

Thanks Cymaz.

The hobby seems to be most buoyant where there is a shop to create interest, we really can't afford to lose any more to the Chinese bargain basement sellers.

I miss being able to go to a model shop in virtually any town I visit, like it was back in the day.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!