Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Does anyone remember...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David perry 130/06/2020 23:33:31
1055 forum posts
13 photos

Indeed they could be a pig. Mine was red too so presumably a Super!it never flew though and was a pig to start. I think the only dieawls ive ever succceeded with were PAW.

The merlin did xonvert me to glow engines and if i close my eyes i can still smell the little .19 glow i had. Eventually built a Taurus trainer. I was about 13 and it would be another 10 years before i learnt to fly rc properly on a super sixty.

Martin Harris01/07/2020 01:06:35
9351 forum posts
252 photos

I remember the hours winding the quickstart spring on my Merlin in my dad's garage hoping for more than a short lived brrrrpp until I discarded the quickstart and learnt the art of flicking repeatedly and quickly to get enough heat into the engine. I didn't mind too much as the hard work was accompanied by that wonderful aroma of ether, castor and paraffin.

Flick forward [ouch] more than 40 years and I built a Phantom Mite from a downloaded plan around a Merlin that was given to me by a work colleague and I was amazed by how easily it started and ran. The only problem was getting a little dizzy after a few circuits - I'm sure that never happened back in the day!

Braddock, VC01/07/2020 08:40:16
1655 forum posts
82 photos

I remember Bud Morgans, it was an extended trip for me from the western valleys, train to newport, then change to the express to cardiff and a walk to the castle arcade. I went there several times to buy glow fuel for my B class racer and also bought an enya 15d in the late 50s that was very short lived following a line cut in combat.

I also remember a model shop in either Paignton or Torquay that displayed (for several years) an uncovered KK Scout biplane (I think I'm pretty sure that's what it was) in the window in the early 50s, started me on a love affair with bipes. Funny how I'm so useless at flying them.

brokenenglish01/07/2020 08:50:43
572 forum posts
30 photos

My first engine came from Bud Morgan. A Frog 150, bought by post in 1951.

Later (early sixties), I was lucky enough to live fairly close to Cutriss's Model Shop in Doncaster. Probably the best model shop I've ever seen.

mal brewer01/07/2020 10:10:25
316 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Braddock, VC on 01/07/2020 08:40:16:

I remember Bud Morgans, it was an extended trip for me from the western valleys, train to newport, then change to the express to cardiff and a walk to the castle arcade. I went there several times to buy glow fuel for my B class racer and also bought an enya 15d in the late 50s that was very short lived following a line cut in combat.

I also remember a model shop in either Paignton or Torquay that displayed (for several years) an uncovered KK Scout biplane (I think I'm pretty sure that's what it was) in the window in the early 50s, started me on a love affair with bipes. Funny how I'm so useless at flying them.

Hi Braddock, I mentioned the two model shops in Torquay in an earlier post. They were both in Union Street, one was down towards the town centre,and I seem to recall it was more of a toyshop that also sold model aircraft. The other shop was a little out of the town centre, past the town hall and up a climb for about half a mile or so. It was almost opposite a small church or chapel, and it was a proper model shop.Can't remember the names of these shops,I was very young then,and as you say, this was in the early '50's. Don't remember a KK scout. Do either of these shops ring a bell for you,could they be the one's you remember ?..................Mal

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!