Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Diacov - any user comments?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Neil James29/06/2020 13:54:34
51 forum posts
22 photos

I’m just starting on a 100” Minimoa kit and I’ve been looking around for covering materials as the 10m roll of antique solartex I’ve had in stock for the last 25 years turns out to be the end of a roll with adhesive only on the first metre!

I’ve seen that Sarik hobbies are selling Diacov, mentioned as a good replacement for natural solartex and I wondered if anyone has used it yet and would like to comment. It’s certainly cheaper than Oratex but I’ve never used that either so how do they compare?

flight129/06/2020 21:50:20
736 forum posts
37 photos

well i have used diatex 1000 (which is the original non glue backed version) and I found it to be very good and was podering on getting the dicov to try myself, the diatex is defently more stable than solartex and lighter if painting too.

Frank Skilbeck30/06/2020 08:21:00
4749 forum posts
104 photos

It's been used by the large scale glider guys for a few years. We've covered a couple of large scale gliders with Diacov and it's great, easy to apply, we were buying it from France. One of the Sarik guys has covered his 1/4 scale Cub in Diacov and pushed the management to stock it.....................................

BTW note that Diacov supplied width is wider than regular Solartex/Oratex rolls.

Can't comment on how it compares to Oratex as I've never used that, but it does seem a bit easier to use than Solartex, just not available coloured.

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 30/06/2020 08:23:04

martin collins 130/06/2020 09:46:24
429 forum posts
199 photos

I was going to try Polyspan sold by free flight supplies, anyone use that and can compare with Diacov?

Frank Skilbeck30/06/2020 18:19:02
4749 forum posts
104 photos

Looks like Polyspan is a light weight material sold as a replacement for tissue, Diacov is basically a lighter weight version of full sized aircraft covering, more than twice the weight of the heavy weight Polyspan. So depends what you are building, if it's a lightweight model then Polyspan looks a good choice, but for larger heavier models then Oratex or Diacov is probably a better choice.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!