Forum sponsored by CML

Another lockdown project - micro FHSS transmitter

How small?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Phil Green02/07/2020 13:21:10
1616 forum posts
343 photos

Heres another lockdown project, just for fun.
So how small can a useful homebrew R/C transmitter be?

It does have all the facilities of the 7c+sc encoder including reversing, minute-minder, inactivity alarm, mixers including the S/C mix, etc... but of course these are mostly not wired
wink

It uses my own FHSS code on the NRF24L01 and the 'stick' is a proportional 2-axis unit from a PSP gamepad - it has poor centring so its programmed with a narrow 'dead band' at neutral which is not noticeable in use but gives accurate centring. The on/off switch is one segment of a DIPswitch. You've probably guessed whats inside!

img_5562[1].jpg

img_20200701_224434_759.jpg

img_5556[1].jpg

Inside its quite cramped, most of the 'stick' is inside the case and next to it is a 100mAh lipo cell. Mounted in the other case half is of course (you guessed!) a Keywish RF-Nano. The case is made from half a Poundland LED pocket torch, the two-AAA's battery-holder half:

img_20200701_223657_199.jpg

Heres the 'stick': proportional micro-stick unit

img_20200701_222921.jpg

img_20200701_223107_526.jpg

stick.jpg

Also available on ebay: **LINK**

The tranny runs the same FHSS code with a deliberately common guid & hopping scheme so I can use any of my homebrew trannies with any of my models.
Its not yet flown but I will! with the ease of swapping transmitters in-flight it would be rude not to... wink 2

Whilst its not a serious project, just lockdown entertainment, it does work well and has about 50 yards range with the homebrew rxs smiley
Might suit a 'Footy' yacht or a model rock-crawler?  or perfect for an indoor flyer!

Many more lockdown projects and more nrf stuff over on mode-zero

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 02/07/2020 13:32:52

Bob Cotsford02/07/2020 15:24:35
8646 forum posts
483 photos

What, couldn't you squeeze in a throttlesurprise? Absolutely brilliant Phillaughthumbs up

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!