Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Laser Engines development.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Engine Doctor08/07/2020 11:55:34
2533 forum posts
39 photos

How about " Laser Light 5 Fuel" Or "Laser Spec 5 Fuel" I agree with Cuban8 that having Low Oil in the fuels name will frighten off the modelers who dont understand how it works and will give fuel to the castor brigade who will start their "Fire and Brimstone " rhetoric again .

Jon - Laser Engines08/07/2020 13:25:38
5560 forum posts
270 photos

Gents, while i agree with the comments about frightening folk off with a name and appreciate the interest in our new fuel/its marketing materials that is not the focus of this thread.

If we could bring it back to testing of the petrol and other new engines that would be great

Robert Welford08/07/2020 13:45:13
205 forum posts
4 photos

Jon, as you know I'm a user of your engines so I would be interested in "beta" testing new engines.

I have a Toni Clark Sopwith Pup to build so a 60cc multi-cylinder that is capable of swinging a large diameter prop would be of interest. Shorter term I have a airframes that could be used for testing new design engines.

Robert

Jon - Laser Engines08/07/2020 13:48:15
5560 forum posts
270 photos

Thanks Robert

None of the engines in this round will suit a pup as they are all aimed at aircraft powered by inline engines and are the wrong shape. Again as i mentioned before, these are prototypes so dont put them in anything you are not prepared to loose in a dead stick should one happen.

If you have something you dont mind hacking about to suit just so they fly that would be ace.

Vince Findlay09/07/2020 03:19:28
8 forum posts
4 photos

Jon, How about an in-line twin for a start but offset the cylinders for cooling purposes and the noise from the off firing cylinders should be great?.. I’ve realised... As a machinist this completely would change the current use of valve gear for both singles and twins. How about putting the a substantial Cam on the side of the engine and using that to drive the propeller..Also giving you 2 to 1 reduction?.. I’m sure you could easily make it a triple set up? Using your 80 bore and stroke? But using your 120–180 size fins in that set up would be Awesome! As a machinist I know it’s very important to keep the parts count down for profitability....And reliability... Just my few penny’s worth.... Getting back to reduction drive, Would it require the same hand props? If geared, Would we have lubricate the gears with grease now and again? (For most model flying I know a coating of Molikote Would be more than enough)

Ath Vince

Tony Richardson09/07/2020 04:19:15
644 forum posts
25 photos

Jon as I have previously stated I would be more than willing to test a gas /petrol engine in the 30cc range, I know it may be an issue me being on the west coast of Canada but that is for you to decide.

I have an 80" span Citabria Pro bumbling around on an 18x10 prop driven by a Super Tigre 3000 it is not by any means new and would take very little time to convert to gas, the decision is entirely yours of course but i"m willing and able

Tony>>>>>

Jon - Laser Engines09/07/2020 08:08:08
5560 forum posts
270 photos

Vince, thanks for the input but the overall configuration of the engines has already been set. I just have to build it.

Tony, im sure i can get a 180 petrol over to you with the next batch. Not used an 18x10 on it before but i would expect high 6 to low 7000's? something like that. That said on a citabria i would use probably an 18x8, 19x6? perhaps 19x8.

Manish Chandrayan09/07/2020 08:35:55
645 forum posts
73 photos

Jon,

I would suggest prioritize the 180 petrol development over others. The market has been waiting for a petrol product from the Laser stable.

That inline, the one that you mentioned in earlier posts should be interestingyes

Manish Chandrayan09/07/2020 08:35:57
645 forum posts
73 photos

Jon,

I would suggest prioritize the 180 petrol development over others. The market has been waiting for a petrol product from the Laser stable.

That inline, the one that you mentioned in earlier posts should be interestingyes

paul d09/07/2020 09:19:10
189 forum posts
22 photos

Just my thoughts but if your going down the route of adding a reduction gearbox then why not go the whole way and develop a engine that's "A true 4 stroke" with in sump lubrication? if nothing else it'll put a end to the how much oil is to much debate.

The gearbox idea is a great one btw, surprised it's not a common feature on larger engines ( of any brand).

Edited By paul d on 09/07/2020 09:36:41

Robert Welford09/07/2020 10:22:42
205 forum posts
4 photos

Jon,

I would be pleased to trial 180 petrol in either Toni Clark Super Cub or Acro Wot XL.

Jon - Laser Engines09/07/2020 10:29:13
5560 forum posts
270 photos
Posted by paul d on 09/07/2020 09:19:10:

Just my thoughts but if your going down the route of adding a reduction gearbox then why not go the whole way and develop a engine that's "A true 4 stroke" with in sump lubrication? if nothing else it'll put a end to the how much oil is to much debate.

The gearbox idea is a great one btw, surprised it's not a common feature on larger engines ( of any brand).

Edited By paul d on 09/07/2020 09:36:41

I dont want this to turn into another what if thread but wet sump is a non starter as we sometimes install our engines the wrong way up so its really not going to work.

As already stated, this is not a speculation thread. The gearbox is just an idea at this stage and the overall configuration of the other engines is already set.

Its a bit like this. You have visited a restaurant and on the menu is chicken, fish and beef. Those are the choices available but there is a survey in the back of the menu asking if you would like to see lasagne next time you visit with a yes or no box by the side of it. That is where we are at with this. petrol chicken, 25-30cc multi fish, 50+cc multi beef. Gearbox, lasagne.

The create your own buffet is closed and the chef will not be best pleased with you if you ask for more salt in his other finished dishes smile p

Doc Marten09/07/2020 10:49:56
630 forum posts
7 photos

I'll confirm and clarify my interest as:

1. Yes, definately interested in a reduction box for future purchased Lasers (I've non over 80 atm).

2. Interested in the multi's for the fututre but not in a position to help with feedback.

Looking forward to seeing all this happen and hearing the announcement you've teased us with! smiley

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator09/07/2020 11:00:05
6765 forum posts
197 photos

Chaps, please can we try & stick to the topic under discussion here.

This thread is for discussion of the new Laser multi cylinder engines, the testing there-of & the interest level in a reduction gearbox. Posts on producing smaller Laser engines & the new low oil fuel, whilst interesting in their own right, are not the subject of this particular thread & simply serve to dilute the topic under discussion....

Many thanks for your co-operation....thumbs up

Manish Chandrayan09/07/2020 11:16:11
645 forum posts
73 photos

"That is where we are at with this. petrol chicken, 25-30cc multi fish, 50+cc multi beef. Gearbox, lasagne."

Let's taste the Petrol fired chicken while you do the fish and beef to perfection. wink

David Davis09/07/2020 11:42:03
3782 forum posts
724 photos

If you are going to send an engine to Canada then I suppose that I could volunteer for a 30cc petrol and you could send it to France. I could bolt it to my WOT 4 XL which is currently fitted with one of your old Laser 150 V twins but if the engines have to be fully cowled, that leaves me out.

first run up in years (9).jpg

Michael Black09/07/2020 11:51:25
67 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Jon

you sent me a PM regards 30cc engines I can’t read it, it says “Member does not have a public profile “

mick

its okay sorted

Edited By Michael Black on 09/07/2020 11:53:28

jeffrey hartnoll09/07/2020 12:16:44
1 forum posts

Hi John , many thanks for my paired 155s , still no flying down where we are , regarding , new Lasers , have you thought about making larger singles , possibly in the 50 to 60cc range , is there a market for these perhaps Jeff H

Jon - Laser Engines09/07/2020 13:24:56
5560 forum posts
270 photos

Michael, i didnt think i needed one. Check your message inbox instead?

DD, i have flown the 180 petrol on the W4XL before and its fine but a bit heavy.

In fact, more clarification is needed here.

180 petrol, fit to to whatever you like. Make it pretty, do all the things your normally would.

New engines (all), find a fence post or similar. Nail engine to end of fence post, add a plank to the top (aerofoil section optional but recommended) and sprinkle with radio gear. Stick a cowl of some sort (gallon bucket??) on the front..fly. Keep flying until something breaks.

Prizes on offer for the ugliest and most agricultural looking test plank.

John Stainforth09/07/2020 13:54:06
367 forum posts
64 photos

Thanks for opening my eyes, Jon. I now see there are model aircraft all around my house and garden just dying to get airborne. The only thing I am a bit short of, at the moment, is nails.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!