New VTOL flying wing project 😈

(Build log, IN PROGRESS)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Matthew Rendeverance10/07/2020 11:03:51
8 forum posts
31 photos

Hi all!

After a few years I've decided to finally dust off my models and start a project I've been pondering for a few years now, and I think after 4 it's time to build my S800 Sky Shadow laugh

So first off, RIP grasshopper drone, I bought you to see what flying a racing drone was like, but since that I've kept to my other drones and tilt rotor for my drone based needs, so I'm afraid your time is up!!!...

Now time to chop the S800 up... surprise

Thoughts, opinions, etc welcome.

The idea for this is to be able to play with thrust vectoring on a wing, the drone measured approximately 3.6 to 3.8kg static thrust on a bench with the selected props and 4s power. The motors are 2300kv 2205s, and the escs are flycolour raptors... I think 30a. I aim to run 4s, 1300/1500mah packs, possibly two of them if I'm not pushing my luck with the weight (which I think I will be, hence keeping to same batteries as my tilt rotor uses for now)

I am planning to use a drone control board with the aircraft taking off and landing virtically from its tail.

This will be done in a drone 'horizontal' control mode. Then to switch to forward flight one switches to 'acro' (attitude hold), and throttles up while pitching forward. Once in forward flight it should hopefully be very nimble in the air and not rip itself apart.

I plan to mix in the two control surface controls with the drone controller board. I mounted the 'x' plate just behind the COG of the wing, and yeah... That's where I am as of today 09JUL20

As I said, any comments, advice or otherwise, please feel free to chime in...

Also just sorted out and partially rebuilt my drift car out... Running since 2004 ��

Matthew Rendeverance10/07/2020 12:46:14
8 forum posts
31 photos

... actually I am not sure if this should be here or in the build logs section, but as a new member to the forum despite modelling for 20+ years I wanted to say hi and introduce myself, so, yeah, hi! teeth 2

As I said, this is supposed to be an interesting experiment, that has been delayed a couple of years now due to life 'events'. I know it will be stabilised in flight so not the 'purest' form of flying, (I have my powered glider for that), but it should hopefully be 'fun'. I enjoy modelling to try things I couldn't do otherwise and I enjoy the build and engineering to make things work and test new theories - so very few of my models are anything like the manufacturers intended devil

I am interested to see if she flies though so will try to update this as things progress - interested to see people's thoughts as things unfold.

Dad_flyer10/07/2020 23:53:50
311 forum posts
315 photos

Interesting project.

john stones 111/07/2020 00:27:27
11597 forum posts
1517 photos

Way out my depth with what you're doing, so Hi Matthew is all I've got. wink

Should be an Interesting blog though. yes

Matthew Rendeverance11/07/2020 14:56:11
8 forum posts
31 photos

Cheers guys...

Basically I wanted to do something mad and super manouverable, so yes, here she is, updates will follow yes

Is anyone on here any good with betaflight or similar?

I'm wanting to mix the servos in to roll and pitch, but keep it done by the controller. I know how to channel forward, but this is not suitable as I need it to work in harmony with the motor throttles.

Yes it sounds complicated but it's actually quite simple what I want to achieve, but in practice it's never the way is it? laugh

Matthew Rendeverance12/07/2020 12:21:44
8 forum posts
31 photos

So... Fuse now glued up with a few extra wing mounting 'spars', power distribution board in and escs and motors in place...devil

(Edit, pictures are in reverse for some reason 😂

​​​​​​img_20200710_153318214_hdr.jpgimg_20200710_185149751_hdr.jpgimg_20200710_152901312_hdr.jpgimg_20200710_145202396_hdr.jpgimg_20200710_145122051_hdr.jpg

Edited By Matthew Rendeverance on 12/07/2020 12:22:28

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!