By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Painting/masking a doped Polyspan covered model.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
martin collins 110/07/2020 18:04:03
429 forum posts
199 photos

Ok, the Jodel is ready for some paint, the full size i am modelling it on is white with a blue cowl area which then curves, runs along the front of the wing and also into a stripe which runs down to the tail. Undecided whether to airbrush the whole airframe white then add the blue or leave the frame `oh natural` and just ad the blue, it is supposed to be a vintage build so maybe just the blue, opinions? I will be using Tamiya acrylic paint, the model is electric.

Also, will the masking (frog tape and a thin automotive mask tape) pull the finish off the surface? Final question, airbrush or good quality hand brush, what have you guys done with good results? Sorry for all the questions, very pleased with the model so far so want the finished item to look good. Decided against coloured tissue for the trim. This forum is great, had so much good advice during my last couple of builds yes img_20200705_103200_resized_20200705_105031314.jpg

Edited By martin collins 1 on 10/07/2020 18:11:46

Tim C10/07/2020 18:17:11
527 forum posts
278 photos

My Lil Cub is covered in Polyspan, I used waterbased Floor Varnish rather than dope to seal the surface. The paint is hand brushed Dulux tester pots, though I airbrushed the tail surfaces, you be hard pressed to tell the difference. This was sealed with a water based matt varnish, hand brushed. You should be fine with frog tape. I would use the low tack version, a lot will depend on the paint you use, but I have had no bother maskinmg on other models

e367cfea-64e8-4741-b782-9a75b5cceca4.jpeg2e508050-d17a-4499-870c-8a694efbbd5c.jpeg

Edited By Tim C on 10/07/2020 18:17:24

Bob Cotsford10/07/2020 18:37:50
8650 forum posts
483 photos

Lay down the tape then seal it by running a brushfull of clear dope or clear acrylic along the edge, it will stop the colour creeping under. If the colour trim is a small area, ie a narrow trim strip, I'd just brush it in, much quicker all round.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!