Forum sponsored by CML

Ballerina by EarlyBird

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Miller14/08/2020 13:41:41
11343 forum posts
1332 photos
10 articles

That is a great fit. Better than mine usually is!!

EarlyBird14/08/2020 15:00:51
349 forum posts
267 photos

Come on you are just being modest!

Anyway I had to go out in the garden to harvest onions. I can keep admiring it every time I come in to the kitchen. Modest! I am not laugh

Compared to the kits I have built before this really has gone together well. It is obvious that the other kits did not have good designers. For sure I have joined your fan base Peter.

Cheers beer

Steve

EarlyBird15/08/2020 10:36:59
349 forum posts
267 photos

Time to use the last two laser cut parts. smiley

Wing fixing.

Drilled out and fitted LE dowel and tried the TE ply plate.

dscn0505.jpg

Used scrap balsa as location fixings for the ply plate.

dscn0506.jpg

Fitted blind nuts to the plate and screwed the wing bolts in from the wrong side. Placed the plate on the scrap balsa locators.

dscn0507.jpg

Pressed the wings down on the screws to mark the hole placing.

dscn0508.jpg

Drilled them and adjusted to fit like so.

dscn0510.jpg

As is my usual method this is all dry fit.

Looks like I can get the glue out again.

Cheers beer

Steve

Peter Miller15/08/2020 11:16:58
11343 forum posts
1332 photos
10 articles

Looking very good.

I have a couple of nylon wing bolts with no headsand I have sharpened these witha pencil sharpener.

I screw these into the blind nuts and press down..

Basically the same method that you have used but they can be screwed in from the outside which makes life a touch easier

EarlyBird15/08/2020 12:01:02
349 forum posts
267 photos

Thanks Peter,

I do like to innovate but yes I did copy your method,

I was not reinventing the wheel.

The only difficulty I have is with the ply formers and ply doublers in that I can not push pins in to hold parts in place while they dry. Using scrap balsa glued in place to act as a location guide has worked for me in the past. Surprisingly, well it was the first time, these scraps do not need pinning in place just held for a few seconds for the glue to form an initial grab. This time I realised idea that I could dry fit everything with the bolts screwed from the wrong side and the plate resting on the balsa guides. Being lazy, obviously, I took the easy route. Hmm I wonder whom I could have got a job with.

Final trial assembly is approaching and I am starting to think about colour schemes. I need colours that everyone can see so that they keep out of my way. I think the colour of your car would fit the bill. Jacintha?

I am having fun.

Cheers beer

Steve

Peter Miller15/08/2020 13:46:51
11343 forum posts
1332 photos
10 articles

The big thing is to have very different colours underneath. I favour either light with big black squares under the wing or dark with big white squares so you really know which way up it is.

Club members have learned from me when they have NOT done that. The comment "Now I see why you do that!" is not unkown.

ORange on top is pretty good but you only see the top when it is upside down sothe choice is yours. I like fancy shapes on top but they can be a pain when repairing a model

EarlyBird15/08/2020 19:35:03
349 forum posts
267 photos

Thanks Peter,

I have noticed many builds with light/bright colours on top and dark underneath which makes sense.

First I have to finish the build but I am one step closer today.

dscn0511.jpg

The first trial fit of the complete airframe. smiley

There is plenty of shaping and sanding to do before I can start the covering.

Another great day in Lincolnshire.

Cheers beer

Steve

EarlyBird16/08/2020 09:46:15
349 forum posts
267 photos

I have been thinking about colour schemes and Peter's advice is something I have observed others do and done myself by accident. I like doing the right thing by accident.

As an example my last build. A HK Spacewalker.

dscn0512.jpg

dscn0513.jpg

The dark blue on the underside was by accident because it was the only colour I had left. Only part way there as I did not include a light colour, big white squares for example.

For the Ballerina dark blue with some white on the underside and white/jacinth on top would work thinking Hmmm

Cheers beer

Steve

EarlyBird16/08/2020 20:27:14
349 forum posts
267 photos

Not a lot done today. I put it down to a lack of motivation due to the weather. Mid August and the max temp is 18 C with wind and rain. Not good for sanding outside. OpenTX also grabbed my attention.

But I achieved my minimum target which is to do something on the build.

Here it is, tail wheel fitted to the rudder.

dscn0517.jpg

As the tailwheel is fitted to the rudder I could start covering!

Cheers beer

Steve

EarlyBird17/08/2020 20:25:33
349 forum posts
267 photos

Fitted the tail wheel bracket which took all morning. What two screws! Unfortunately the design is for a tail skid, another bright idea of mine to use a steerable tail wheel which added complications. The underside of the fuselage is not at a right angle to the rudder hinge so I had to make a wedge from 1/16" ply. My first attempt did not fit very well so I tried again and made a better job of it.

dscn0523.jpg

Took it apart and adjusted the wing seating on the fuselage which involved multiple assembly, check, disassemble and adjust iterations. When finally happy with the fit, or deciding that it would do, I moved on to sanding the wings ready for covering.

Another good days work here in North Lincolnshire.

Tomorrow I will work on the fuselage. Fit the battery hatch and more sanding is needed to get it ready for covering.

Cheers beer

Steve

Peter Miller17/08/2020 21:07:25
11343 forum posts
1332 photos
10 articles

Personally I find that my fixed tailwheel works perfectly well. But then I do fly from grass

EarlyBird18/08/2020 08:01:59
349 forum posts
267 photos

I did consider using a fixed tailwheel and assumed it would taxi but as I had a steerable tailwheel on the shelf I decided to use it and make absolutely certain that I could taxi back to the flight line.

Little did I know the difficulty I would encounter fitting it.

Not to worry it is done now.

Next time I will know what is in store for me. laugh

Cheers beer

Steve

EarlyBird18/08/2020 18:51:29
349 forum posts
267 photos

As promised started on the fuselage, more specifically the battery hatch. The hinges needed lining up.

Like so

dscn0524.jpg

Then magnets fitting.

dscn0525.jpg

Then back to the wings to carve out for the under carriage.

dscn0526.jpg

I also did some sanding and shaping on the wings.

Test fit again!

dscn0527.jpg

There you have it, another good days work that is way above my minimum target.

I have a delivery from SLEC tomorrow with the wire and fixings for the undercarriage. This will be my first time for bending wire. No problem I hope.

Cheers beer

Steve

EarlyBird19/08/2020 19:22:39
349 forum posts
267 photos

This morning it was not raining and there was only a light breeze. smiley

Was at the field by 07:30 and had three good flights before the wind picked up and the clouds rolled in.

Home for my second coffee and while waiting for the delivery I sanded and shaped the fuselage, battery hatch and cowl.

Delivery from SLEC arrived. I bent the undercarriage, finding it very easy to do.

Not so easy was fitting it to the wings.

Here we are, one wheel on my plane (wagon).

dscn0528.jpg

With the second leg ready.

That will be tomorrow.

Cheers beer

Steve

EarlyBird20/08/2020 17:12:16
349 forum posts
267 photos

Second leg fitted.

dscn0529.jpg

Seemed a lot easier than the first one, due to having practiced on the first I guess.

Elevator halves joined.

dscn0530.jpg

Next is to prepare for the covering. Which starts with a big clean up so that I do not get balsa dust under the covering this time. sad Then repair the dints and dings in the balsa caused by my ham fisted handling.

I am beginning to think it will not be long before the maiden.

Cheers beer

Steve

EarlyBird21/08/2020 10:48:35
349 forum posts
267 photos

Found the vacuum cleaner this morning and cleaned the house top to bottom, eventually making my way to the dinning room/workshop.

Then took everything apart.

dscn0533.jpg

dscn0532.jpg

dscn0531.jpg

Did a final check on the tail feathers. Only some light sanding required. Cleaned up again frown. Cleaning will be an ongoing process from now on.

Next get out the paint brush and start the sanding sealer. Yes then sand and clean again. laugh

Cheers beer

Steve

EarlyBird21/08/2020 18:30:50
349 forum posts
267 photos

Tail feathers varnished and drying.

dscn0534.jpg

Working on the cowl fixing. On the bottom are keyholes and screws.

dscn0536.jpg

The top is held in place by two screws in the battery bay.

dscn0535.jpg

These hold the cowl in place and pull it against the fire wall thereby minimising the gap.

Seems to work but time will tell.

When the cowl was fixed in place I was able to sand the joint flush, more sanding and more cleaning I know!

As I can't find anything else that needs doing to the fuselage it will get a coat of acrylic varnish next. Then I must make sure the wings are perfect, unfortunately once covered it is too late.

Cheers beer

Steve

Peter Miller21/08/2020 21:05:39
11343 forum posts
1332 photos
10 articles

I wonder who uses varnish etc under iron on film

EarlyBird22/08/2020 05:11:30
349 forum posts
267 photos

Obviously I do but who else does?

Trevor22/08/2020 09:07:01
480 forum posts
60 photos

I never did, for over 30 years. Then last year I was recommended Eze-Kote from Deluxe materials. I used it on my latest build and it definitely toughens up the wood, making it less prone to bruising with the edge of the iron. Too early to say what the long term benefits are though.

Trevor

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!