Forum sponsored by CML

Ballerina by EarlyBird

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Trevor23/09/2020 08:22:53
508 forum posts
61 photos

Decalage!

Put simply, relative rigging angles of wing and tailplane. Personally, I'd leave it alone. Since the tail has to produce a downforce for stability, the bit of negative camber introduced by your trim could even be argued to be improving its efficiency!

Trevor

Peter Miller23/09/2020 10:21:04
11503 forum posts
1369 photos
10 articles

Even full size aircraft have variations in trim,

One extreme example. When I first joined the RAF my first posting was to St Mawgan where the School of Maritime Reconnaissance was based which actually flew Lancasters.

I was lucky enough as an airframe Mechanic to fly on three air tests after servicing. One of the tests was to stall the aircraft. They would pull the nose up until it just dropped and once the speed picked up it would fly away normally.

On one air test the aircraft refused to stall. They pulled the nose up and it didn't drop. It just wallowed and sank down steadily until they let the nose drop and then it just carried on flying. I am told that they never did work out why kit did that.

An extreme example but it just shows that apparently identical aircraft can have very different characteristics

john stones 123/09/2020 12:38:50
11702 forum posts
1517 photos

Mine was fine, have a look at motor mount, maybe tilt up slightly.

EarlyBird23/09/2020 18:39:13
458 forum posts
328 photos

Thanks for the input Trevor, Peter and John.

Once I have sorted out the YEP ESC, I did not like flying in Heli mode, then I will adjust the wing incidence by packing up the trailing edge with 1/16" ply plate ( or is that down as it is a low winger? Hmm thinking I guess it is.)

It does fly fine as it is.

Anyway this is interesting and adds to the fun.

Cheers beer

Steve

EarlyBird28/09/2020 14:44:58
458 forum posts
328 photos

Flew this morning having reprogrammed the YEP ESC so that is not in Heli mode also added the 1/16" ply plate too increase the wing incidence.

A really good six minute flight leaving 80% in the battery which is a 4000mah 4S. I don't think the ply plate made any significant difference to the elevator trim.

It crossed my mind that if I increase the speed then I can reduce the elevator trim, which makes it fly faster. So am I trying to fly too slowly for the wing loading?

Hmmmmm thinking

Interesting.

Cheers beer

Steve

EarlyBird29/09/2020 21:08:26
458 forum posts
328 photos

After some more thinking I have decided that the 4000mah 4S battery is too big, both weight and capacity. It will give me over 12 minutes flight time, way too long for me. I was originally going to use a 2200 4S, I have three and nothing to use them in, but I was running out of space in the battery bay for lead so I used the bigger battery, it seemed like a bright idea at the time. The 2200 should give me 8 minutes which is ample. So the next step is to use the 2200 and place lead in the cowl for balance.

For me this is all very interesting.

Peter this has to be the easiest model that I have ever flown, to say I am impressed would be an understatement.

Thank you.

Cheers beer

Steve

Peter Miller29/09/2020 21:11:08
11503 forum posts
1369 photos
10 articles

I flew mine on a 3S 3000 battery.

I don't think that I have had anyone fail to like the model and it was the mass build a couple of years ago.

Edited By Peter Miller on 29/09/2020 21:11:46

EarlyBird30/09/2020 07:44:28
458 forum posts
328 photos

You converted to electric? surprise

How can anyone not like your brilliant design?

Cheers beer

Steve

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!