Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Masks

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
fly boy325/07/2020 12:22:29
3757 forum posts
22 photos

Advice required please. As a vunerable adult due to age lol. I need to know what type of masks you guys may be using. There is a bewildering amount of advice out there e g . Washable, single use, medical, etc and at varying prices. I gree you cannot put a price on safety, but we must be reasonable. Thanks ps I did see a video of masks being made in the Far East being put into boxes from a dirty floor !!!

Engine Doctor25/07/2020 12:31:34
2595 forum posts
40 photos

Hi There are plenty of designs available on line . My daughter-in-law made a few . I believe the material should be of a type that will allow moisture to be absorbed so trapping any virus that is airborne on a water droplet/aerosol. Wont give you immunity but if it stops me spluttering droplets when in shops etc then they can only help.

I was amazed yesterday at the number of people in shops etc that were not wearing any mask ! Shop keepers weren't saying anything to them but who can blame them ?

last evening there was an add on the telly selling 50 masks for £13 . Dont know if they are the "specials " in the videos thoughsurprise

GONZO25/07/2020 13:28:02
1390 forum posts
14 photos

From what I understand on the use of masks is that the N95 respirator is the only effective one but must be worn correctly(not that straight forward), not messed with or moved when on and changed regularly (a time of 1hr max sticks in my mind). To me it seems illogical that it is now becoming mandatory but was not earlier on when it would have had more impact. Plus, if you are wearing a mask and believe it is effective why would you care, violently from what I've seen, if others don't and potentially put themselves at risk. Any slight contamination of the immediate environment by non mask wearers(if they are infectious) is negated by your personal hygiene precautions of using gloves or hand sanitisation/washing. As an aside I checked the map for virus cases in the whole of North Wales during the week, it stood at only 82.

Martin Harris25/07/2020 13:35:44
9505 forum posts
256 photos

The use of masks in shops etc. is not designed to protect the wearer - it is to protect others from someone (hopefully) unaware that they are infectious passing on the virus. For this purpose, a simple cloth covering limits infected droplets being released into the air. Not wearing a mask in these situations is, I've come to realise, anti-social, irresponsible and indicative of an individual's inability to comprehend the situation.

We're not all lucky enough to live in a remote area but it only takes one infected person in a closed environment to pass on the virus to several others. One or more of them could die from it.

Edited By Martin Harris on 25/07/2020 13:39:17

Mowerman25/07/2020 13:59:19
1559 forum posts
105 photos

dust mask.jpg

Do you think this would be OTT ?

GONZO25/07/2020 14:12:44
1390 forum posts
14 photos

Martin, then a cotton handkerchief folded and held over the mouth would suffice. As I previously said, personal hygiene would negate contamination from picking up droplets. I'm certainly not convinced and I'm in the 'shielded' category so I shall be considered 'anti social'. I'll be even more vilified when the so called vaccine comes along as that's something I'll not take. Especially as there is considerable doubt as to the veracity of the death rate figures, the government actually calling for an investigation into them.

Paul C.25/07/2020 14:16:35
677 forum posts
159 photos

We are in fuerteventura for 2 weeks hols everyone over here wears face coverings in shops we have not seen anyone flouting the rules. There are police about but not in great numbers but they will fine you if you transgress we are reliably informed. Tourists of all nationalities are here although not in great numbers, everyone appears to be playing nice at the moment.

😎

GONZO25/07/2020 14:24:03
1390 forum posts
14 photos

Mowerman, not enough, not near enough protection. I was considering making a form of 'spaceman' helmet with a wooden frame covered with laminating film and a bottom 'skirt' that could be tucked under my jumper or shirt. I thought I'd call it the 'Buzz lightyear' protection hood and have the logo written across the rear. Along with a wheelie bin plastic liner over my body taped up at the wrists and feet. Toped off with rubber gardening boots and a nice new pair of 'marigold's .What do you think?

Martin Harris25/07/2020 14:24:25
9505 forum posts
256 photos
Posted by GONZO on 25/07/2020 14:12:44:

Martin, then a cotton handkerchief folded and held over the mouth would suffice. As I previously said, personal hygiene would negate contamination from picking up droplets. I'm certainly not convinced and I'm in the 'shielded' category so I shall be considered 'anti social'. I'll be even more vilified when the so called vaccine comes along as that's something I'll not take. Especially as there is considerable doubt as to the veracity of the death rate figures, the government actually calling for an investigation into them.

Yes, a hankerchief would suffice but holding it over the mouth would not be advisable. In times like this I believe we should be considerate to others and the slight inconvenience of covering your face could save somebody from dying. There is evidence that airborne transmission from breath droplets can occur more easily in an indoor situation.

Make light of it if you will - and your situation may reduce the likelihood of transmission over an urban environment, but personal expressions of freedom for the individual don't seem to count for much against the risk of killing somebody else.

Edited By Martin Harris on 25/07/2020 14:29:42

Stephen Jones25/07/2020 14:34:31
2885 forum posts
1657 photos

If mask help prevent the spread of Covid.

And Covid originated from china.

And the vast population of china have been wearing mask for the past 10 years .

Then how did it spread.

Or am i missing something question

Martin Harris25/07/2020 14:35:22
9505 forum posts
256 photos

I think you may be.  Consider the word "help" in your post.

Edited By Martin Harris on 25/07/2020 14:36:12

GONZO25/07/2020 14:48:16
1390 forum posts
14 photos

But what is the risk that I would kill some one? Vanishingly small to non existent I believe. If its not done effectively with an effective mask it's not worth doing, unless it's just a visible sign of conformity. Ineffective masks used incorrectly are more likely to spread/cause infection. The video's I've seen of officials and the general public using cheap masks and fiddling with them by rubbing their nose/face using un washed/sanitised hands, taking them down round their chins and worst of all taking them off putting them down of a non sterile surface and then putting them back on again. This all supposes that the mask is sterile to start with.

I take the risk of killing some one every time I drive my car, like we all do.

john stones 125/07/2020 15:13:18
11655 forum posts
1517 photos

Please don't start a mask war. sad

I have NO idea who, what or where, I do know folk want to get on with their lives, save their jobs, business, wear the mask.

Which one ? Not the disposable type, it'll create yet another mountain of rubbish to deal with

Martin Harris25/07/2020 15:25:27
9505 forum posts
256 photos
Posted by GONZO on 25/07/2020 14:48:16:

But what is the risk that I would kill some one? Vanishingly small to non existent I believe. If its not done effectively with an effective mask it's not worth doing, unless it's just a visible sign of conformity. Ineffective masks used incorrectly are more likely to spread/cause infection. The video's I've seen of officials and the general public using cheap masks and fiddling with them by rubbing their nose/face using un washed/sanitised hands, taking them down round their chins and worst of all taking them off putting them down of a non sterile surface and then putting them back on again. This all supposes that the mask is sterile to start with.

I take the risk of killing some one every time I drive my car, like we all do.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Reducing aerosol infection can only be a good thing and yes, people do need to be made more aware of good practice. Your risks of transmitting infection may be small, but you can't claim total immunity.

Do you feel it's OK to drive around with no regard to speed limits, servicing, tyre condition, health, eyesight requirements, alcohol or drugs impairment etc? Adherence to any and all of these restrictions to personal liberty is widely accepted as reducing the risks of killing someone with your car - even if you only drive down country lanes to the local shop.

john stones 125/07/2020 15:30:02
11655 forum posts
1517 photos

Clunk click every trip, wear a bike helmet, political correctness gone mad I tell you. FREEDOM.

Put your mask on, so folk can get on with their lives, if we're all still wearing them for years and Bill Gates has micro chipped us, you can sit smugly and say "Told Ya".

Martin Harris25/07/2020 15:37:23
9505 forum posts
256 photos

Convert to Sikhism and buy a pre mid-60s car and you can excercise your freedoms to kill yourself on a motorbike without a helmet or fly through your windscreen to your heart's content!

john stones 125/07/2020 15:43:52
11655 forum posts
1517 photos

I converted to Fedupism, next step is Lifebackism.

Bob Cotsford25/07/2020 15:48:38
8758 forum posts
489 photos

I'll be largely back to avoiding the shops as I suffer from COPD, though it would be an interesting exercise to see how the public reacts to someone not wearing a mask. I tried a mask last Wednesday in Sainsbury's and got maybe 15 yards before it had to come off as I was struggling to breathe through it, my misted glasses not helping but that's a minor side-effect of the mask.

john stones 125/07/2020 15:54:46
11655 forum posts
1517 photos
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 25/07/2020 15:48:38:

I'll be largely back to avoiding the shops as I suffer from COPD, though it would be an interesting exercise to see how the public reacts to someone not wearing a mask. I tried a mask last Wednesday in Sainsbury's and got maybe 15 yards before it had to come off as I was struggling to breathe through it, my misted glasses not helping but that's a minor side-effect of the mask.

Mind how you go Bob, careful of the mask Nazis, tolerance is at a low ebb these days sadly.

Mike Blandford25/07/2020 16:14:54
651 forum posts
25 photos

Bob, the requirement (as I understand it) is for a "face covering", not specifically a mask. A face shield qualifies so you might try one of those instead. My wife got us a couple of face shields that we use when food shopping, more comfortable than a mask and you can breathe more easily.

Mike

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!